Exercise Suggestions

Options
Hello! I’m just curious if anyone can give me some suggestions on my workout. Currently, I’m doing about 2 sets of 30 arm curls (8lbs, I don’t have much upper body strength so I’m starting out low) and 2 sets of 30 sit-ups, followed by a plank. I’ve also been trying to run in the morning, but it’s difficult with my schedule. My end goal is by no means to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger but to look more lean, and perhaps add a little muscle definition. My diet fluctuates, but I try to avoid carbs and find more fiber and protein. I’m open to diet suggestions too!

Thank you!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't try to avoid carbs. Aim to eat a varied and balanced diet.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on what your stats and goals are?

If you're working out I strong recommend following an established program with built-in progression. Many beginner programs are scaled to start with low weight, learn good form, and foster improvement over time. If getting into traditional lifting isn't your thing you can also build muscle and get stronger performing bodyweight exercises. For what it's worth, I've never come across anyone who said they regret starting to lift weights, only those who say "I wish I'd started lifting seriously sooner" (myself included).

r/fitness and this post in the exercise section are both good repositories of recommended/established routines:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

As @kommodevaran said, carbs don't need to be avoided; eat a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats and stick to your calories. There was actually a recent study that concluded there was no advantage between a low-carb or low-fat diet.

Link to study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2673150?redirect=true
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If you have a 9Round near where you live, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. It's a kickboxing fitness gym. The first workout is always free & even if you don't join, it'll give you an idea of a variety of exercises, from jump rope to shadow boxing to burpees & so many more. I was only going to join for a month, but it's so addictive, I joined for an entire year.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't know your age and goals but this is what works for me. Run six days a week before the sun comes up. A Nautilus set 3 to 4 times a week, it's on my running route so it only take 1/2 hour. Planks daily for 15 minutes, 30 seconds on 30 seconds off.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m just curious if anyone can give me some suggestions on my workout. Currently, I’m doing about 2 sets of 30 arm curls (8lbs, I don’t have much upper body strength so I’m starting out low) and 2 sets of 30 sit-ups, followed by a plank. I’ve also been trying to run in the morning, but it’s difficult with my schedule. My end goal is by no means to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger but to look more lean, and perhaps add a little muscle definition. My diet fluctuates, but I try to avoid carbs and find more fiber and protein. I’m open to diet suggestions too!

Thank you!

Why not use heavier weight with less reps? Like 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I would definitely increase weight if I could do 30 reps in a set.

Maybe download an app like Sworkit or PumpUp. I believe Sworkit is body weight. PumpUp has a workout generator. You tell it time you have, what equipment you have, and what you want to work.
  • WillCatterick
    WillCatterick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For those asking, I’m 18, and I weigh 130lbs. I’m 5’4” if that’s important. Are there any stats I’m missing?
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You could try body weight work outs. That way you don't need to buy more weights. You can google body weight work outs but try and involve things like squats, lunges, press ups, planks, burpees. You can use things at home like the stairs in your house or your sofa to do some exercises. You can get a great work out without having to spend any money or having to even step outside your door. I sometimes set my timer for 20 minutes and see how many times I can run up and down my steps in the house. Only 20 minutes but I am dripping in sweat by the end of it!

Unless you have a medical reason for avoiding carbs you don't really have to. Set a good protein target and let the other macros just fall in to your calorie goal. Eating low GI carbs like wholegrain and sweet potato can help you feel fuller for longer but in terms of calories they are pretty much on a par with all carbs. It's a personal choice but for me, working the foods I love in to my calories and having regular chocolate or cake keeps me on track for longer and I still lose weight. Good luck :)