5 weeks dieting and exercising, no weight lost. HELP!

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    shanika88 wrote: »
    I know it sounds ridiculous but try weighing out your rice and almond butter every day. I found my 2tbsp of peanut butter was always about 50-100 calories over and I didn't overfill the measuring thing. I also found cereal when I measured it (1/2c) and then weighed to compare, it was actually about 50-75 calories over. Might be similar for rice especially because rice can vary greatly depending on how packed it is in the measuring cup. I've found baby carrots are usually more than 4 calories per carrot. 10 for me is usually around 50-60.

If you are off by a few hundred calories it could easily cause this stall since you are sill losing albeit at a slow pace. It makes sense that you are just losing slowly if you are eating a few hundred more than expected. It sounds like you are doing great but you are just losing very slowly right? I know how frustrating it must be but I really think if you weigh out all your food for awhile you can figure out if you are a bit over and if not, then eliminate that as a possibility you know.

This is a very eye opening thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10543923/why-should-i-use-a-food-scale/p1

I’m being belligerent about the whole while weighing thing because I’ve done this exact same diet before (except I ONLY measured foods) and had a lower level of activity where I worked out 2-3 and lost weight at a rate of 1-1.5 lbs per week. For me, I work 7 days a week and even though I prep most foods at home, I have to prepare or measure some of my food on the go, so it’s much more feasible for me to bring a measuring cup rather than a scale and start weighing out foods while I’m at work.

I’m getting frustrated because I’m more precise than I was before. Yeah, okay okay I’ll weigh the stupid rice and freaking almond butter if people really think that’s the problem, but I’m having Hard time believing it’s the reason I’m not losing. I actually gained back that 1.2 lbs so I’m a little grumpy.

weight loss is also not linear so if you lose one day and are up 1.2 lbs it could be water retention or waste retention or a fluctuation from that time of the month.some weeks you will lose,some you may gain and some the scale wont budge at all. as you get older your body changes so what might have worked before may not work now,you may have to be more accurate.

I lost weight using measuring cups at first and moving more. but then after several months I started gaining the weight back,couldnt understand why. I was eating the same amount of calories for a higher weight and eating more calories than I needed. once I came here and entered my info and started using a food scale the weight started coming off. its really easy to be off on food and eat more than you think,I have been there and done that.

Fair point, but even if I’m off by 500 calories, which I don’t think I am, I should still be at a deficit. And I understand weight loss isn’t linear, but that 1.2 pound weight gain put me right back where I started meaning I haven’t lost any weight at all in nearly two months. I’m only 29 and this diet worked for me last year, not a decade ago or something like that. I simply have a hard time believing that weighing rather than measuring two things is going to magically make the weight start to fall off. I’ve also stated earlier that when I miss a snack I feel dizzy so if I am somehow underestimating my calories, I don’t see how I can possibly cut any out. I’m hungry half the day as it is.

Someone also suggested eating my exercise calories back since my activity levels have gone up but I don’t really know much about that and with my body not shedding any weight, I’m concerned I’ll just gain weight.

like I said just weigh everything for a month and see where you are in a months time. if you arent losing any weight and gaining weight then its time to go have blood work done to rule out a health issue,could there be a possibility of being pregnant? just a thought.

I have a metabolic issue and weight loss is slower for me and I have to eat less than what MFP gives me. but thats because of my issue. my metabolism is wonky. even if I am active all day and get a workout in and burn 500 calories a day in exercise alone there are times I dont lose 1lb like I should. There have been times its taken me a month to lose even half a lb. its hard for me to lose it but seems really easy to gain it back so I know the struggle.

so yeah try weighing it all for a month like I said and go from there. issues can crop up all the time even if we dont have any symptoms. if you are dizzy I would see a dr because it can mean you are eating too little calories(which should mean weight loss ) or something else is going on. and being hungry can mean somethings off.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Switch out some of that rice for veg. The trade-off on volume versus calories is huge, and will fill you up more.

Rice is easy and delicious, but can take up a good bit of calories if not careful. It is why that was the first bit I commented on for weighing. I know it is annoying, but thank you for trusting us and trying on this one!
  • renee8865
    renee8865 Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Switch out some of that rice for veg. The trade-off on volume versus calories is huge, and will fill you up more.

Rice is easy and delicious, but can take up a good bit of calories if not careful. It is why that was the first bit I commented on for weighing. I know it is annoying, but thank you for trusting us and trying on this one!

I traded out for cauliflower rice yesterday. Even before I was eating ONE HALF cup. It's not like I was pounding down the rice.
  • renee8865
    Options
    I weighed everything yesterday. I'm now up another 1.2 pounds. I give up. Embracing the fatass life.
  • renee8865
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I know it sounds ridiculous but try weighing out your rice and almond butter every day. I found my 2tbsp of peanut butter was always about 50-100 calories over and I didn't overfill the measuring thing. I also found cereal when I measured it (1/2c) and then weighed to compare, it was actually about 50-75 calories over. Might be similar for rice especially because rice can vary greatly depending on how packed it is in the measuring cup. I've found baby carrots are usually more than 4 calories per carrot. 10 for me is usually around 50-60.

If you are off by a few hundred calories it could easily cause this stall since you are sill losing albeit at a slow pace. It makes sense that you are just losing slowly if you are eating a few hundred more than expected. It sounds like you are doing great but you are just losing very slowly right? I know how frustrating it must be but I really think if you weigh out all your food for awhile you can figure out if you are a bit over and if not, then eliminate that as a possibility you know.

This is a very eye opening thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10543923/why-should-i-use-a-food-scale/p1

I’m being belligerent about the whole while weighing thing because I’ve done this exact same diet before (except I ONLY measured foods) and had a lower level of activity where I worked out 2-3 and lost weight at a rate of 1-1.5 lbs per week. For me, I work 7 days a week and even though I prep most foods at home, I have to prepare or measure some of my food on the go, so it’s much more feasible for me to bring a measuring cup rather than a scale and start weighing out foods while I’m at work.

I’m getting frustrated because I’m more precise than I was before. Yeah, okay okay I’ll weigh the stupid rice and freaking almond butter if people really think that’s the problem, but I’m having Hard time believing it’s the reason I’m not losing. I actually gained back that 1.2 lbs so I’m a little grumpy.

weight loss is also not linear so if you lose one day and are up 1.2 lbs it could be water retention or waste retention or a fluctuation from that time of the month.some weeks you will lose,some you may gain and some the scale wont budge at all. as you get older your body changes so what might have worked before may not work now,you may have to be more accurate.

I lost weight using measuring cups at first and moving more. but then after several months I started gaining the weight back,couldnt understand why. I was eating the same amount of calories for a higher weight and eating more calories than I needed. once I came here and entered my info and started using a food scale the weight started coming off. its really easy to be off on food and eat more than you think,I have been there and done that.

Fair point, but even if I’m off by 500 calories, which I don’t think I am, I should still be at a deficit. And I understand weight loss isn’t linear, but that 1.2 pound weight gain put me right back where I started meaning I haven’t lost any weight at all in nearly two months. I’m only 29 and this diet worked for me last year, not a decade ago or something like that. I simply have a hard time believing that weighing rather than measuring two things is going to magically make the weight start to fall off. I’ve also stated earlier that when I miss a snack I feel dizzy so if I am somehow underestimating my calories, I don’t see how I can possibly cut any out. I’m hungry half the day as it is.

Someone also suggested eating my exercise calories back since my activity levels have gone up but I don’t really know much about that and with my body not shedding any weight, I’m concerned I’ll just gain weight.

like I said just weigh everything for a month and see where you are in a months time. if you arent losing any weight and gaining weight then its time to go have blood work done to rule out a health issue,could there be a possibility of being pregnant? just a thought.

I have a metabolic issue and weight loss is slower for me and I have to eat less than what MFP gives me. but thats because of my issue. my metabolism is wonky. even if I am active all day and get a workout in and burn 500 calories a day in exercise alone there are times I dont lose 1lb like I should. There have been times its taken me a month to lose even half a lb. its hard for me to lose it but seems really easy to gain it back so I know the struggle.

so yeah try weighing it all for a month like I said and go from there. issues can crop up all the time even if we dont have any symptoms. if you are dizzy I would see a dr because it can mean you are eating too little calories(which should mean weight loss ) or something else is going on. and being hungry can mean somethings off.

I'll definitely try it. I weighed everything yesterday and worked out at Orange Theory for 1 hour and woke up 1.2 pounds heavier than yesterday. It's so discouraging. I know I shouldn't focus on the scale, but I also know I can't possible look the way I want to look at nearly 170 lbs. I HAVE to shed some weight, but it's just not happening. I'll try another month and weigh everything as suggested, but if it keeps going up I guess I'll go see my doctor and see what's going on. I'll go sooner if I feel dizzy.
  • renee8865
    edited February 2018
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    If your weight is up after doing activity chances are it is DOMS (water retention from new activity). If you are going to weigh daily you should be using a trend app like Libra or Happyscale. Unless you consumed 4200 calories over your maintenance, its not fat.

Do you know if it’s possible to retain water like this for almost two months? Because I ramped up my exercise at the same time as I started focusing more on my diet about 7 weeks ago. Since then I’ve managed to only put on an extra pound.

I have happy scale, but it’s not really helpful for me. It predicts I’ll reach my final goal in over a year IF I can lose .5/week, which obviously I can’t. My current trend is going the wrong direction :(.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If your weight is up after doing activity chances are it is DOMS (water retention from new activity). If you are going to weigh daily you should be using a trend app like Libra or Happyscale. Unless you consumed 4200 calories over your maintenance, its not fat.

Do you know if it’s possible to retain water like this for almost two months? Because I ramped up my exercise at the same time as I started focusing more on my diet about 7 weeks ago. Since then I’ve managed to only put on an extra pound.

If there is a metabolic issue yes, but I think this was brought up in previous responses. It goes back to correct logging as well. Is your diary open? Would you be adverse to someone looking at it to see where there are possible deficits?
  • renee8865
    Options

If there is a metabolic issue yes, but I think this was brought up in previous responses. It goes back to correct logging as well. Is your diary open? Would you be adverse to someone looking at it to see where there are possible deficits?

I don't log in every day and record, but have at it. I just made it public. You'll get a general sense for what I consume each day, as I don't change things up very often. I also don't record my exercise here because it's annoying and I can't ever find the right exercises. But my exercise right now is:
    Monday: 30 minutes Kayla Itsines
    Tuesday: 45 minute walk/jog
    Wednesday: 30 minutes Kayla Itsines
    Thursday: 30 minute run (or rest day depending on how I feel)
    Friday: 30 minutes Kayla Itsines
    Saturday or Sunday: 1 hour Orange Theory Fitness workout
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    So on the days you aren't recording are you eating the exact same thing every day? There are many missing days in January so it would be very hard to say you are in a deficit if you aren't logging. No "cheat" meals?
  • renee8865
    Options
    So on the days you aren't recording are you eating the exact same thing every day? There are many missing days in January so it would be very hard to say you are in a deficit if you aren't logging. No "cheat" meals?

Very nearly. I alternate between snacks with the same amount of calories (an orange or 10 baby carrots, for example), but I buy all my food at the beginning of the week and that's all I eat. I pack and bring all my meals and snacks to work and do not ever eat from vending machines or go get fast food, etc. I've had two cheat meals, one in mid-January and one on February 14th. Other than that, I haven't eaten out or deviated from this boring diet since....January 2nd I think is when I started. I write it all down in a notebook which is why I don't record every day here. It takes up too much of my time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I'll definitely try it. I weighed everything yesterday and worked out at Orange Theory for 1 hour and woke up 1.2 pounds heavier than yesterday. It's so discouraging. I know I shouldn't focus on the scale, but I also know I can't possible look the way I want to look at nearly 170 lbs. I HAVE to shed some weight, but it's just not happening. I'll try another month and weigh everything as suggested, but if it keeps going up I guess I'll go see my doctor and see what's going on. I'll go sooner if I feel dizzy.

weigh first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom if you dont do that already. and increase in exercise can cause water retention. and I have a metabolic disorder so yeah I retain water longer than most people and its aggravating.
  • renee8865
    Options

weigh first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom if you dont do that already. and increase in exercise can cause water retention. and I have a metabolic disorder so yeah I retain water longer than most people and its aggravating.

Oh, I definitely do. First thing in the morning after using the restroom and always in same clothes (underwear + sports bra). :smile:

I can imagine how aggravating that is! Is it something that can't be treated with medication? I don't know much about metabolic disorders.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Oh, I definitely do. First thing in the morning after using the restroom and always in same clothes (underwear + sports bra). :smile:

I can imagine how aggravating that is! Is it something that can't be treated with medication? I don't know much about metabolic disorders.

not really. I have to try and control it with diet and exercise and it causes me to have abnormally high cholesterol when not treated so its low fat/low cholesterol and high fiber. it can lead to diabetes,heart attack,stroke,TIAs and other issues if not under control. as for water retention I just take drink more water and try and keep carbs down a bit lower than I usually do but its hard for me to do sometimes.The weird part is around the 2nd or 3rd day of that time of the month I retain less water lol. I also have rheumatoid arthritis so that can cause water retention too. so far I dont need meds for that.
  • renee8865
    Options

not really. I have to try and control it with diet and exercise and it causes me to have abnormally high cholesterol when not treated so its low fat/low cholesterol and high fiber. it can lead to diabetes,heart attack,stroke,TIAs and other issues if not under control. as for water retention I just take drink more water and try and keep carbs down a bit lower than I usually do but its hard for me to do sometimes.The weird part is around the 2nd or 3rd day of that time of the month I retain less water lol. I also have rheumatoid arthritis so that can cause water retention too. so far I dont need meds for that.

Oh, gosh! I had no idea. Keeping carbs down can definitely be hard. I don't like eating a lot of meat, so I find I can sometimes stray toward the higher carb root veggies in order to feel satiated.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Oh, gosh! I had no idea. Keeping carbs down can definitely be hard. I don't like eating a lot of meat, so I find I can sometimes stray toward the higher carb root veggies in order to feel satiated.

yeah and trying to keep carbs low and fiber higher is also a struggle lol
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Just adding 2 cents worth :)
    I had alot of success here about 7 years ago (back now because I gradually let things slip).

At that time I was 55, 5'7".

One major thing I learned during that time (and had never believed could possibly be true let alone necessary when I first heard folks talking about it) is i HAD to eat back at least 50% of my exercise calories! ... as the more active I became and the less I had to lose (by less I mean down to about 30 or less lbs to lose), the more my weight loss slowed, even reaching point of coming to complete dead stop/plateau for weeks.
    The only thing that got me moving (again) was giving in and starting to eat back those exercise calories. When I saw the scale start moving down again, despite fact I was now eating more, to say I was stunned is putting it mildly.
    Happy mind you..but stunned LOL.
    But with that change I succeeded in reaching my goal and losing 75lbs in approx. 10 months.

Not sure that is your case, but, worth thinking about (in terms of tracking your activities closely).

Good luck!
  • Nickybasu
    Nickybasu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!.Realizing u r doing EVERYTHING RIGHT and not getting any results reminds me of my frustration. It has taken a lot of effort for you, so DO NOT GIVE UP!!! We want to eat right, JUST not to lose weight. BUT making our internal organs well oiled and healthy and keeping us away from the doctors. Please take your time and read my experience (long response).

(1) I can vouch this as I am seeing amazing results in myself. Things I have gone thru don't even wish on my biggest enemy.....after consulting 2 RD (registered dietitian from top med schools) it was unfortunate to feel such a waste of time and money when u don't find a smart, passionate professionals. They didn't even understand my daily activity, emotions and just put me on a 1200 cal diet...they didn't explain what this 1200 cal diet plan actually means to my lifestyle. I am an active person and burn about 2900 avg cal/daily.

(2) After going over intense med research papers I realized the KEY to maintain-lose-gain is the (a) BMR of our body, then my (b) daily activities.

(3) To make it simple, I bought myself a Polar HRM to track my avg daily activity calorie burn. (Mine logs avg 2900/day). I only use the chest strap while doing my training (aerobics, strength, yoga). My daily activity calorie burn in my Polar includes my BMR, training, everything I do all day. I logged every single intake for 7-10 days to get a hang of all my averages (daily burn+daily intake).

(4) My BMR is 1550 (used BMR calculator from search) and as per several medical and sports journal, I added another 300 cal (BMRx.2) required for a sedentary life (working in a desk job etc and practically not much leisure activity). My body would need 1850 to just function daily.

(5) I have planned 6 meals around 1850-1950 cal (90% clean food). Now I can see the results, my avg activity calorie burn - calorie intake (2900-1850 = 1000 calories deficit). I am experiencing avg 1.5 weight loss/week.

(6) I am down 25 lbs in 4 months, without dieting in a real sense. Many of you have also indicated the same approach.....Try this approach 2-3 days and see if it works...Jokes aside, when I can plan my food around 1950 cal, I don't mind logging even micro portion of honey/dessert....:)

Don't give up, U CAN DO IT, Good Luck!!
  • Nickybasu
    Nickybasu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    P.S. Try playing with your Macros....and use zigzag intake every 8-10 days....
  • renee8865
    Options
    Nickybasu wrote: »
    DON'T GIVE UP!.Realizing u r doing EVERYTHING RIGHT and not getting any results reminds me of my frustration. It has taken a lot of effort for you, so DO NOT GIVE UP!!! We want to eat right, JUST not to lose weight. BUT making our internal organs well oiled and healthy and keeping us away from the doctors. Please take your time and read my experience (long response).

(1) I can vouch this as I am seeing amazing results in myself. Things I have gone thru don't even wish on my biggest enemy.....after consulting 2 RD (registered dietitian from top med schools) it was unfortunate to feel such a waste of time and money when u don't find a smart, passionate professionals. They didn't even understand my daily activity, emotions and just put me on a 1200 cal diet...they didn't explain what this 1200 cal diet plan actually means to my lifestyle. I am an active person and burn about 2900 avg cal/daily.

(2) After going over intense med research papers I realized the KEY to maintain-lose-gain is the (a) BMR of our body, then my (b) daily activities.

(3) To make it simple, I bought myself a Polar HRM to track my avg daily activity calorie burn. (Mine logs avg 2900/day). I only use the chest strap while doing my training (aerobics, strength, yoga). My daily activity calorie burn in my Polar includes my BMR, training, everything I do all day. I logged every single intake for 7-10 days to get a hang of all my averages (daily burn+daily intake).

(4) My BMR is 1550 (used BMR calculator from search) and as per several medical and sports journal, I added another 300 cal (BMRx.2) required for a sedentary life (working in a desk job etc and practically not much leisure activity). My body would need 1850 to just function daily.

(5) I have planned 6 meals around 1850-1950 cal (90% clean food). Now I can see the results, my avg activity calorie burn - calorie intake (2900-1850 = 1000 calories deficit). I am experiencing avg 1.5 weight loss/week.

(6) I am down 25 lbs in 4 months, without dieting in a real sense. Many of you have also indicated the same approach.....Try this approach 2-3 days and see if it works...Jokes aside, when I can plan my food around 1950 cal, I don't mind logging even micro portion of honey/dessert....:)

Don't give up, U CAN DO IT, Good Luck!!

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, it just feels so counterintuitive. Like, how could I eat more and lose?! I know there is science behind it and I am really active these days, so I may need to follow a diet similar to yours. My eating is fairly clean I would say, I prep all my meals from organic fruits and veggies and lean protein and any other food I eat is organic and has no extra additives or preservatives. I'll let you know how it goes!