What do u tell urself during a workout??

1235»

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think of my time in the ARMY with the drill sergeant next to me running in formation "YOU BETTER NOT FALL OUT OR YOU WILL BE MINE WHEN WE GET BACK" I know this day in age saying "you will be mine" now has a sexual innuendo but I can tell you sex would be the easy part. But if your just getting back into it take it slow and easy you are not where you were and do not let that discourage you.
  • brenda213
    brenda213 Posts: 7 Member
    I tell myself.. Stop being lazy!
  • mfpfreedomnow
    mfpfreedomnow Posts: 52 Member
    Like Shakespeare's Macduff, "I have no words. My voice is my [coffee]".
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Wow amazing stuff!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    During long swims - 'you are not tired, you are just bored, work through it!'

During runs, 'don't look at your watch - you know it feels like it has been hours, but in reality it has not even been 15 mins and it will just get you down....don't look at your watch.....oh you did! see, only 12 minutes, aren't you glad you looked.....watch out for uneven floor....ooh cool song.......don't look at watch, there is no way it has been 30 mins...........' usually after 20mins running I can switch off, get into a rhythm of sorts and focus on music. :)
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member

During a C25K today- " OMG that's it? " Or " the 3 minute interval I was dreading felt like 30 seconds, the app is defected".
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Sometimes I make up stories in my head when I'm rowing. I know, weird right? Sometimes I imagine I'm rowing for my life after the ship I was on went down, (think Titanic), and if I don't row fast enough the pull of the waters when the ship finally sinks will pull me down. Other times I imagine I'm a slave that's being forced to row faster or I'll be whipped. Other times I just tell myself "10 more minutes", or I'll try to beat a previous time record, or "just do it!" The best part is seeing progress. Good luck.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    When I'm running, "You got this babygirl! Make this treadmill your *kitten*!"
    When I'm lifting I listen to a lot of bassnectar and for some reason their music makes me feel badass, so I'm motivated to lift more so I can officially look like a badass.
    For circuit training: "Just keep going, you can rest for 30 seconds after this I promise."
    I hike as well but I don't really need motivation for that because I love it so much. If I could I'd hike all day everyday, being surrounded by fresh air and nature just puts me at peace. And when you're stressed like I am sometimes that peace is all that keeps you together.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I don't really need to give myself pep talks. I walk for my exercise and knowing that means I get to eat more is incentive enough.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    If I start getting tired, I just say "You only got 20 mins left you got this" Other than that I don't really need to psyche myself up during it I am too busy concentrating on what I am doing. But some days I just don't have it in me, some days I get my workout clothes on and half way through warm up I say Meh. But most days I do it and don't worry about it, I work out at home, I think I wouldn't say Meh if I were going to a gym.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Since I am usually in my complex gym alone, I sing to the most annoying hard rock or nu-metal you can possible fine (think Korn, Machine head, System of a down). Completely off key.

Then I think: Gosh, this song is awesome. Why am I so into angry hard rock lately. I grew up in the 80's.

Then I think: Gosh, I hope that guy that just walked in through the back door behind me didn't hear me belt out the chorus to that last Drowning Pool song.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Me during my workout this morning: "Huh, do I really not have an internal monologue like I posted yesterday? Maybe I should be encouraging myself to push harder sometimes. I'm pretty happy with my progress though, so why mess with something that's working? ... Wait, is this an internal monologue? Doh!"
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Me during my workout this morning: "Huh, do I really not have an internal monologue like I posted yesterday? Maybe I should be encouraging myself to push harder sometimes. I'm pretty happy with my progress though, so why mess with something that's working? ... Wait, is this an internal monologue? Doh!"

It's like when someone tells you not to think of an elephant . . . you can't help but do it. Once you begin thinking of your lack of an internal monologue, you've got one!