I always feel guilty

Options
No matter what I eat I seem to always feel guilty about eating it. I have began eating healthy and using the calorie counter has helped in keeping my food intake under control. However, if I eat a large salad instead of having a normal meal I feel guilty about it being "large". If I have an extra snack, albeit a healthy one, I feel guilty too. Does anyone experience this besides me? What should I do about it? I don't want to starve myself to lose the weight.

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    No matter what I eat I seem to always feel guilty about eating it. I have began eating healthy and using the calorie counter has helped in keeping my food intake under control. However, if I eat a large salad instead of having a normal meal I feel guilty about it being "large". If I have an extra snack, albeit a healthy one, I feel guilty too. Does anyone experience this besides me? What should I do about it? I don't want to starve myself to lose the weight.

You need to be less judgemental.
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it can be the down side of forming better habits, but it is definitely not a good thing to let it get out of control. Try thinking of the calories you have each day, including any gained through exercise, as a daily budget that ideally should not be exceeded, but also shouldn't be hoarded.it can be spent on what you want, just as though it were a present from someone. In fact, it's a present to yourself for a healthy life.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I did. You have to fight it! When I first started I beat myself up if I didn't eat the healthiest thing on the menu, the lowest calorie foods or God forbid a cookie! I slowly added back some of the food I like (that I had eliminated because they were "bad"). I try to take an 90/10 approach to food, while staying within my calories. 90 percent foods that are healthy, nutrient rich and filling and 10 percent of whatever I feel like. Its working for me. Im happy to be eating more of what I like and feeling guilt free. I continued to lose weight even while indulging. Some days I have way more than my 10 percent junk, other days I have no junk. I'm learning to roll with it. This is for life, so you need to figure out a plan you can live with!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don’t be so mean to yourself. A big salad that fills you up might be a better choice than a small brownie.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to keep doing the right things, even when they feel wrong. Your brain will adjust eventually.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You should definitely fight it. Do you prelog? If not, start doung that. Seeing your calorie target as something you're supposed to hit, not go under, can help.

This!