Is this allowed?

Options
So if at the end of the day my calories are gone and I want a snack, can I work out and make more calories? When I have a meal planned that is higher in calories I tend to work out or walk to earn more calories to cover it. Just unsure if this is OK to do or better to just stick with the daily limit. Thanks :)

Also looking for friends, feel free to add me

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes the more you move/excersise the more you get to eat :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yep that will work.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you are eating back ALL of your exercise calories, make sure you are logging super accurate as overestimating calories burned will have you eating too much.

I do not eat back all of my exercise calories to account for any logging errors so I'll still be eating at a deficit.
    My diet still consists of pizza, fast food, and beer because yum :)
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have gotten some good advice already but I will add.... I could be wrong, but I believe that MFP sets your calorie goal based on your weight loss/gain goal so it is likely that MFP has automatically set your calorie goal to be at a deficit if you have a weight loss goal. This means that even if you "break even" at the end of the day you will still lose weight over time. This of course assumes, as mentioned above, that you are very accurate with your logging of food and exercise which can in reality be quite challenging unless you want to spend a lot of time and money on activity trackers, food scales, calorimeters etc. and make tracking your full-time job. I'm getting a little ridiculous but you get the point. It never hurts to have a few hundred calorie deficit at the end of the day, nor does it hurt to get a little extra exercise to maintain a deficit.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If this happens often, perhaps you should program the activity into your life so you're not worried about it so much.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    If this happens often, perhaps you should program the activity into your life so you're not worried about it so much.

I'm more on the cautious side of this as well. As someone who is very active, but has had a few odd, completely unexpected injuries in my life, I know that at any time my mobility or activity level may be drastically reduced due to unforeseen circumstances so I don't rely on extra exercise just so that I eat a bit more. Everyone is different, though. Just a word of caution.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I'm more on the cautious side of this as well. As someone who is very active, but has had a few odd, completely unexpected injuries in my life, I know that at any time my mobility or activity level may be drastically reduced due to unforeseen circumstances so I don't rely on extra exercise just so that I eat a bit more. Everyone is different, though. Just a word of caution.

True. IF I had to reduce my activity, I'd have to adjust my intake accordingly. Most likely by dropping a protein from dinner(Since that's 1/2-2/3 of my daily consumption)
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you are eating back ALL of your exercise calories, make sure you are logging super accurate as overestimating calories burned will have you eating too much.

I do not eat back all of my exercise calories to account for any logging errors so I'll still be eating at a deficit.

So i can have a pizza for lunch today and still be ok if it is within my macros? I was going to enjoy some pizza but was feeling guilty already. Please say yes; lol.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Suly09 wrote: »

So i can have a pizza for lunch today and still be ok if it is within my macrosCalories? I was going to enjoy some pizza but was feeling guilty already. Please say yes; lol.

FIFY, and yes.

I have pizza and it doesn't set me back more than the 48 hours for my body to process the above usual carb load.