Getting RDA of potassium

Options
Is there anyone getting in the RDA of potassium in thier diet? 3500mg

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do...

But keep in mind that it's not something that is required to be on food labels...food labels are where most of the database entries come from, so if it's not on the label then it won't be in the database.

Google high potassium foods if you're worried about it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I do, but I had to do some research and pick foods from the database that had potassium in the nutrition info - which as cwolfman13 said, isn't a required nutrient.

Potassium shortages are pretty uncommon in First World countries. If you eat a varied mostly whole food plan, you're probably fine.

Don't supplement potassium unless directed by a doctor.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do, and more, without trying. I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, beans & lentils.
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Can't really trust food labels to tell you Potassium contents. If you're really concerned, look up the food to find an approximation. Or just be like me and sprinkle losalt and regular salt on everything.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of watermelon, spinach, yogurt, and a fair bit of squash (butternut —others too, love delicate and acorn) and sweet potato, plus have a couple nuun hydration tablets per day, so probably
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone getting in the RDA of potassium in thier diet? 3500mg

Assuming you are in the US, until the new Nutrition Label requirements are completely implemented the potassium numbers at MFP are pretty much useless. It is highly likely you are reaching the RDA already.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the rda for potassium is, or even if there is one. But here is the last five days for me.
    09ebnff66w0h.png
    The days with lots of it, a lot of it came from sun-dried tomatoes. Buy them in bulk.