Women Time Of The Month Gain

Options
Two days ago in the morning I was 308, I started my period that night. Well today I just weighed myself at 2 pm and I'm 315.4. My logging is 100% correct. No extra salt. My calories are around 1000 depending on the day. Is it possible to gain 7.4 pounds in two days because of my period???

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body responds differently to menstruation, so I think it could be water weight bloating indeed. Track your weight after your period and see if any of it sticks around. If it disappears, it was all water weight. See if the same thing happens next month. The more data you have, the more you'll understand about how your body works. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, this would be possible for me.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think that it's quite possible. For me, I usually "gain" around 4 pounds the day before it starts and hold onto the pounds until about 3 days into it. Then my weigh will go down to what it was before.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Totally possible, I fluctuate between 3 and 10 pounds depending on which ovary is firing. Horrormones suck sometimes.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Not only is it possible, it happens every month for me. Between 5-8lbs the couple days before my period starts and it doesnt come off until almost a full week later. Then, I have another spike of 2-3lbs around ovulation. Today is day 16 and I am 4lbs less than I was yesterday. It's crazy.

But that's why I like to weigh every day even though I'm not actively losing. I can see those trends, rationalize it and take it into account when I get back on the losing train!

Edit: I just noticed that you mentioned the low weight in the AM and the higher weight in the afternoon. The best way to monitor your weight over the long term is having a set weigh-in time (daily/weekly/monthly/etc.) under near-identical circumstances. Like in the AM, light or no clothes, right after bathroom but before any shower/food/drink. The higher weigh-in is relatively useless since you've probably consumed food/drink up to that point in the afternoon.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why are you comparing a weigh-in first thing in the morning vs. one at 2pm??? even without period issues, you are going to weigh different under different conditions later in the day (food, water, waste, etc.)
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    N
    But that's why I like to weigh every day even though I'm not actively losing. I can see those trends, rationalize it and take it into account when I get back on the losing train!

This.

I used to freak out until I committed to weighing every day. Everything makes soooooooo much more sense now!
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    witcherkar wrote: »
    My calories are around 1000 depending on the day.
    The minimum healthy calorie intake for women is 1200, unless you are being medically supervised.

• witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    Not only is it possible, it happens every month for me. Between 5-8lbs the couple days before my period starts and it doesnt come off until almost a full week later. Then, I have another spike of 2-3lbs around ovulation. Today is day 16 and I am 4lbs less than I was yesterday. It's crazy.

Edit: I just noticed that you mentioned the low weight in the AM and the higher weight in the afternoon. The best way to monitor your weight over the long term is having a set weigh-in time (daily/weekly/monthly/etc.) under near-identical circumstances. Like in the AM, light or no clothes, right after bathroom but before any shower/food/drink. The higher weigh-in is relatively useless since you've probably consumed food/drink up to that point in the afternoon.

I weighed this afternoon because i have to use a wheelchair scale at the nursing home down the road and it was raining this morning. I havent eat yet today. Im nauseas. And the only thing ive to drink was 2 cups of coffee. And i already peed and had a bm. So i figured it would be pretty accurate.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    r3488 wrote: »
    My calories are around 1000 depending on the day.
    The minimum healthy calorie intake for women is 1200, unless you are being medically supervised.

My psychiatrist monitors my weight every month and im on a weight loss medication recently that primary doctor is okay with me being on 1000 calorie diet temporarily. I see her in two weeks. Thank you for youre concern.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Two days ago in the morning I was 308, I started my period that night. Well today I just weighed myself at 2 pm and I'm 315.4. My logging is 100% correct. No extra salt. My calories are around 1000 depending on the day. Is it possible to gain 7.4 pounds in two days because of my period???

It's 2 percent of your starting weight. That doesn't sound unreasonable for a fluctuation.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's possible. I started this week out with my period and up 3 pounds, it's slowly come off over the week and I'm back to normal today and I suspect it's the last day for my period.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My psychiatrist monitors my weight every month and im on a weight loss medication recently that primary doctor is okay with me being on 1000 calorie diet temporarily. I see her in two weeks. Thank you for youre concern.
    Glad to hear!

• thelegendofsakura89
    Options
    Just happened to me this week.
    Between ToM, a sodium filled dinner, and a few intense lifting days I went from 195 to 201 seemingly overnight.

Don't sweat it, personally I try to stay off the scale entirely that week.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate often even without the TOM issues, depending on your diet/salt intake/levels of stress/exercise levels... Lots of things can cause you to hold onto extra water weight. Don't stress it - it's all good, and as long as you're doing the 'right' things, the weight WILL come off. During my weight loss phase, I would stay steady (same weight) for the whole month... Then I'd get my period and my weight would INCREASE by a couple of pounds... and after my period, I'd lose the extra weight, plus a few extra pounds. Every.Month. Every single month, my weight stayed the same, then INCREASED... and then, I'd get a sudden 'whoosh' and actually lose weight. But It would have been incredibly easy to let myself get discouraged and stop when things didn't seem to go the direction I wanted.

Just stick with it and the weight will come off. You've got this. :flowerforyou:
  • peachblossom79
    peachblossom79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness can I relate to this. i blow up like a balloon. i drink a lot of tea, water, and keep a heating pad on my stomach and that seems to help.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I can gain several pounds first morning weight to afternoon on the same day, even without TOM.. once you eat/drink anything the variability starts. If it concerns you, please don’t weigh at different times. I am a Daily weigher but do it first thing in the AM after using the bathroom, nude, before showering. I also log into Happy Scale (trending app) and I go by trends, not daily fluctuations. You might want to consider something like this that smoothes things out.