Yep, I am gonna go there...sorry

Options
Personal question...can't believe I am bringing this up but I really need to know. Did anyone else have problems having bowel movements when they changed their diets? I know for a fact I get more fiber than I used to, but I have really been having problems in that department.....Thanks for any input :)

Replies

• rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Drink WATER!!!! Exercise!!!!! If that don't work, Colace or a generic form of a stool softner!!!!!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your iron intake as well as fiber. I'm anemic, and have to take an iron supplement daily. When I started taking it, I realized that it causes bowel movement problems and had to add more fiber into my diet. Also, drink lots of water. Your body will get used to it eventually :)
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? That can have a bearing on it. I personally like green tea. I drink at least two cups a day.

Forgot to add that the green tea helps with that problem for me.
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think that this happens pretty frequently when you change your diet especially if you have been eating a lot of processed foods before. Have you been making sure that you have been drinking more water that helps sometimes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's normal with a change in diet. Make sure you are hydrated and eating plenty of fruits and veggies and your gut will adjust.
  • theLBshow
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through... I went and still am going through the same thing. I ate sooo much crap before, I think my body just got used to it. Now I am eating more vegetables and drinking more water... It will get better when your body adjusts to your new lifestyle.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    A couple o tablespoons of psyllium husk usually does the trick. With plenty of water, of course!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Oooh poop topics are always fun!

And eating large amounts of protein, like most people building muscle or on certain diets do, tend to cause constipation. I've been there!

Eat plenty of healthy fats, and drink TONS of water.
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes the first fifteen days were horrible running to the bathroom. I think my body was protesting the change. Now I get clogged everyweek. I drink a bunch of water and eat fruits and veggies with every meal and it still happens.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    when you eat healthy versus filling your body with junk, it absorbs more. this is why they call bowel movements 'waste,' its everything the body doesnt use. therefore, eating healthy nutritious foods = less poop. if you're just plain uncomfortable (constipated) then do as the others say and drink plenty of water.
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    Green Smoothies help with that as well! Also- its healthiest and best to go at least 3x a day! Probiotics seem to help me. Good luck- if it continues- there are alot of natureal healthy ways to get things going that are not diuretics- herbal tinctures-i get mine locally- Dr christophers Lower bowel tincture- not sure who all carried that maybe try amazonherb. com? i know some people order herbals from there. The one i get helps rebuild the intestinal tract and get stuff moving!
  • lissarv68
    Options
    *shrugs* I'll go there too.

It's part of dieting, I think. You aren't eating as much so there isn't as much to get rid of (plus if you got rid of the processed, fatty foods then your body needs time to adjust). Drink more water, eat more fiber (I make sure to have at least one Fiber One bar a day). If I realize it's been a couple of days, and yes it does go that long, then I will go to Starbucks and splurge on a latte. Works like a charm every time.

LOL so there! I went there too hehe.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your iron intake as well as fiber. I'm anemic, and have to take an iron supplement daily. When I started taking it, I realized that it causes bowel movement problems and had to add more fiber into my diet. Also, drink lots of water. Your body will get used to it eventually :)

ugh I'm anemic. I used to take iron supplements when I was pregnant. hm perhaps I should again. good times. and good subject!
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I read on some other dieting site that it's really common, because your body is used to moving through a certain volume of food that is probably much smaller once you start dieting. Plus less junk and all that. Try drinking lots of water, and maybe taking a softener to make things easier.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of green veggies. Broccoli and green beans are my favorites. I also eat a salad (romaine or spinach) with lunch and dinner as wells as put a couple cups of fresh spinach in my eggs for breakfast.

I recommend veggies over fruit for fiber (especially insoluble fiber) because they have so few calories that they'll fit into any dietary requirements.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well, I seem to always have that problem...so my change in diet didn't help me. I drink some of that icky metamucil stuff every night (that is the psyllium hulls that someone else mentioned) and that helps.
  • Austynl
    Austynl Posts: 19
    Options
    Do you feel constipated? If not, I would not worry about it. Like others have mentioned, when you eat bad foods, you go more often and there is...well more. Also when you eat less, less will come out!
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    My change in diet (more protein, less fats, less processed foods) and change in exercise (running almost daily) has actually helped me in the digestive department. :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Up your exercise, too. I found that regular cardio exercise actually promotes bowel regularity, at least for me.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what your typical day looks like. What are you eating, drinking, etc. If you are having issues with constipation I suggest adding more fruits and veggies. Apples (my favorite fruit) are a great way to keep yourself regular. Also like others have said, drink water lots and often.

I also you may want to try various teas. Black tea is known for keeping peoples bowels stimulated. As far as herbal tea goes Chamomile is good for calming the digestive tract. Also Goldenseal root, Aloe, fennel,Slippery Elm and any type of bitter herb will be good for digestion.

If constipation gets too bad, prune juice is always a great fix. Down about 8-16 oz of that and you should be going in no time.

Good luck!