Best running shoes

Options
I’m beginning the C25K Monday and need some really good running shoes. Anyone with ideas that are under $80?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Once you get fitted and find a shoe that works for you, you can shop online for deals. I paid full price for my first 2 pairs of Mizuno (fitted at a running store), then tried one half price online and found my new favorite. I can now search online for that style since I know it works. I would not recommend this for your first pair. Take your old running shoes with you so they can see the wear pattern.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Memerex5 wrote: »
    I’m beginning the C25K Monday and need some really good running shoes. Anyone with ideas that are under $80?

Best shoes are the ones that are right for you, not some random recommendation.

Fwiw my favourite site would only be appropriate of you're running muddy trails.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters. Go to a local running score and let them know your $80 budget. They’ll give you a few options after analyzing your needs.
    When I first started C25K I started out with a pair of Asics cuz that’s what my running friend wore. After a while I decided to get properly fit, got matched up with Brooks Ghosts and have never looked back.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The perfect running shoe is going to be different for everyone. For me, asics are the best. Kayanos are great but not under $80. I also have some asics gel contend 4 that I paid around $50 for. They are supposed to be for low mileage running. I don't usually run in them though, so I can't say how comfortable they are for running (pretty much just bought them bc of the great price), but they are super comfortable for walking around all day at work.
    I agree with the advice to get fitted, but I do feel you should buy from the store that spends the time to fit you if you go that route.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    The perfect running shoe is going to be different for everyone. For me, asics are the best. Kayanos are great but not under $80. I also have some asics gel contend 4 that I paid around $50 for. They are supposed to be for low mileage running. I don't usually run in them though, so I can't say how comfortable they are for running (pretty much just bought them bc of the great price), but they are super comfortable for walking around all day at work.
    I agree with the advice to get fitted, but I do feel you should buy from the store that spends the time to fit you if you go that route.

I love good Asics shoes too. Depending on preference Cayano, Nimbus and Cumulus are all very good, but they are also crazy expensive. So are Adidas Ultraboosts.
    I haven't found any Nike shoes I like, but many people love them. Here, in our little corner of Europe we often get very good discounts for Mizunos, so I have found few pairs well within that price range that I like, such as Wave Inspire or Catalyst.
    We don't get some popular brands like Brooks or Saucony here so no experience with those.
    Pro-tip: look for last year's models, those are usually almost as good or sometimes even better than newest ones, but usually discounted by a lot.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting a proper fitting at a good running store. My preference is Saucony but that is what worked and felt best for me and confirmed when I went for a fitting just to check a few months back. Depending on your size, you can often get previous years' clearouts (in store or online) for a substantial saving.
  • Memerex5
    Memerex5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It seems as though my question is was misunderstood. I was simply looking for brands of shoes so I can figure out where in my area to get them. I always knew I would have to get fitted. Until I begin the serious running phase I will stick with my walking shoes. I have been sedentary due to health reasons for nearly 3 years. Here goes nothing C25K! Thanks everyone for their input.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    The ones that fit you well are the best. Go to your local running store and get fitted which will include a gait analysis.

This. And let them know your distance (you'll probably need more support for a longer distance). I have short run and long run shoes.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    It seems as though my question is was misunderstood. I was simply looking for brands of shoes so I can figure out where in my area to get them. I always knew I would have to get fitted. Until I begin the serious running phase I will stick with my walking shoes. I have been sedentary due to health reasons for nearly 3 years. Here goes nothing C25K! Thanks everyone for their input.

Different brands often have different styles. For example, I like brooks brothers Glycerin because I have a high arch and they're super supportive. I don't need anything to correct for pronation. Someone with a flatter food with need of correction might be better suited to a Saucony or Mizuno.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Agreed with what has been said. I love my Ultra Lone Peak 3.0s, not so much on the rest of their lines, and have like 5 pairs in my closet.

Ultras have a wide toe box which is nice if you need it, they let your toes really spread out. Shop around, try shoes on, be a complete pain in the *kitten* for you first few pairs, and find the one the fits your foot like a glove (this may take a few tries and fails). It is worth it in the end.

The lone peaks were my third attempt and they don't rub or blister even after 25 miles straight. I paid full price for the first pair and shopped discounts after that. The last round was $76 a pair. Be prepared to pay $125 ish for a good pair at first though. They will be worth it in the end but you need to find your shoe.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The same answer still applies though. When you're fit for shoes they shoulf offer a few brands that do the type of fit you need.

Personally I am a new balance girl. I have brookes and asics sat useless in my gym because they're just not comfortable...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics and did like like comparable Saucony for running. Even though both showed the same type of support, the Asics GT-1000 have gone ~500km and I'm just starting to see some pain. The Saucony's have the same pain but are near new.

But I expect it to be different for everyone.

I'm just waiting for the snow to go away before moving to my new pair of Asics, but it's taking too long so I may have to bite the bullet and start wearing the new ones sooner than I wanted.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

@Memerex5 Nobody is misunderstanding...People aren't talking about "fitted" as in the right size. Different running shoes do different things...if you pronate and you get a neutral shoe, it's going to hurt...if you're neutral or supinate and you get a shoe that correct pronation, it's gonna hurt. This is why people are recommending going to a running store, not just picking a brand from a big box.

A running store will put you on a treadmill and analyze your gate to determine if you pronate, are neutral, or supinate...after that determination is made, they will identify the correct shoe for your gait and bring you out several pairs/different brands to see which feels the best.

I was always a Brooks guy when I ran...my wife is all into Hoka...but again, those brands are going to have several types of shoes for different gaits...arches, foot width, etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

Different brands often have different styles. For example, I like brooks brothers Glycerin because I have a high arch and they're super supportive. I don't need anything to correct for pronation. Someone with a flatter food with need of correction might be better suited to a Saucony or Mizuno.

Fwiw most big brands make a range of shoes at different price points. It's not the brand that's important, but the appropriateness of that shoe fit the individual.

Saucony make motion control, neutral and cushioned shoes
    Mizuno make motion control, neutral and cushioned shoes
    Brooks make motion control, neutral and cushioned shoes
    ASICS make motion control, neutral and cushioned shoes
    On make motion control, neutral and cushioned shoes

Hola One One, Altra, Inov-8 make a narrower range of shoes but they're marketing to a different segment.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Champion Women's performance Cross Trainer, they're as low as $25, I run in them and they're very comfy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Get to Fleet feet or your local equivalent before you start C25K.

Getting fitted for running shoes isn't like getting fitted for dress shoes. or Casual shoes. Let them know your budget limitations up front and they'll help work with you.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Everyone has given solid advice in that you need to find what's right for you - everybody's feet are different and will need different things. Some people need arch support, some people need ankle support, some people need support for over/under pronating . . . get a gait analysis done.

Second, I have bolded your price point. I get budgeting - I REALLY do, as a single person with a mortgage lol - but here's the thing: quality running shoes, like anything else in life for the most part, will be more money. And you'll want to spend that money for a couple reasons. First, cheap running shoes will not give you the unique support you need for your feet - they aren't designed that way. Further, if you're starting off overweight (which I did when I ran my first 5K @ 340lbs . . . well I lost some by then, so let's say 310lbs) you'll want good support. I don't say this to be mean - honestly, I was 360lbs at one point in my life - but people who have been overweight for a long time have put a lot of stress on their joints. When you run, you're putting approximately 3 x your body weight in pressure on your knees each time you step . . . that's a lot of extra weight. I get that money can be tight, but trust me when I say you want to protect those knees and those ankles. I have gone 4 years with running, 5 with weight loss, and I have had one injury which was a tear in my hamstring and zero knee or ankle pain. If you can spend the money, and you want to get into running, find the pair that's right for you and your body.

I have run in New Balance 1080s for years - like they're up to version 8, and I started on V2. That being said, they're very pricey - $190 CAD for a pair but well worth it.

If you can, I'd say hold out and do a little research, get a gait analysis done and find what works for you. If you really want to get into running, it's well worth it.

Good Luck :)