ARGH!! .... I guess it might be time to step off the scales?

So I started my journey at 11st ( 154lbs) and my goal was to get down to 10st (140lbs)
I’ve been going to the gym atleast 4 times a week, mostly doing spin classes, I also do PT once a week where we do weights.
I dropped to 145lbs rather quickly and now my weight keeps going up and down by a couple of pounds. I’m doing everything right, on average eating 1,200 cals a day, with a cheat day once a week....
Im just finding it odd because I’m looking slimmer, feeling better in clothes, I know I’m gonna fluctuate but Is it time to ditch the scales now? Or will it eventually come off? Am I now gaining muscle where I won’t ever get to my goal weight?
Feeling motivated when I look in the mirror and can physically see myself looking better but I get on the scales and i can’t understand when my weight has gone up. ARGH!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yes weight will always fluctuate, but if you maintain a deficit then you will still lose over time.

Given you are close to goal you should reduce your deficit, and then you just need to stay consistent.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »
    So I started my journey at 11st ( 154lbs) and my goal was to get down to 10st (140lbs)
    I’ve been going to the gym atleast 4 times a week, mostly doing spin classes, I also do PT once a week where we do weights.
    I dropped to 145lbs rather quickly and now my weight keeps going up and down by a couple of pounds. I’m doing everything right, on average eating 1,200 cals a day, with a cheat day once a week....
    Im just finding it odd because I’m looking slimmer, feeling better in clothes, I know I’m gonna fluctuate but Is it time to ditch the scales now? Or will it eventually come off? Am I now gaining muscle where I won’t ever get to my goal weight?
    Feeling motivated when I look in the mirror and can physically see myself looking better but I get on the scales and i can’t understand when my weight has gone up. ARGH!!!

• l4ur4j4d4
    l4ur4j4d4 Posts: 19 Member
    So you’re saying no cheat day!? Jesus Christ... I don’t know about that...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    How many calories in your “cheat day”?
  • l4ur4j4d4
    Probably about 2,000 .... I’m so good in the week though! Shall I cut out carbs?
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2018
    As long as you stay in a deficit you will lose..CICO. As someone else mentioned as you near towards your goal you can reduce the deficit..and stay consistent. I used to look at my calories over a week range and not daily. I may have gone over one day..but under another and it still averages out to my needed deficit..hence weight-loss continued..it did fluctuate but I stayed the course and it came off.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    So you’re saying no cheat day!? Jesus Christ... I don’t know about that...

Do you want to lose the weight?

You'd be better off creating a moderate deficit -- AKA, not restricting down to 1200, unless you're talking 1200 net -- and working in those foods that you want in moderation. And then sticking to that moderate deficit.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Probably about 2,000 .... I’m so good in the week though! Shall I cut out carbs?

Carbs are fine, and it’s fine to have a day where you don’t eat at deficit, but if you’re not losing, you should definitely look at dialing that day back some. If you eat at maintenance one or two days a week you’ll slow your loss but not stop it, but if you eat over maintenance it’s possible you are wiping out your weekly deficit. You said “probably” 2000 calories on those days - are you weighing your food every day, including the cheat, and logging everything? It’s hard to lose when you’re close to your goal, so if you haven’t been diligent with your portions, now may be the time. Good luck!
  • l4ur4j4d4
    I don’t always log, especially if I’m having a bad day. But yeah I probably need to cut the *kitten* day out, or just still log and tone it down haha.
    I only started my weight loss at the beginning of the year, so it hasn’t been long. I just thought I’d be easy to lose a stone in 2 months, need to be more patient I guess...
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    My weight has had up to 10 pound fluctuations within a week the last two months. These always occur after "cheat days" where I forget about logging for a couple of days. I think it is my body's reaction to higher sodium levels and less water because it keeps coming down when I start logging and staying at a 1200 cal net. I bet if you stop having cheat days, then your weight will continue to go down.
  • l4ur4j4d4
    Thank you everyone, appreciate the advice!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I don’t always log, especially if I’m having a bad day. But yeah I probably need to cut the *kitten* day out, or just still log and tone it down haha.
    I only started my weight loss at the beginning of the year, so it hasn’t been long. I just thought I’d be easy to lose a stone in 2 months, need to be more patient I guess...

How often in a week do you not log?
  • jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    You’ll get there. I have weeks I’m on point, exercise daily, low on calories, and gain 4, then the next week take in more calories, and lose 2.
    Slow and steady, and your body is morphing. If you take measurements you’ll see the progress.
  • l4ur4j4d4
    Just once a week... either a Saturday because the evening I’ll go out and have dinner and then go and have a tone of alcohol, which is hard to log when you wake up and can’t remember how much you’ve had. Or it’ll be a Sunday, where I’ve ate so much I’m too scared to log it hahaha.
  • l4ur4j4d4
    What so I gotta have no social life to lose weight? Brilliant, may aswell give up now
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    You said it early on, "my clothes fit better, I look better, but the scale is not moving down", you are gaining muscle, losing fat, muscle weighs more then fat. As long as your body keeps changing for the better and you feel better, ignore the scale for awhile.