Question for those that weigh themselves daily

Options

Replies

• Decapins
    Decapins Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The problem of logging your lowest weight is that its then annoying to see 2 lbs more on the scale. I was probably unnaturally low that one day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If asked about my weight on any given day, I usually give them my trend weight on that day. I don't have an official weigh-in day and my scale logs the weight for me into MFP daily, so I don't need to update it manually. I don't have IG, but the weight you post in IG doesn't really matter, just post whatever you want depending if you want a little ego boost, want to be factual to the day by posting your weight on that day, or if you feel averages are good enough like I do when asked.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »
    My weight doesn’t fluctuate barely any, save for the occasional loss, then it stays completely the same for a few days, then a small drop.. and so on. Maybe my scale is awful?

Some scales will display the last result if the change isn't beyond some threshold. Stupid, but they are out there and I had one.

Try stepping on the scale with one foot, stepping off and then weighing normally. See if that gives you a different number.

Mine isn’t a digital scale, and I’ve tried that technique, plus stepping on/off and in different places around the room. It’s very weird. I don’t have any fluctuations through my entire monthly cycle. Or I do but my scale isn’t catching them? It just seems weird that it would go down as expected but otherwise be completely consistent and linear.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question. Tell people whatever you want to tell them. Why does it matter?

I've been weighing myself daily and have been logging that data in MFP and Excel daily for 21 months.

Just started using Libra a couple of months ago and had to back-enter 19 months of data because I couldn't import it from Excel.

I run a 7, 15 and 30 day moving average on Excel and Libra reports a "trend" of unknown duration (or method of calculation) which is never the same as the moving averages calculated on Excel.

So, regardless of the data source, my weight (whether actual, an Excel moving ave or Libra) are all different. Similiar (w/in a small range) but different nonetheless.

If asked, I'd just give the weight which most closely fits what my weight has been w/in the past 2 weeks rounded to the closest whole number.

Over the past 12 months, this has been 158 but over the past 2 weeks it has dropped to 156.

• amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self daily as well . I log everyday unless it stays the same.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself everyday, even before I found and downloaded Libra. I'm in a weekly weigh-in challenge to keep myself on track and set my "official weigh-in" day on Fridays. I enter whatever I weigh on Friday morning in the morning (naked, after I've used the bathroom, and before I eat anything).

Besides my mfp friends, I don't talk about my daily or weekly weights online or in person.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    When I see a new low then I will log it on MFP and use that as the goal to beat. I log my ups and downs on Libra to see the trend.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I get out of bed, pee, then weigh myself. Sunday morning weight gets entered in the check-in.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but because I'm in maintenance I only change my MFP weight status when I have been up or down by more than 3 lb for a week...very rare.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I use my lowest weight on a 10 day trending. I use happy scale. Of course if I go a couple of weeks and don’t see that number again, that’s a different story...
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    claritea1 wrote: »
    I weigh myself every morning and use happy scale to see the trend. Of course, my daily weight goes up-and-down, but is on a general downward trend. Wednesday is my official weigh-day where I update MFP and update my friends on IG. The problem is, I may have my very lowest weight on a Saturday and then my weight might go back up 3 pounds Wednesday. So my question for those that weigh every day, do you use your lowest weight of the week for the official loss or do you use the actual? Thanks!

Lowest day of the week.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and add that to Happy Scale. I only log lows on Myfitnesspal. I'm not sure why... makes me feel better? Lol

Same here.... I don’t want to get likes on my feed for losing the same ounce I lost a few days ago. It makes the new lows feel special to me.

• LittleMissCreative2018
    Options
    Don’t weigh daily. There is no need. Once a week is much more motivating.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in most mornings and put it on the calendar. Its easier for me to see a trend, whether its going up or down. And also acknowledge the effects of alcohol and fast food lunches, and recognize the benefits of a few great workout days in a row, etc.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,458 Member
    Options
    I put my weight into MFP every day. If I was just weighing once per week I would use that day, whatever the scale. After all, it's about the overall trend, right?

My lightest days are usually Sundays and Mondays. A week at the office leads to a bit more water weight gain, that is mostly gone by Sunday again.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

People do it for data collection. Weight can fluctuate, and it's motivating to see a downward trend without paying too much attention to weight going up sometimes. With weekly weighing some people can get discouraged because they haven't lost weight and not even know that they actually did, but their weekly weigh in happened to fall on a day where they were retaining water.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,458 Member
    Options

People do it for data collection. Weight can fluctuate, and it's motivating to see a downward trend without paying too much attention to weight going up sometimes. With weekly weighing some people can get discouraged because they haven't lost weight and not even know that they actually did, but their weekly weigh in happened to fall on a day where they were retaining water.

Data collection can have it's pros and cons of course. I know how my weight fluctuates throughout the week. Last week I was suddenly gaining 'weight' beyond the usual water weight. It really confused me, but instead of reaching the right conclusion, namely that I was developing a stomach bug I first doubted my logging, then thought I'd eaten rotten food. The obvious thing for me: getting sick and it might be a good idea to slow down a bit just didn't occur to me :#
  • SuzieQ789
    SuzieQ789 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »
    My weight doesn’t fluctuate barely any, save for the occasional loss, then it stays completely the same for a few days, then a small drop.. and so on. Maybe my scale is awful?

I want your scale! :D
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I log weight whenever it goes down. So let's say Friday says 150.6 & I log that. Then it fluxuates up on Saturday and Sunday. Then down to 150.2 on Monday, I'll log that on Monday.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    friday is my log day. thats the weight i use.