Should I stop tracking macros?

Options
Hey guys, I need some advice! So for about 3 weeks now, I have been using MFP to track my macros, but lately I'm starting to consider other methods of healthy eating.

It seems like everyone in the health and nutrition world tracks macros these days, so when I jumped back into healthy eating recently, I figured I'd give it a try. I calculated my numbers on IIFYM and got 111 protein, 56 fat, and 137 carbs. These numbers have proven very difficult to stick to. As a vegetarian, I very rarely can manage to hit my protein goal for the day. When I do, its because I'm forcing myself to incorporate excessive amounts of protein powder and protein bars, which is expensive, unnatural, and just not fun. I often go over on my fat macros as well, because many vegetarian things that are high protein are also high fat, such as avocados and nuts. Day by day, falling short of my goals leaves me frustrated and disappointed. The high amounts of protein also leave my stomach feeling bloated and gross.

As someone who has been very interested in health and fitness my whole life, I have always cared about the foods that I put into my body. I know the choices I am making are healthy, and yet when I plug them into MFP I fall short of my goals and am disappointed nearly every day. So, I ask your advice--should I stop tracking macros (but still count calories) and just continue eating a diet whole, natural, unprocessed foods? I want to lose about 5 more pounds before April and get a bit toned on my legs, butt, and stomach. So is it better for me to just tough it out and continue doing something that always leaves me feeling bad or should I just stop worrying?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    What sources of protein have you tried? You did say vegetarian not vegan. Is yogurt an option?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    Lentil, beans and the likes have quite some protein. Quite honestly though, MFP gives me about half your protein and I hardly ever hit that as an omnivore. Why? Because I feel most satiated when I eat certain carbs. Plus too much protein causes reflux for me. But I don't have a specific muscle aim but just want to lose the last bit of vanity weight.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The way mfp is set up you can customize your macro goals . You still want to get adequate protein and fat.

So if you see a dietician consult that person for a smaller protein goal and that still meets your body's needs. Or ask your dr if your dr is up on nutrition.

Do some research on the net to find out what is a safe but more than adequate macro goal(s) for a vegetarian/vegan. And combining proteins is a good thing. For instance combining brown rice and beans.

It makes sense that not everyone's bodies are going to need the exact same macros. But you still need enough macros to stay healthy, the trick will be to find the levels that work for you. Just a suggestion would be to go slowly when you make such changes.

Google around for info and suggestions on protein needs for vegans/vegetarians. Keep a log on your changes and how you feel physically and mentally.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    kalincombs wrote: »
    Hey guys, I need some advice! So for about 3 weeks now, I have been using MFP to track my macros, but lately I'm starting to consider other methods of healthy eating.

It seems like everyone in the health and nutrition world tracks macros these days, so when I jumped back into healthy eating recently, I figured I'd give it a try. I calculated my numbers on IIFYM and got 111 protein, 56 fat, and 137 carbs. These numbers have proven very difficult to stick to. As a vegetarian, I very rarely can manage to hit my protein goal for the day. When I do, its because I'm forcing myself to incorporate excessive amounts of protein powder and protein bars, which is expensive, unnatural, and just not fun. I often go over on my fat macros as well, because many vegetarian things that are high protein are also high fat, such as avocados and nuts. Day by day, falling short of my goals leaves me frustrated and disappointed. The high amounts of protein also leave my stomach feeling bloated and gross.

As someone who has been very interested in health and fitness my whole life, I have always cared about the foods that I put into my body. I know the choices I am making are healthy, and yet when I plug them into MFP I fall short of my goals and am disappointed nearly every day. So, I ask your advice--should I stop tracking macros (but still count calories) and just continue eating a diet whole, natural, unprocessed foods? I want to lose about 5 more pounds before April and get a bit toned on my legs, butt, and stomach. So is it better for me to just tough it out and continue doing something that always leaves me feeling bad or should I just stop worrying?

So what kind f vegetarian are you? (vegan, Ovo-Lacto, Ovo, Lacto)
    How long have you been a vegetarian?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    P.S. I found the thread below very helpful. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Scroll past the mostly meaty fishy things near the top, and you'll find plant foods. It's a good way to identify ones you like that have a bit more protein.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Tracking macros can be useful (or not) in finding a sustainable, healthy diet. But one part of it is picking the macros that are right for you -- it's not one-size-fits-all, and definitely not what some website says (specifically the IIFYM website, which just applies some percentages that are often higher protein than necessary).

Some things to think about is how you like to eat and what you consider healthy.

Protein is usually the most important when losing weight -- losing weight makes muscle loss a risk, so to maintain as much muscle as possible you will want to do some kind of strength exercise and also eat around .65-.85 g of protein (or more) per lb of a healthy goal weight (or current weight if you are already in the healthy range). For me this is like 80-100 g, but I'm only 5'3.

Beyond that, fat and carbs are really personally preference -- what feels good, what tends to help you make healthy choices and have a balanced meal? Are you someone who on your own would just eat all fruit and starches (which can be healthful choices, but require some balance from fat or protein)? Or are you someone who has been trained to be suspicious of carbs (even fruit, legumes) -- assuming this is not you, it's an example. In these cases, macros can provide structure.

Different macros also might help if you have specific training goals, but that's more a matter of adjustment and the specific training needs.

I would not make yourself miserable trying to hit IIFYM macros (the website, it's not official or anything), and I'd focus on using macros as a tool to help with making healthy choices if it's useful for you.

I've found that a LOT of the people who benefit from macros are in one of two groups:

(1) Brand new to thinking about their diet and structure and have no clue where to start. This isn't you, it seems.

(2) Tends to the high-stress when it comes to diet and worrying about food choice (is it okay to have some chocolate?). Here, macros help people realize that there's not actually much meaningful difference between a potato or sweet potato, chicken or pork chop, so on, and that you can fit in more indulgent foods in an overall healthy diet. This might be you (or not, we have no idea), but it should be used to decrease stress, not increase it.

Hope that helps some.
  • kalincombs
    kalincombs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What sources of protein have you tried? You did say vegetarian not vegan. Is yogurt an option?

Yes, I have a yogurt about every day. And I eat eggs as well. Eating beans, lentils, yogurt, peanut butter, walnuts, protein powder/bars, and tons of eggs is how i usually hit my protein goal.
  • kalincombs
    kalincombs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »

So what kind f vegetarian are you? (vegan, Ovo-Lacto, Ovo, Lacto)
    How long have you been a vegetarian?

I've been veggie for a little over a year. I am technically a pure vegetarian, but often an accidental vegan. I just prefer real fruits, veggies, and nuts to dairy and such. Though lately I have been eating tons of eggs and yogurt to meet my protein goals.