Need food ideas for my 1230 cal goal..I'm burnt out!

Options

Replies

• Avocadolvr
    Avocadolvr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are a week into a "Clean Eating" two week menu plan which we got out of the July 2011 Clean Eating Magazine. We decided to do it for the same reason. To get new ideas about what healthy really is and find new foods we'd like. The foods a bit more expensive than we'd like, lots of produce, but we've gotten some great ideas out of it too. Also, I think you could take some of these ideas and pare them down to be more inexpensive. I'm a picky eater and MOST of this I like. Not all!

Breakfast:
    6 oz Greek yogurt mixed with any berries / bananas / other fruit
    cooked oatmeal mixed with fruit / honey / almonds / peanut or almond butter
    Nature's Path optimum slim cereal with any fruit
    Diced red peppers, onions and fresh spinach added to two egg whites and scrambled

Snacks:
    2 cups cubed watermelon with 1 oz feta cheese
    6 Carrot sticks and 3 tbsp hummus
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt mixed with green grapes and 10 almonds
    1 peach and 1/2 cup greek yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup granola
    1 apple with 2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 cup blackberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 string cheese
    2 tbsp peanut butter mixed with 1 oz melted dark chocolate and 1 banana

Lunch & Dinner:
    the suggestions they give are generally recipes so a little harder to post those, some of the ingredients are:
    Ground turkey
    1 cup cooked Bulgur
    1 broiled lean pork chop
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup Red Bliss Potato and Roasted Garlic Soup
    3 oz lean broiled sirloin
    Tilapia
    4 oz chicken breast
    lean ground beef

Often used veggies:
    Red bell pepper
    Spinach
    Sweet potato
    Zucchini
    Garbanzo beans
    Black beans
    Tomato
    Kalamata Olives
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Red onion
    Mushrooms

Another thing I have seen a lot is substituting greek yogurt for when you maybe would have thought to use sour cream.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful :) I recommend looking into the Clean Eating books by Tosca Reno for more ideas!
  • biederwoman
    biederwoman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love carrot sticks and hummus :)
  • Avocadolvr
    Avocadolvr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @ slp2112: omg i just found and purchased the vitamuffins tonight. can't wait to try one!
  • r_drie
    r_drie Posts: 19
    Options
    Went and looked at your diary and noticed you don't ever seem to eat breakfast. A good healthy breakfast would go a long way in helping curb the hunger throughout the day. I like scrambled eggs with onion and garlic and then eaten with salsa. So good and filling and helps me not snack at all in the morning.
  • sharlin_e
    sharlin_e Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 cal goal and I feel the same way! Especially about getting sick of the tuna salad lunches quickly..I really like nestle diet chocolate mousse (69 cals) and special k chocolate bars (<100cals) when I'm having chocolate cravings. I'm trying to eat mostly just steamed vegetables or soup at night so that I can eat a bit more interesting food during the day. I try to break the routines of eating the same exact meals every day as you're body will get too used to it too quickly. Even if it means i'll be over my 1200 cal goal i feel like it's more beneficial than eating the exact same foods. Feel free to add me or check out my diary. Would be good to get ideas off each other for low cal meal plans
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If you've been logging all your food, I don't even see you actually eat all the 1200+ as your setting. Also don't see any exercises. So:
    * eat more
    * exercises (eat your exercises calories back, all)
    * eat more whole food instead of protein bar everyday, or rice cakes, etc
    * eat breakfast
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sineadgrowden
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • sineadgrowden
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Went and looked at your diary and noticed you don't ever seem to eat breakfast. A good healthy breakfast would go a long way in helping curb the hunger throughout the day. I like scrambled eggs with onion and garlic and then eaten with salsa. So good and filling and helps me not snack at all in the morning.

I've had many people ask why I usually don't eat anything for breakfast, and here's why. My stomach cannot tolerate solid food first thing in the morning. It's been that way since I was a child. I can try, but It usually comes right back up. :( I can eat solids around 10-11am, but by then, it's usually lunch food. Coffee is about the only thing I can keep down, so yes, I drink a lot of it!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    lentils will change your life, I swear! They are super hearty (lots of protein) and low calorie.

This recipe is amazing and I calculated it to be less than 200 calories/serving for 4 servings.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/mums-everyday-red-lentils-recipe/index.html
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've had many people ask why I usually don't eat anything for breakfast, and here's why. My stomach cannot tolerate solid food first thing in the morning. It's been that way since I was a child. I can try, but It usually comes right back up. :( I can eat solids around 10-11am, but by then, it's usually lunch food. Coffee is about the only thing I can keep down, so yes, I drink a lot of it!

I can't tolerate anything dairy n the morning. It gives me a terrible stomach ache. If I have cereal, I only have ¼ cup of skim milk or just enough to get the cereal wet. Don't know what it is about dairy and morning, but it does not agree with me
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    This is a sample of what I eat in a day. I eat different kinds of protein, veggies, fruits and breads. but basically this is it. Hope it helps.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Chol
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 1 tsp 16 4 0 0 0 0
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 fl oz 15 1 1 1 13 2
    Coffee - Black, 10 fl oz 0 0 0 0 0 0

Lunch
    Butterball - - Deli Turkey Breast Low Sodium, 1 oz. 25 1 1 6 180 10
    Kraft - Mayo With Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayonnaise, 7.5 grams (1 TBSP) 23 1 2 0 48 3
    Pepperidge Farm - Light Style 7 Grain Bread, 2 slice 90 18 0 4 150 0
    Alpine Lace - 2% Low Fat Swiss Cheese, 1 slice 50 1 5 7 95 15
    Tomato - Raw, Red, 0.25 tomato 3 1 0 0 2 0
    Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 1 leaf outer 5 1 0 0 2 0

Snack
    Generic - Necturine Medium, 1 medium 60 15 1 1 0 0

Dinner
    Jennie O - 1/4 lb Turkey Burger - Original With Flavoring, 2 burgers /112g 340 0 24 32 320 200
    Thomas - Bagle Thins 100% Whole Wheat, 1 bagle 110 24 1 6 190 0
    Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 1 leaf outer 5 1 0 0 2 0
    Kraft - Mayo With Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayonnaise, 7.5 grams (1 TBSP) 23 1 2 0 48 3
    Albertsons - Dijon Mustard, 1 tsp 5 0 0 0 120 0
    Heinz - Ketcup, 1 tb spoon 15 4 0 0 190 0
    Asparagus - Fresh Cooked, 6 spears 32 2 1 5 5 0

Snack
    Orville Redenbacher's - Popcorn, Smartpop, , 0.5 bg 130 24 2 4 160 0
    Alis's - Salad Mixed Greens and Spinach, 1 cups 10 1 0 1 40 0
    Generic - Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded), 0.25 ounce 28 0 2 2 63 8
    Kraft - House Italian, 1 Tbsp (15ml) 50 1 5 0 130 0

Snack
    Fresh - Watermelon Diced, 1 Cup 46 12 0 1 2 0
    Snack - Nutra Grain - Cereal Bar Apple Cinnamon, 1 bar 120 24 3 2 110 0

Totals 1,207 139 50 72 1,874 241
    Your Daily Goal 1,410 176 47 71 2,500 300
    Remaining 203 37 -3 -1 626 59
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Chol
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    my fave low cal food: stir fry onions and snow pea pods. Its almost sweet if you don't add salt. I use a teaspoon of butter and a little water, but you could use your preferred oil (margarine, olive oil, canola) or just steam it in the fry pan.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My daily snacks include: baby cucumber, hard boiled egg, container of strawberries & blueberries, and greek yogurt.

I bring a large lunch bag on Monday every week, and store in the company fridge. It contains a package of Fold-its or La Tortilla Low Carb Tortilla's, a package of organic turkey or ham, a package of organic swiss or cheddar, romaine lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and sliced onion. Also I have a small tupperware container of mayo and one of mustard. I make my own wrap for lunch every day - it runs about 250kc with 22g of protein.

Dinner is either chicken breast, lean gr beef, uncured ham, shrimp, or eggs along with a salad and veggie or two. Sometimes, I include a small baked potato, 2 oz of pasta, brown rice, or toast with peanut butter.

Evening snacks can be grapes, an apple, peanut butter spread onto celery stalks, pretzels, or frozen juice pops.

Until a couple of days ago, my calorie goal was 1200 and I was nearly always within 50 calories of it.
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i am going to try several of these as I am in the same boat...
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are a week into a "Clean Eating" two week menu plan which we got out of the July 2011 Clean Eating Magazine. We decided to do it for the same reason. To get new ideas about what healthy really is and find new foods we'd like. The foods a bit more expensive than we'd like, lots of produce, but we've gotten some great ideas out of it too. Also, I think you could take some of these ideas and pare them down to be more inexpensive. I'm a picky eater and MOST of this I like. Not all!

Breakfast:
    6 oz Greek yogurt mixed with any berries / bananas / other fruit
    cooked oatmeal mixed with fruit / honey / almonds / peanut or almond butter
    Nature's Path optimum slim cereal with any fruit
    Diced red peppers, onions and fresh spinach added to two egg whites and scrambled

Snacks:
    2 cups cubed watermelon with 1 oz feta cheese
    6 Carrot sticks and 3 tbsp hummus
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt mixed with green grapes and 10 almonds
    1 peach and 1/2 cup greek yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup granola
    1 apple with 2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 cup blackberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 string cheese
    2 tbsp peanut butter mixed with 1 oz melted dark chocolate and 1 banana

Lunch & Dinner:
    the suggestions they give are generally recipes so a little harder to post those, some of the ingredients are:
    Ground turkey
    1 cup cooked Bulgur
    1 broiled lean pork chop
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 cup Red Bliss Potato and Roasted Garlic Soup
    3 oz lean broiled sirloin
    Tilapia
    4 oz chicken breast
    lean ground beef

Often used veggies:
    Red bell pepper
    Spinach
    Sweet potato
    Zucchini
    Garbanzo beans
    Black beans
    Tomato
    Kalamata Olives
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Red onion
    Mushrooms

Another thing I have seen a lot is substituting greek yogurt for when you maybe would have thought to use sour cream.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful :) I recommend looking into the Clean Eating books by Tosca Reno for more ideas!

I LOVE these ideas! Especially the one about the melted dark chocolate & PB with a banana... Ummm... I'm all over that one!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What about chips and salsa? I love that as a snack! And with garden produce right now, I make my own salsa which is hardly any calories.

It's also very easy to make, and without buying it in the store you know exactly what you have in it, I make my own fresh corn salsa, very yummy, adn refreshing.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Have you thought about having a protein shake with unsweetened almond milk and fruit for breakfast? Breakfast is such an important part of your day...