Barbell row feel backache

Options
Hello everyone, I just wondering is it normal that when I am doing barbell bent-over row I always feel my backache and really sore

Replies

• deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time you are doing them? Does your back hurt during the workout, or afterwards?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Um...Yeah, depends. I think there's a difference between "ouch, my back hurts" and "my muscles are sore from barbell rowing". None of us can really tell unless you describe the feeling in detail or post a video of your form.

It should not hurt while you are doing them.
  • z3dreamer
    z3dreamer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I don't keep back straight while doing this, I tend to hurt my back. Maybe you should consider doing one dumbbell at a time while perfecting form. I do one dumbbell at a time instead of barbell.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Some muscle fatigue/soreness is not surprising... back pain or injury is certainly a bad sign.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I notice lower back aching when I do rows sometimes, I usually equate this to not tightening more core to support my lower back while I'm lifting. I need to strengthen my core more!
  • vivianchiu3006
    vivianchiu3006 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time you are doing them? Does your back hurt during the workout, or afterwards?
    Yes, it was first time I do this , after that I didn’t feel anything bad, but wile I was doing, it was really sore
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Um...Yeah, depends. I think there's a difference between "ouch, my back hurts" and "my muscles are sore from barbell rowing". None of us can really tell unless you describe the feeling in detail or post a video of your form.

It should not hurt while you are doing them.

Yeah, It’s hardly to explain what exactly what is my feeling,but I will try to watch other videos to figure out am I doing wrong or no , thanks lo
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    z3dreamer wrote: »
    If I don't keep back straight while doing this, I tend to hurt my back. Maybe you should consider doing one dumbbell at a time while perfecting form. I do one dumbbell at a time instead of barbell.

Great suggestion, I will try dumbbell instead of the barbell, I still so new in workout, I shouldn’t be too rush to do the barbell section, thanks lo
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Some muscle fatigue/soreness is not surprising... back pain or injury is certainly a bad sign.

Yeah ,I was worried that I got hurt on my back , but after workout my back is alright, not feel any pain
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I notice lower back aching when I do rows sometimes, I usually equate this to not tightening more core to support my lower back while I'm lifting. I need to strengthen my core more!

Yeah, I guess I tightening too much that’s why , I just a bit confused that I should straighten my back or relax it
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Alan Thrall has excellent videos on many lifts. He really goes into a lot of detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

Yeah, I guess I tightening too much that’s why , I just a bit confused that I should straighten my back or relax it

I would say switch to single-arm dumbbell or cable rows.

It’s not that a barbell row is a bad exercise, but I see very few people in the gym doing it correctly. To me, it’s not worth the bother—there is nothing special about a barbell row.