Is this too many calories for 5’7?

Options
Hey everyone! Been logging here since past 15 days and wanted to get any advice available

Replies

• hannahsmith7299
    hannahsmith7299 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is my whole post showing up lol
  • hannahsmith7299
    Options
    Basically what I said was I’m 5’7 and 161pounds, my goal is to get to 140pounds, I have set Mfp to lightly active and have 1610calories allocated to me. Do you think this is too high an amount of calories? Or will it be a more sustainable loss long term in this way? Would I perhaps be better doing 1.5 or 2 pounds loss per week?

Just looking for any advice or insights more experienced members will have or any pointers you can give me for my stats. Many thanks.
  • 5x5SL
    5x5SL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think you are better off with the steady weight loss. Too much of a calorie deficit will leave you feeling drained and you'll be more likely to fall off the wagon. What sort of activity are you doing? Running? weights? Are you training for anything specifically?
  • hannahsmith7299
    Options
    Rob_181 wrote: »
    I think you are better off with the steady weight loss. Too much of a calorie deficit will leave you feeling drained and you'll be more likely to fall off the wagon. What sort of activity are you doing? Running? weights? Are you training for anything specifically?

I go on a long walk each day which puts me in to the lightly active category. I also do housework and walk around my university campus! Thank you for the reply!
  • hannahsmith7299
    Options
    Thing is I think I’m actually 5’7.5 too but mfp didn’t have any option for this lol
  • 5x5SL
    5x5SL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No problem. If you need any help or advice, feel free to message me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Thing is I think I’m actually 5’7.5 too but mfp didn’t have any option for this lol

Metric is more precise there.
    But yes, you don't have much to lose, thus a slow loss is good.
  • hannahsmith7299
    Options
    You should only set it to lightly active you really are lightly active. This doesn't include exercise. What is your typical day like? If you typically walk around more than the average person with a desk job, then your activity level is correct and your calories are okay. If you have a desk job or you don't move around as much on your typical day, then you may not average the rate of loss that you want without introducing extra activity, which is fine if you are fine with it, but it's a good thing to understand why instead of blaming your metabolism like new dieters usually do.

No, you don't need to do 1.5-2 pounds a week. This is usually reserved for heavier people, and even then it's a personal choice. If you feel your current calorie level is sustainable then that's what you should go for.

Keep in mind if you decide to reset your activity level to sedentary you will get fewer calories, but you will be able to eat more calories on days you are more active - calories added through exercise or fitness trackers are meant to be eaten back. Some people prefer to eat 50-75% of them because they can be over-estimated sometimes. This percentage can be moved up or down based on your experience, so if you see yourself losing too fast, you could eat more of your exercise calories, too slow, eat fewer of them.

ETA: You explained your activity level while I was typing this response. If you go on a long walk every day then yes, lightly active is right for you. Just make sure not to log it as exercise as well because it would double count the calories.

Thank you very much for this detailed response. The impression I’m getting is that I’m on the right tracks and I’ll just continue as I have been so far! I also wanted to ask do I need to re enter my weight details ever 5 or 10 pounds lost? Or will it automatically recalibrate my new weight loss calorie limits for me?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You should only set it to lightly active you really are lightly active. This doesn't include exercise. What is your typical day like? If you typically walk around more than the average person with a desk job, then your activity level is correct and your calories are okay. If you have a desk job or you don't move around as much on your typical day, then you may not average the rate of loss that you want without introducing extra activity, which is fine if you are fine with it, but it's a good thing to understand why instead of blaming your metabolism like new dieters usually do.

No, you don't need to do 1.5-2 pounds a week. This is usually reserved for heavier people, and even then it's a personal choice. If you feel your current calorie level is sustainable then that's what you should go for.

Keep in mind if you decide to reset your activity level to sedentary you will get fewer calories, but you will be able to eat more calories on days you are more active - calories added through exercise or fitness trackers are meant to be eaten back. Some people prefer to eat 50-75% of them because they can be over-estimated sometimes. This percentage can be moved up or down based on your experience, so if you see yourself losing too fast, you could eat more of your exercise calories, too slow, eat fewer of them.

ETA: You explained your activity level while I was typing this response. If you go on a long walk every day then yes, lightly active is right for you. Just make sure not to log it as exercise as well because it would double count the calories.

Thank you very much for this detailed response. The impression I’m getting is that I’m on the right tracks and I’ll just continue as I have been so far! I also wanted to ask do I need to re enter my weight details ever 5 or 10 pounds lost? Or will it automatically recalibrate my new weight loss calorie limits for me?

I'm not sure if it recalculates (I don't use the guided goals, I manually enter my calories), but from what I remember it doesn't do it automatically and you need to go through the guided calorie goal setting again every few pounds. If you are updating your weight periodically, the guided goal process is pretty fast and only involves clicking through the screens without changing anything for it to recalculate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable. No need to make things too difficult if you don't have to. Use trending weight app. Calculate progress based on results after 4 to 6 weeks that include complete monthly cycle. Adjust at that point if needed.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »
    I’m 5’7 and 133 lbs. I lost 94 lbs but I didn’t use mfp to calculate my goals as it made my calorie intake way too low (1,200). I used scoobysworkshop to calculate my daily calorie intake and read up on BMR and TDEE. The site is very helpful. I also read up on “eating more to weigh less.”

If you’re lightly active then that seems like a reasonable amount of calories. I eat more than you do but I lift weights and am on my feet constantly.

Good luck!

Unlikely, unless you chose a too high weightloss goal. Thus not MFP put you on 1200/day but you yourself did it.

But congratulations on your loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options

You've gotten some good answers here, I just wanted to let you know that if you use phone emojis your post will get cut off on this forum.

Good luck!

I lost the last 15 pounds (from 155 to 140 @ 5'7", female) on 1500 (1800-1900 on exercise days) so you'e likely good at 1610. It takes time when you don't have a lot to lose. Just try to be patient and eat enough, because under-eating has its own set of problems and will always lead to over-eating on a subsequent day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wanted to add, with those last few lbs, accuracy is key... Get a food scale and be consistent.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to ask do I need to re enter my weight details ever 5 or 10 pounds lost? Or will it automatically recalibrate my new weight loss calorie limits for me?

Doing it every 5 or 10 lb and seeing mfp calculate a small downward adjustment in calories is easier to accept than waiting until you've lost 40 lb and then doing it to see a huge downward adjustment in calories.
  • hannahsmith7299
    Options

You've gotten some good answers here, I just wanted to let you know that if you use phone emojis your post will get cut off on this forum.

Good luck!

I lost the last 15 pounds (from 155 to 140 @ 5'7", female) on 1500 (1800-1900 on exercise days) so you'e likely good at 1610. It takes time when you don't have a lot to lose. Just try to be patient and eat enough, because under-eating has its own set of problems and will always lead to over-eating on a subsequent day.

How long did it take you to lose the last 15pounds on 1500? Thank you so much for the tip about phone emojis lol game changer! Are you on maintenance calories now, how many do you eat?