Runners- getting back out after being sick

Options
I've been sick for about 3 weeks now, found out I have bronchitis and starting to feel better enough that I just want to get back out! I have never missed more than 7 days running before, but only run 2-3 times a week anyways. How much harder will it be, should I walk for longer during my warm up getting into it etc?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Expect it to be harder. How much harder is impossible to say. How much you may or may not need to walk is impossible to say. Go out with a route/distance in mind, but allow yourself more time or have an easy turn-around point if it's not going well.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I agree with above - you will have lost some of the fitness you gained when you were consistently running and due to having bronchitis your cardio vascular abilities might be compromised.

If you have strong muscle memory, it may not be as hard (as in your legs won't feel fatigued) but you might struggle with the breathing.

Either way - take it easy the first run out, and see how you feel. Good luck and glad you're feeling better
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    start with short route and expect a slower than normal pace. it'll feel hard, but your fitness should come back pretty quick once you get going regularly again.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Go shorter to start, go slower (based on how you're feeling). it's not a race, it's getting back into it. Be sure you run/jog/walk at a pace where you can still enjoy it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor confirmed that your bronchitis is cleared.... The last thing you want to do is turn the bronchitis into pneumonia.

Go slow, go easy.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You didn't lose nearly as much as you think. It might be harder because you may still have some lingering congestion, but it won't be tougher because of your cardiovascular conditioning.

I missed two weeks and it didn't hurt my running at all. In fact, it actually helped because it gave me time to really recover and heal some minor nuisance items. I never realized how beat up I had become from months of running. Within my first week back, I had set new personal bests for 5K and 10K.

Edited to add: as stated above, plan to run slow and easy. No need to push unless you feel good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    I've been sick for about 3 weeks now, found out I have bronchitis and starting to feel better enough that I just want to get back out! I have never missed more than 7 days running before, but only run 2-3 times a week anyways. How much harder will it be, should I walk for longer during my warm up getting into it etc?

Essentially, be kind to yourself. Don't worry if you're slower, or have less endurance than before the illness. You'll take a bit of time to build back up again, but it's much easier than starting from scratch.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Definitely come back slow and easy. Don't even time yourself, just pay attention to your body and run at a conversational pace.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It’ll be a little tough. My respiratory system always takes a few more days to recover to its usual level even when I feel better.

Don’t be in a hurry to do too much, too soon. Try a short run at a slow pace and see how you feel. Turn around if something isn’t right. You don’t want to risk complicating your recovery.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    My experience is:
    First run: OMG I can't run anymore I've lost everything am I actually going backwards I'm about to die
    Second run: ok this is gonna be like starting all over again, based on last time. Expect to fail. Oh, this isn't so bad actually, my legs feel fine, just gotta take it a bit slow.
    Few more runs and then I get my speed back and it feels like flying, I'd forgotten how good this was
    Few more runs and I forget the novelty and it's just back to normal.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I was sick for two weeks and didn't run at all - flu and chest congestion. Two days ago I took my first run and found I needed to go slower than normal because of breathing issues. Today I ran again and everything is pretty much back to normal. Go easy to start and then ramp up as your body tells you to. You should not have lost much cardiovascular fitness over 3 weeks.