What books can I recommend to someone with an eating disorder?

Options
I know a few people with one, and am interested in reading a few books myself. Not for someone that throws up, but someone that struggles with body image, emotional eating, binge eating and self esteem.

I know they are planning to see a GP and go to some group sessions, but are there any helpful books as well?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Brave Girl Eating
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I know a few people with one, and am interested in reading a few books myself. Not for someone that throws up, but someone that struggles with body image, emotional eating, binge eating and self esteem.

I know they are planning to see a GP and go to some group sessions, but are there any helpful books as well?

Little Girls In Pretty Boxes
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Feeding the Hungry Heart
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would recommend
    Ellyn Satter: Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook
    Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch: Intuitive Eating
    Yoni Freedhoff: The Diet Fix
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Are these like "how to fix an eating disorder" books?

Sorry, I don't understand why this post got 3 woo's? It was a genuine question, like are the books people have recommended recovery books, or more like stories? I don't want anything that could trigger someone, or give them ideas to feed their ed.

I thought "woo" was a good thing since it replaced "awesome". Like woo! Yes! Awesome! Yay! That type of woo.
    But i have binge eating disorder so i was just following your post. I am obese and have to lose weight for my health but with my eating disorder its making it very hard to do it in a healthy way..
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Another one that is good: The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health.