My name is Frank and I'm addicted to eating too much and not

Options
fldillon
fldillon Posts: 22 Member
I've been telling myself for years that I don't have a problem and that I can quit anytime I want to. I've even gone so far as to "prove" it to myself on several occasions by losing a bunch of weight only to become complacent and gain it all right back. I'm ready to admit that I have a problem and need help to beat this thing. I'm hoping to meet some like-minded people here who also need help keeping accountable, are looking for encouragement, and need help staying motivated. Please add me if you are one of those or are willing to help a struggling addict!

Replies

• Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat...lost 40 lbs., gained 15 back, lost that 15 and gained it back again. For me it is all about logging because otherwise I just simply don't pay attention to what I am eating at all. I am going to go add you as a friend right now...
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'll add you Frank, I need help too!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I too have lived in denial about my lifestyle for years. I am starting slowly and have a very long way to go. I could always use some extra motivation and am not afraid to motivate so add me if you like.
  • carmen58
    carmen58 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Frank,
    I can relate to what u are saying. I've done the same thing too. I'm good when I'm focused on healthy eating and then sometimes I totally loose it and continue eating until my stomach can take no more. I want to stop this unhealthy habit. I hope we can help and encourage one another.
  • valerieheat
    Options
    Hi Frank, I have had the same struggle. A very helpful thing to do is to be sure that you log everything you eat, even if you're way over your daily goal. That in itself is a form of accountability right there.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    A wise person once said, " I don't have a weight problem, I have a food problem." I can relate. Used to think I'd NEVER overcome it- since you don't have to smoke or drink or take drugs to live, but you still gotta eat......seemed like an impossible battle.

NOT TRUE.

I have been on this road of recovery for 16 weeks ( taking it slow and steady), learning to make BETTER choices, overcome temptations and get back up when I fail (instead of throwing in the towel) and keep binging....

Sometimes I ate too much of the wrong things. (gluttony)
    I never felt I had a problem because I often skipped eating altogether- which also is not only UNhealthy, but adds to the weight gain cuz my body stored what I did eat as belly fat instead.

Best Wishes to you as you move forward. You've taken a big step in realizing you have a problem...and an even bigger step saying you want to break free from it. That's a HUGE victory already before the scale even moves!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I can definitely relate. I'll send you a friend request.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'll add you too because I am in the same boat. I just don't know how to get my mind in teh right place. I ALWAYS want takeout! Not only is is bad for me, but I'm gonna go broke! So I'd appreciate any support you guys can give me and I'll do the same for you!
  • marcyj
    marcyj Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've done the same thing too many times to count. Kudos for you for stepping up and looking your lifestyle in the face and making a solid decision to take control! I'm sending you a friend request right now!
  • SuzLozinIt
    SuzLozinIt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to MyFitnessPal, and this is the first time I've been on the message boards. I like to think that people cross our paths for a reason, and am glad to have found your post, Frank. I can very much relate -- especially to being able to stick with it for 6-8 weeks, and then getting off track. Same story here - and I'm currently in about week 6. First five weeks were EASY. Now struggling to stick with it -- so hope we can help one another! Will add you as a friend. Thanks!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    Wow it's like I just wrote that.... you sound just like me! I have the very same problem. Its an aweful addiction. I have been diagnosed as an obsessive/compulsive and binge eater. My biggest problem is that I secret eat/binge. Sometimes I can control it but I am 35 and still struggle. Whew I cant believe I just confessed to that! Not too many people know that about me! Ok so now that you got that outta me I am going to add you as a friend so we can help each other when needed :)
  • fldillon
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the replies and friend requests. I wish the site allowed me to type responses to some of the great comments left. It was pretty hard for me to type those words, but looking at them now and reading all the responses I'm more convinced than ever that I need to treat this like an addiction and look to others for help. Those who know me know that I'm a pretty private person but I'm ready for a change.
  • vaderq84
    vaderq84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    we all do it . the key is not to do it constantly. Keep working out, dieting and don't stop.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    I feel your, Frank! I have an eating addiction. I lost 120lbs, then gained 70lbs back. I have lost 39 of that 70lbs by changing my lifestyle and exercising everday. It was tough for me. I have come to grips with the fact that this change I have made will have to be a "forever" change... I can't go back to eating like I was. To help me keep on track, I blog my successes and failures.. that makes me accountable to family, friends, and strangers. It helps.
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm w/ ya Frank - my main thing is I tend to self sabbotage. I get it in my head that ...well since I screwed up royally today I end up blowing it all week etc. Its a vicious cycle. I am trying to keep my head in the game by just taking one day @ a time making good choices. One bad day DOES NOT open the door for more bad decisions & being irresponsible. Just get back on that wagon IMMEDIATELY! I'll send a friend request. Plus I see your my neighbor to East so better yet! ~Tracey
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    Frank, I'll add you as a friend! I am a total "foodie" myself. Love to cook, love to eat. Matter of fact, the highlight of my day would be going out to dinner. Every event in my life revolved around food. Couldn't have a good time without food. Lots of really good, really fattening food. I still love food! But like being thin and healthy a heck of a lot more. Once I got all the sugar and salt and fat out of my system, my tastes changed and now its not that hard to eat right. Its the stuff I WANT to eat now.

I understand your struggle though. I used to do Weight Watchers. Did it for 6 dang years. I hit my goal weight 4 times!! Neve stayed there long enough to become a lifetime member. As soon as I got to goal, I turned around and started going the other way till I gained it all back.

Then I found MFP. Whole new ballgame. This time it clicked! Track your food, move your butt, and you don't have to worry about gaining weight back. Simple as that. Eat your daily allottment and whatever calories you burn with exercise and you're on your way to getting and staying the size you want to be.

So........I'm 50. If a woman my age can lose the weight and keep it off, you can too! Add me as a friend. I'll help you stay motivated.

Also, I recommend you publish your diary to your friends. It keep me WAY accountable and when I think I'll hit that bag of chips, it helps me change my mind. Half the eating people like us do is out of boredom or habit anyway.
  • fldillon
    Options
    Thanks Goal4Good. I've published my diary per your recommendation. This is a great site. Looking forward to being here a long time and making many new friends.
  • nilla32zoe
    Options
    I can relate too! I need the support too.
    So I will add you as a friend
    thank you for posting and your honesty!
    You will get great support from MFP!
  • danstvguy
    Options
    I'd stop calling myself an addict. If you're an addict then we all are since everyone craves food when they think they are hungry ... only those with a true illness wouldn't seek food when they are hungry. The trouble is that our mind sometimes tricks us into thinking we are hungry when we really aren't.

Instead ... like I do .. start using this site as sort of a daily ledger and balance sheet. Allocate a certain number of calories and ... balance it with an appropriate exercise and eating (even things you crave) plan. Then try to stay with it. Think of yourself as an accountant of your body and try not to run overages too much. Record everything. Even the days you lapse.

Good Luck!
  • danstvguy
    Options
    Excellent post!