Intermittent fasting vs small meals...

Options
Does IF really aid weight loss or does it come down to more total calories out than in at the end of the day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's all about your calories.

Choose whichever works for you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing aids weightloss. Consistently eating less tham you burn causes weightloss. Different strategies, including meal timings and other boundaries can make it easier to consistently eat less.

You can "do IF" and eat small meals - just keep your eating within the parameters of the "protocol" you choose.
  • sethbrezo
    sethbrezo Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So the so-called science behind IF isn't accurate? It comes down to calories? Of course, eating twice a day is convienent.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sethbrezo wrote: »
    Does IF really aid weight loss or does it come down to more total calories out than in at the end of the day?

IF is just a meal timing thing...people lose, maintain, and gain doing IF...

Weight management comes down to calories.

I used to never eat breakfast and inadvertently did 16:8 (didn't know it was a thing)...put on 40-50 Lbs eating that way because I was over consuming calories. Weight management is about energy coming in vs energy being expended.

IF is beneficial for some in regards to energy adherence.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There is new research that points to other benefits from IF but none relates to weight loss. Like someone above, I like it because I like bigger meals!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Whatever method helps you consistently maintain a deficit.

There aren't scientific peer reviewed studies for most diets. For example: if you read the 5:2 diet book by Michael Mosley his "evidence" for 5:2 is based on his personal results. 1 person does not make it proof. Losing weight alone would have helped certain health markers. Eating a different type of diet (say Mediterranean) would help people with certain medical conditions. Starting an exercise program also helps health markers. Too many factors to say it's just that one thing. Besides, paying for studies cuts into book profits.
  • littlebrittlifts
    littlebrittlifts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    For me, IF helps with calorie adherence. I eat at noon, then dinner. That’s it. Two huge meals. I like my belly full, so it really helps.

It used to be called skipping breakfast before they came up with a fancy name for it.

Exactly! Same here.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Weight loss or gain is all about calories. Different diets, meal schedules, macro splits work for people because they make it easier to eat the right amount of calories. That's why accurately logging is so useful, you can see all the data, compare good days to bad, and figure out what will work best for you.
  • sethbrezo
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    There is new research that points to other benefits from IF but none relates to weight loss. Like someone above, I like it because I like bigger meals!

Yeah. I like a big lunch and look forward to it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If that's what works best for you and helps you stick to your calorie goal without being miserable, go with it.

I pretty much always don't eat breakfast until around lunch time. I eat a decent-sized meal then, maybe a small mid-afternoon snack, then a big (1000-1500 calorie) dinner. Not because there's any magic in that eating pattern, but because it works for me and allows me to stay the course without being hungry/unsatisfied.

Let's say that hypothetically we could assign a concrete percentage of "optimal" to your diet (or workout routine, for that matter). Doing something that's 60% optimal 90% of the time will give you much better results than doing something that's 90% optimal 60% of the time. The two biggest factors which determine your success or failure will be adherence and consistency. So do what you can adhere to, do it consistently and have patience.
  • sethbrezo
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

If that's what works best for you and helps you stick to your calorie goal without being miserable, go with it.

I pretty much always don't eat breakfast until around lunch time. I eat a decent-sized meal then, maybe a small mid-afternoon snack, then a big (1000-1500 calorie) dinner. Not because there's any magic in that eating pattern, but because it works for me and allows me to stay the course without being hungry/unsatisfied.

Let's say that hypothetically we could assign a concrete percentage of "optimal" to your diet (or workout routine, for that matter). Doing something that's 60% optimal 90% of the time will give you much better results than doing something that's 90% optimal 60% of the time. The two biggest factors which determine your success or failure will be adherence and consistency. So do what you can adhere to, do it consistently and have patience.

I like that example. Thanks!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    both for the win !!!!!

I do IF when I am at work as its easy to not eat and then I can have a massive dinner when I get home and enjoy making food with multiple components that would normally push the calorie limit over the edge ... but when I work from home ... the house full of food is impossible for me to behave, even if I have regular meals .... so instead I have 60000 smaller grazing meals throughout the day.

Meal timing, is justa away of managing your calories ... but its CICO that matter
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's laso easier to live a regular life with IF. It allows me to be able to eat out, eat big dinner with my family, without thinking about size.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    karsei01 wrote: »
    It's laso easier to live a regular life with IF. It allows me to be able to eat out, eat big dinner with my family, without thinking about size.

Exactly..I do 5:2...because I like to be able to eat big meals and snacks in the weekend:)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    For me, IF helps with calorie adherence. I eat at noon, then dinner. That’s it. Two huge meals. I like my belly full, so it really helps.

It used to be called skipping breakfast before they came up with a fancy name for it.

Except that "skipping breakfast" is only one IF method. There's also 5:2 and 20/4 (skipping breakfast, snacks, and lunch?), Fast 5, Eat,Stop,Eat, and others.

I began doing IF years ago when people looked at you like you were crazy, and the word "fasting" instilled fear and anxiety. I did it because it helped me immensely in controlling my calorie intake, as it still does. But you can certainly still gain if you overeat during your eating window, whatever that might be.