Favorite Crockpot Meals?

Options

Replies

• jkliles
    jkliles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    this may not be a cool thing to everyone else but i thought it was awesome! I have this cookbook from the eat this not that guy and he has these food ingredient matrix charts to where you can create your own healthy and delicious creations. Here it is:

choose protein (1)
    short ribs chicken legs pork shoulder lamb shanks chuck roast dried bean mix (low for 2 hours)

choose veggies
    mirepox=onions, carrots, celery garlic potatoes mushrooms (only add last two hours)

choose braising liquid
    red wine white wine beer vinegar (balasmic, wine, rice wine, or sherry) soy sauce beef or chicken broth

choose flavor enhancers
    tomato paste (can of whole tomatoes) dried mushrooms bay leaves fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley) honey
    ginger

instructions: brown meat first with oil! after browning meat transfer to slowe cooker, deglaze pan by adding some of the braising liquid and use wooden spoon to scrape up the crusty bits stuck to pan; use enough liquid to cover the meat, including the liquid from the pan deglazing; best to pair at least half broth braising liquid then a full flavor liquid like wine beer vinegar or soy sauce. then add on flavor with veggies, spices, herbs, and other add ons. top and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high

i havent tried any creations yet but this guy is pretty awesome and makes great cookbooks!

by the way this is obviously a matrix for crock pot cooking :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Can I put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot to cook and, if so, how long will it take them to cook?

Also, when you put the chicken in with the salsa, do you put any water in with it? It seems like just salsa would burn?
  • mleb2005
    mleb2005 Posts: 45
    Options
    Just what I was going to say!
    Just throw the chicken in and a jar of salsa and your good to go!
  • mleb2005
    mleb2005 Posts: 45
    Options
    I usually add a little water but you dont have to, either way it tastes good and juicy. Last time I didn't and the salsa got dark but it didn't taste burnt at all.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    2 pork tenderloin, 1tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 cup red wine, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 packet onion soup mix, 3/4 cup of water = Awesome!!!
    OMG I am drooling!
  • julesgill
    Options
    Can I put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot to cook and, if so, how long will it take them to cook?

Also, when you put the chicken in with the salsa, do you put any water in with it? It seems like just salsa would burn?

I put frozen chicken in the crock pot all the time, and cook as the recipe says.
  • hgfmom
    hgfmom Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't have any venison, so I'd like to know do you brown the beef before hand? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to make sure.
  • hgfmom
    hgfmom Posts: 3
    Options
    That sounds really good. Any idea how many calories per serving? How much would one serving be?
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    love crockpot recipes...checking back later
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat red meat myself but my SO really loves a pot roast. I just throw it with water, sliced carrots and sliced potatoes and add some dried onion soup! Easy peasy!
  • julesgill
    Options
    I don't have any venison, so I'd like to know do you brown the beef before hand? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to make sure.

If you use ground beef, then yes, brown it first, but if you use stew beef, then no, you can put that in frozen =)
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    I love my crock pot! Bump!
  • julesgill
    Options
    Today I'm making pulled pork sliders!!!!
  • H2eather
    Options
    Sorry I didn't measure that out but I would guess around 1 and 1/2 cups
  • H2eather
    Options
    I don't brown the venison, so I would assume that you wouldn't brown the beef roast either. Just cut it up in chunks and let it cook on low all day.
  • kkcastaneda
    Options
    I put chicken breast or lean pork chops/steaks with one can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup bbq sauce. mix the three liquids together and pour over meat in crockpot. i cook for 4 hours and then add vegies or a salad with it.
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    I got this recipe from another post on this site.
    4 chicken breasts
    can of crushed pineapple (I drain some of the juices out of the can)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    crushed red pepper
    cook 4-5 hours on low

My family LOVES this recipe and it's soooo easy.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    oooh! I like! I got a slow cooker for Christmas this past year and haven't used it for anything besides making yogurt so I have been looking for recipes. I do have a pork roast sitting in the freezer right now that I got from my dad (yay for home grown meat!!) so now I'm just trying to think of what to do with it...but I will be making it in the slow cooker. Any ideas?
  • julesgill
    Options
    oooh! I like! I got a slow cooker for Christmas this past year and haven't used it for anything besides making yogurt so I have been looking for recipes. I do have a pork roast sitting in the freezer right now that I got from my dad (yay for home grown meat!!) so now I'm just trying to think of what to do with it...but I will be making it in the slow cooker. Any ideas?

2 things:
    1. how do you make yogurt in the crockpot?

2. pork roast: I made mine last night and it was amazing. I used a 2.65 lb of boneless pork loin roast. 2 cups sweet baby rays bbq sauce, 8oz black coffee, 2 tbsp worchestershire sauce and a packet of onion soup mix. Cooked on high for 4 hours (or low for 8) and shred. We had it with homemade cole slaw in low carb wraps! So so so yummy!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Minestrone soup

5 cups veggie broth

4 cups tomato juice/ or one can tom sauce

1 tbls. basil ( I use fresh chopped, from my herb garden)

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 medium carrots

2 medium celery

1 medium onion

1 cup mushrooms/ or potatoes

2 garlic cloves minced

1 can diced tomatoes, I cut up one tomato

1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta

1 can beans your choice

Put everything except noodles in crock pot for 6 hours on high, add noodles in about 30 min before serving. Enjoy!