How did YOU determine your goal weight?

Options
I was just wondering how everyone determined their goal weight (doctor, previous weight, etc).

How do you know your goal weight is realistic?

Personally, my goal is based off of a previous weight when I competed in triathlons.

What about YOU?

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be the same size I was before I had kids, only a healthier version. :smile:
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I wanted to get back to my high school size...plus i've compared myself to girlfriends weights etc.
  • vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get to my high school weight as well. I'm getting close, and with weight training, I feel I will be even healthier and more cut than I was in high school.
  • kochany
    kochany Posts: 32
    Options
    Im 6+" and i want to weigh 200, thats what i think would look good muscle wise but probably end up at 195 cut or less.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    In my mid-20s. Was too light in high school.
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    my current goal weight is just there as a start.. i have small goals, but, i just need to get healthy.. and to lose almost 100 pounds is a good start... from there i'll see how i look as far as bone structure, and how i feel where i am then, to see what follow up will be if i go smaller, or begin to maintain...

5foot3 with the shoulders of a small linebacker... i think at what i'm 'supposed to be' at for my height, i'd look like a bag of bones..
    we'll see :)
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    In early highschool I weighed about 130, but now I'm going for 140. I realize now that I didn't work out a whole lot when I was 130 and I can basically look the same at 140 if I pack on the muscle and get toned! These days I work really hard to look the way I do and I'm going for a "toned" look rather than a rail thin look :)
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I calculated my weight from my goal body fat percentage.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I calculated my weight from my goal body fat percentage.
    Same here. There's a calculator here if you don't want to do the math. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Goal weight based on body fat percentage. IMO that's the most realistic and accurate way to do it.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    Went with the number a personal trainer gave me when first assessing me but really, i'm not giving myself a number i'm going to keep going until I feel happy and healthy with where i'm at. Could be 5 pounds from now, could be 20. My body will let me know :smile:
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I chose a goal weight that was about half-way into the healthy BMI range for my height and frame size, and which is also around what I weighed in my late 20's (before kids). I'm only 15 or so lbs. away, so maybe by Christmas??
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    you check your BMR under the tools menu
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    A good weight for me when I was in high school was 130-135. And my grandma who is the same build as me always kept her weight in the same place. She is 96 and still keeps her weight in check. A few years ago i went thru a divorce and got down to 136 with out even trying from the stress so for me my goal now is 135-140 I think I will be comfortable there.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    oops wrong one. you check you BMI under the tools menu will give you a target goal but I'd personally stay above that range.
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    I picked a weight mid range of what was condsidered healthy for my height and when I got there, I decided I could lose another 15 lbs based on how I looked. I wanted to acheive goals that were realistic and attainable and not be overzealous. Now I am more concerned with fitness rather than weight.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80lbs before and noticed when i get under 130lb i lose my boobs and butt, and my skin starts to sag. So i decided 135lb is a nice place for me this time around.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I picked the number out of the air. When I was over 200lbs - I thought 150lbs would be the perfect weight for me. I wasn't really sure how I would look at 150lbs, but I figured it sounded good. So, I picked it.

Hit 150lbs and wasn't totally happy - am now maintaining 143-145lbs and am happy, content and comfortable.

I was VERY thin in high school and would NEVER want to be that weight again (I only weighed about 100lbs at 5'4" -- definitely NOT a healthy weight for a 35 yr old!).
  • aoifebr
    aoifebr Posts: 92
    Options
    I've never been "small" so I had no idea of what I could be and I was getting pretty frustrated when I would look at my "ideal weight" using BMI which is c. 30kg lighter than I currently am!!!

In the end I went for a DEXA body scan (like an MRI which showed by bone, muscle mass, fat etc & gives you a breakdown of how what you in each area of her body). It showed I have 17kg more muscle than the average woman so uses that to gauge my "target" weight which feels a lot more realistic.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I looked at what weight range I should be in to be in the "normal" BMI range.

Then I took my weight when I was at my fittest (as an adult).

Then I compared the two numbers and found what seemed like a good compromise between the two namely a weight about 5 kilos above my "fittest" weight which is still within the "healthy" BMI - I'm not kidding myself into thinking I will ever be as fit as I was back when I was 21.