Music to walk to

Options
iowalinda
iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a cheap little devise that plays music on headphones. I would like to get any music for it that would have a beat that I could walk to, as I've figured out the music helps me keep my pace up and also makes the time go faster. I am currently walking about a mile in 16 minutes, so how many beats per minute should I look for. Also, is there a free website I can download music from? Doesn't have to be any special music, just with a fast enough beat. Can anyone help me? I hope I am explaining this correctly, as I am terrible with technology.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I feel 110-120 beats per minute would be okay for a brisk walk, less for a slower walk? It would vary by your desired walking speed and stride length. Take a few songs of various beats and see which pace hits the spot.
  • iowalinda
    Options
  • amiewalanstephen
    Options
    The best strolling music for your exercise will depend unequivocally on your own tastes. There is one thing to search for, be that as it may: a predictable number of beats every moment, or bpm, to help keep up an even, energetic pace. The Fitness Walking Guide suggests 115-118 beats for each moment for amateurs, 118-126 beats for every moment for a middle of the road or energetic walkers, 130-137 beats for every moment for quick walkers, and 137+ beats for every moment for control walkers.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    The best strolling music for your exercise will depend unequivocally on your own tastes. There is one thing to search for, be that as it may: a predictable number of beats every moment, or bpm, to help keep up an even, energetic pace. The Fitness Walking Guide suggests 115-118 beats for each moment for amateurs, 118-126 beats for every moment for a middle of the road or energetic walkers, 130-137 beats for every moment for quick walkers, and 137+ beats for every moment for control walkers.

It looks like I fall into the 130 bpm category. Now to find a free download of any old music. I'm not choosy at all :) Any ideas where I might be able to find that?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Amazon has workout music set to a specific BPM.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Based on your comments, I'm assuming you don't have a smart phone capable of running Pandora or Spotify.

If I'm mistaken, those are great places to start.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    Based on your comments, I'm assuming you don't have a smart phone capable of running Pandora or Spotify.

No smart phone :)
  • iowalinda
    Options
    Amazon has workout music set to a specific BPM.

I had no idea. I will go see what I can find :)
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use this website to find specific BPM music
    https://songbpm.com/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »

No smart phone :)

Kills my suggestion.

I use Rock My Run (free version), but am finding it tops out at ~160 BPM for music I like. Trying to get to 180 BPM and I don't like the playlists so I'm looking for something else.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    I just found this website and wanted to share it: http://www.steadymixes.com/ It's got the 130 bpm I was looking for and it's free to download to my mp3 player.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the site you found @iowalinda.
    I may just refresh my walking music.

Cheers, h.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    I have a cheap little devise that plays music on headphones. I would like to get any music for it that would have a beat that I could walk to, as I've figured out the music helps me keep my pace up and also makes the time go faster. I am currently walking about a mile in 16 minutes, so how many beats per minute should I look for. Also, is there a free website I can download music from? Doesn't have to be any special music, just with a fast enough beat. Can anyone help me? I hope I am explaining this correctly, as I am terrible with technology.

Look up Jog.FM website. Plug in your walking speed and it will give you suggestions for that pace.

A 16 minute mile is music with a BPM (beats per minute) in the mid 130's.

https://walk.jog.fm/workout-songs/for/16:00/minute-miles

There are websites that help you find BPM speeds for songs on CD's you own. You play your CD, tap along to the beat using the space key and the BPM is displayed. I've filled an MP3 player by doing that.

Tempo Tap.........

I found a ton of Curves music CD's at a thrift store....these are a great pace for walking.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of Amazon Prime & I can download some great tunes on my phone for free. I don't know much about beats per minute, I know I have various tempos loaded, I just play what i'm in the mood for at the moment. Some faves: Love Shack (B52's), Learn to Fly (Foo Fighters) Vertigo (U2), Pump It Up (Elvis Costello) and Pump It (Black Eyed Peas).
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks!!!!
  • iowalinda
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    A 16 minute mile is music with a BPM (beats per minute) in the mid 130's.

https://walk.jog.fm/workout-songs/for/16:00/minute-miles

There are websites that help you find BPM speeds for songs on CD's you own. You play your CD, tap along to the beat using the space key and the BPM is displayed. I've filled an MP3 player by doing that.

Tempo Tap.........

I found a ton of Curves music CD's at a thrift store....these are a great pace for walking.
    Thank you! I did not know about the Tempo Tap site. I'm going to try that out :)

• samuelgeorge435346
    samuelgeorge435346 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this playlist creating tool? https://getsongbpm.com/running. It's for all sorts of activities and can give you a set playlist based around a genre, decade and/or beats per minute of a track. I put it at my running pace of 180bpm and used it for my gym workout too, some awesome tracks.