no added sugar challenge?

Options
Ushee25
Ushee25 Posts: 7 Member
Although I'm trying to gain weight, (lost some due to diabetes type 2, then i tend to be a compulsive eater with - eat sugar, restrict/guilt, eat more and binge, restrict, and so on!!)

I do want to cut out the added sugar - I know for me, i truly feel so addicted and one taste sends me wanting and craving all rest of the day. what I'd like to know is, an example of a meal plan or how someone eats during the day that looks like - devoid of sugar?

Thank you all!
And if any of you have been able to sustain no added sugar for a good period of time? Is it possible to do away for life? I so hope so.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of added sugar.
    I cook a lot from scratch, I don't use a lot of packaged foods/sauces.

My diet is definitely not devoid of sugar though, I eat a decent amount of dairy, and loads of vegies and fruit, most of which have sugar.

Do you manage to eat fruit and not get the desire to eat more sugar all day?
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to not eat added sugar, including artificial sugar. It's difficult because they seem to add sugar to EVERYTHING these days but if you cook a lot and read labels well it's totally doable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I only eat added sugar on Sundays during Lent (not always then, but I did this past Sunday). Other than planned desserts and a few condiments (like sriracha), which I really doubt would cause sugar cravings, I tend not to eat much added sugar even normally -- because I cook from scratch and my main meals are savory (which just seems normal). Of course, I do get sugar in fruits, veg, sweet potatoes, so on.

I guess I don't understand what you would eat in a standard meal that would involve sugar unless you had a sweet breakfast and otherwise ate packaged foods that had sugar added (not everything does, I get things like dried pasta, canned beans, so on).

Anyway, I've done no added sugar for a month or so a few times and found it not that tough. I didn't sustain it since I didn't particularly want to or intend to, I like being able to have an occasional planned dessert and not worry if I want to use a BBQ rub with some sugar, but since I can fall into bad habits (esp emotional eating) with sugar (not just sugar, but sweets can be part of it), I find it useful to occasionally cut it out for a bit. I do this with coffee too (which I like black, but if I think I'm drinking too much I take a break sometimes).