some advice please?

Options
Hi

I was hoping someone could offer me some words of wisdom please?

I have just started exercising at home, from a point of being extremely unfit for many years (I am 52 yrs old, need to lose about 80 pounds, asthmatic and slightly arthritic :s ).

I am alternating between stretching and using a rowing machine (set to level 2 resistance, rowing at a 3.5 min for 500m rate, for about 25 mins) and completing the c25k program.

I am enjoying the exercise (for the first time ever) but about 2 hours after, I start to feel really nauseous and have a bitter metallic taste in my mouth.

I eat after my workout, having had lunch about 4 hours before, but I am careful to ensure that I have drunk lots of water through the afternoon.

Could anyone give me any ideas as to whats causing the nausea please? I am not doing a 'bootcamp' style workout so wondering if it really is a case of me just being really unfit

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in anticipation

Replies

• Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    1) Have you checked with a Doctor to see if you are fit enough to exercise?
    2) Are you drinking plenty of water, before during and after exercise?

If it's your first time exercising in forever then just start off with 15-20 minutes until you are fitter and make sure you are drinking enough and eating something afterwards.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had some of that when I wasn’t eating enough. (Nausea and headache, but not the metallic taste thing). I found eating something soothing and filling helped. My favorite was two scrambled eggs with a little cheddar on top. Or a piece of wheat bread with mashed avocado. Or some 2% cottage cheese with salsa. Are you eating back the calories you’ve burned? You have to do that, at least 50% of them, or you are not giving your body enough fuel.

I’m surprised you’re doing as much exercise as you say you are. You may have taken up a little too much for now. Scale back for a week, maybe eliminate rowing. See how you feel. If you can tolerate that without nausea, add in rowing again, slowly.

Are you taking a couple puffs of your inhaler before exercising?

I was 57 and sedentary when I started MFP last Spring. I was over enthusiastic and began exercising six days a week. Way too much too soon! My advice is: slow down, eat something soothing, and if next week you’re still feeling badly go to the doctor!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your mucous membranes may be getting a little irritated from the exercise, which can lead to small amounts of blood that cause a metallic taste. Especially because you're asthmatic, I'd mention it to your doctor.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Since you have quite a bit of weight to lose, you should focus on your diet first. For excersice just do like 30 min walking if you feel like it. Increase intensity and add strength training after you lost some weight, it'll be a lot easier on your body when you excersice without carrying all the extra weight.
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question - I think maybe I have gone too much too soon, as I was totally exhausted - will take on board about diet and slowing down :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    With the metallic taste, my first thought was electrolytes.

If you are working out enough to build a good sweat, have upped your water intake significantly, have changed your diet and are ingesting less salt, you may benefit from a drink with electrolytes, I use Emergen-C, but Nunns (sp?) tablets, and any of the common sports drinks will do. As will something with a reasonable salt content.

Cheers, h.
  • Projectjustme
    Options
    Thanks H, will try that too - I do sweat (it's so attractive :-)) and have cut out a lot of salt, so definitely a consideration, thanks
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nausea with me is always dehydration .. it’s never been anything else.

Make sure you are well hydrated before ... sip during and top up after ... but I am nit finished yet ... your muscles will be depleted at the end of a workout, they want to repair, they want to refuel, they will do this by drawing water into them .. so you will need to drink more thought the day as well
  • Projectjustme
    Options
    Just wanted to get back to those who took the time to answer my question - I am now on week 4 of the c25k and am making sure that I am looking after my hydration and using an electrolyte tablet in my water just before and during my run.

Thanks again for this, it has come as a massive surprise to me that I am enjoying the process of starting to run (although I think there are landmasses that move quicker than me) and this is the first time I have stuck to anything for this long. Your advice was much appreciated
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you, and thank you for updating us on your progress.

Cheers, h.
  • kirstinheard
    kirstinheard Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good to see all of the positivity. Great job for sticking to it!

So I am not new to mfp I've just returned to get on the grind. I am at 203 now and want to lose about 50 lbs. I have been going to the gym a little and started a green smoothie regimen that seems to be satisfying with protein in it. I just can't get motivated to work out. In the morning I can't get up smh and after work, I'm so tired, I just want to go home to bed... Any advice to help with the workout blues?