Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    zero
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Since finding MFP I've never quit - this app meant an end to years of yoyo dieting. Go MFP :smiley:
  • TheImperfectMomma
    TheImperfectMomma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have quit trying to be healthy at LEAST once a month since I was 15 until about 3 months ago. So...too many as I am now almost 27
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    None since I started MFP. I’ve ‘tried’ to lose weight before now, but I never really put much effort in beyond refusing the occasional dessert and thinking that swapping a pizza for a salad one time was gonna cut it, so I’m not sure I can really count those as proper attempts?
    I always kinda rationed things away by saying that I don’t eat too much and I have no idea how I’m 140lbs, but once I accepted that I actually was overeating then it became a lot easier for me.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Ehhh I go through phases of bad choices but the only times I've walked away from MFP were when I was pregnant.
  • twinkit
    twinkit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Never thought I had the patience to track plus I was drinking way to much alcohol. I haven't had any alcohol in 5 weeks. Today was a doozy. For the last 5 hours I've been in a state of stress. But alcohol and junk food will not win. Cooking a healthy dinner, mopped the floor even though the stupid mop broke on top of it. Then gonna rest with a little netflix. I like that. Keeping track is like anything else that is important.
  • Stuffielover
    Stuffielover Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How many times? If we're talking with MFP, just once. If we're talking overall between other sites and programs, eight or nine...or maybe more. I've lost count.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I actually joined twice. I never quit, but never used my first account at all. I started tracking calories/ macros after my first year of weight loss. After 7 months of doing it old school. Google searches and product labels, I decided to start using MFP to track and log prep meals. I did not have access to my old email, so I started a new one. It has actually been a slow evolution to where I am today. I now use it for almost all food logging and macro counting. Upgrading to premium was worth it to me!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I actually joined twice. I never quit, but never used my first account at all. I started tracking calories/ macros after my first year of weight loss. After 7 months of doing it old school. Google searches and product labels, I decided to start using MFP to track and log prep meals. I did not have access to my old email, so I started a new one. It has actually been a slow evolution to where I am today. I now use it for almost all food logging and macro counting. Upgrading to premium was worth it to me!

This is basically me too, after I lost the first fifty using mfp, I ditched it as I felt I knew the calories I ate with out having to log every single time, I basically plateau for a whole year after that then admitted to myself I can't just eyeballed my food to another 50 pound loss so I came back and signed up again, I have no clue what email I used last time lol.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've never consciously quit, but three times I let a few bad days where I didn't log turn into months (and regained my weight). The third time I continued to log in each day but didn't log my food or activity.

I ultimately decided that I was making the process too challenging and that's why I kept procrastinating getting back to it. So the third time I made it as easy as I needed it to be (which meant a snail's pace, less than 0.5lbs/week at some points).

So OP that's my advice to you, if it feels too difficult, make it easier.
  • mayas135
    mayas135 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I haven't quit. But I take it very slowly, take major breaks twice a year (a month long summer holidays and Christmas) where I gain around 2-3lbs which are planned gain and never torture myself if I really want to eat something. I never aim to follow some plan perfectly. I don't aim to be at a steady deficit. I don't aim to have login streaks. I only aim to lose weight whatever the rate.

I started 2+ years ago and have lost 30lbs and have 5-6lbs more to lose. Started at 165lbs, 135lbs now. The second year I've lost 8lbs total. Currently I eat at around 150cal deficit per day which is around 1lbs loss per month if I do it every day. But I don't.

Why did you quit OP? Is it the same reason or different reasons each time? What do you do when you quit? Do you plan to gain when you decide to quit or just maintain? How long do you need to not log your food to call it a "quit" officially? When you quit do you feel like you want to quit for good or just for a while? I've found that when I get fed up with being diligent and decide to eat more, it takes me only 3-4 days or less before I feel satisfied with taking the rest and I can go back to eating at a deficit. I never call those times "quits". They aren't really.

I hope you succeed this time.

But how do you do it!? It's so hard to stick. I can't even remember how many times I've quit. I'm always saying tomorrow I'll start. How do I just do it?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mayas135 wrote: »
    I haven't quit. But I take it very slowly, take major breaks twice a year (a month long summer holidays and Christmas) where I gain around 2-3lbs which are planned gain and never torture myself if I really want to eat something. I never aim to follow some plan perfectly. I don't aim to be at a steady deficit. I don't aim to have login streaks. I only aim to lose weight whatever the rate.

I started 2+ years ago and have lost 30lbs and have 5-6lbs more to lose. Started at 165lbs, 135lbs now. The second year I've lost 8lbs total. Currently I eat at around 150cal deficit per day which is around 1lbs loss per month if I do it every day. But I don't.

Why did you quit OP? Is it the same reason or different reasons each time? What do you do when you quit? Do you plan to gain when you decide to quit or just maintain? How long do you need to not log your food to call it a "quit" officially? When you quit do you feel like you want to quit for good or just for a while? I've found that when I get fed up with being diligent and decide to eat more, it takes me only 3-4 days or less before I feel satisfied with taking the rest and I can go back to eating at a deficit. I never call those times "quits". They aren't really.

But how do you do it!? It's so hard to stick. I can't even remember how many times I've quit. I'm always saying tomorrow I'll start. How do I just do it?

I think it's just a switch that clicks one day "this is my life now". Are you starting full throttle all out clean eating low calorie and an exercise? Have you considered easing into it, like starting by simply logging your food without any changes to see where you're currently at?
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Whatever you do, don't quit MFP. One day things will fall into place and you'll find you can do it. In the meantime keep posting and keep reading and learning and digesting the posts of the wise and helpful members here. Good luck!

• QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Don't aim for perfection. Just start logging everything you eat, good days and bad, make it a habit like brushing your teeth--just something you do.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I think it's just a switch that clicks one day "this is my life now". Are you starting full throttle all out clean eating low calorie and an exercise? Have you considered easing into it, like starting by simply logging your food without any changes to see where you're currently at?

Wow... how true is that about being part of life now.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, gebezlseva
  • Shylent81
    Shylent81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best I've done is loose 5 or 6 pounds which a can probably do with a good day on the toilet. Then I'll just give up but I'm thinking of trying this told help me loose more
    http://bit.ly/2ozU5ns
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I realized I've had this account since 2012 the other day. I've probably tried once every year or two since then to lose weight. This is my longest streak since then and I've lost over 10 lbs. It took a lot of sorting through bs diet industry info to realize I just need CICO to lose weight.

Things that are different now vs other times:
    -I set my weight loss per week to .5 lbs instead of 2lbs because eating 1200 cal a day or less makes me miserable and I'll binge eat. If I want to lose faster I move more.
    -I bought a food scale!!! Seriously it has helped me so much
    -I made 2 simple diet changes for myself: add some vegetables to every meal that I can, and limit liquid calories. Focusing on adding nutrient dense foods helps me stick to my calorie budget.
    -I focus on one day at a time and don't dwell on bad days or weeks. What matters is that I stick with it, the weight will come off eventually..
    -I told a few people I'm close with, which I've never done before. They aren't going to pester me but it adds some motivation for me

I don't regret all the times I quit though. I learned something each attempt and made small changes over the years that make this time possible. Good luck!!