Cardio before or after lifting?

Options

Replies

• jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like doing cardio after. I don’t push heavy weights, but some cardio really drains me, so I save it for last.
  • gymbunny0098
    gymbunny0098 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Defo before
  • paniz_s
    paniz_s Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Defo before

I seem to like doing my cardio before. I’ve tried listening to the comments on this board and I felt better when I did cardio before! But i guess it’s more personal preference
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    paniz_s wrote: »
    Defo before

I seem to like doing my cardio before. I’ve tried listening to the comments on this board and I felt better when I did cardio before! But i guess it’s more personal preference

I’m always interested in hearing what other people do, and the science is fascinating as well, but I’m with you on this - at the end of the day, do what you enjoy and what works for you. I’m always willing to change things up if something isn’t working or if I want a new challenge, and I do my best to stay safe and healthy of course, but ultimately the most important thing to me is that I enjoy what I’m doing enough to want to continue it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I have ALWAYS warmed up and done cardio first and then moved onto machines and free weights. Is there a significant difference in starting with cardio rather than ending it with cardio?
    I tend to do 10min of cardio and then 30-45min of lifting after. Thank you!☺️

a 10 minute warm up isn't really cardio, and you wouldn't burn much more than 80-120 calories in that little time. That said, it is typically best, if doing a hard workout, to do cardio after, that way you are not to drained to push on the weights, and risk losing form and progressing.

Thank you for this! I failed to mention it’s a 10min HIIT workout. I’m ideally doing cardio for weight loss purposes. I know diet is key, so I’ve been starting to really count my macros and work on changing up my workouts

Not sure what your intervals consists of or how you're lifting, but there's no way I'd crawl under a barbell after one of my cycling interval sessions, nor would I do them on the same day.

What kind of a lifting program are you following? I only lift 2x per week full body, but they are very intense sessions...no way I could do my intervals sessions on the same day...if I did, one or the other would suffer and I'd be so shot to *kitten* that I wouldn't do anything but lay around on the couch all day which would be kind of counter productive...

I can only do my interval work once or twice per week tops before recovery becomes an issue.

So cardio wise I sprint 9mph for 30sec then off for 30sec and I do that for 10 min.
    Then I move onto my lifting schedule. M: legs T:back &biceps W:shoulders TH: chest & triceps F:Plyo/legs S/S: rest or dance

Defo before

For the most part your second statement applies to a large group of people with a large group of workout routines. If your HIIT sprints are something you find exhaustive (we have no idea how fast you are or how hard that is for you) then doing them immediately prior to a hard lifting leg session might not be ideal. But after a brief break to recover some, you'd still have plenty of glycogen stores for your lifting.

And since you mention the cardio is primarily for weight loss purposes, consider your times and intensity involved. Ten minutes of hard intervals as you describe is still only 5 minutes of hard work. If you are primarily looking to help with your deficit, you might be better served with a longer yet less intense cardio session. Even if your sprints are really intense for your fitness level, few people will ever burn more calories doing intervals vs steady state. Even if you only continue to make that 10 minutes available, chances are you will burn more calories finding a tough pace that you can sustain for 10 minutes straight. In your case 4.5 MPH should be an easy jog for someone that can do 9 mph for brief periods.
  • paniz_s
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I have ALWAYS warmed up and done cardio first and then moved onto machines and free weights. Is there a significant difference in starting with cardio rather than ending it with cardio?

a 10 minute warm up isn't really cardio, and you wouldn't burn much more than 80-120 calories in that little time. That said, it is typically best, if doing a hard workout, to do cardio after, that way you are not to drained to push on the weights, and risk losing form and progressing.

Thank you for this! I failed to mention it’s a 10min HIIT workout. I’m ideally doing cardio for weight loss purposes. I know diet is key, so I’ve been starting to really count my macros and work on changing up my workouts

Not sure what your intervals consists of or how you're lifting, but there's no way I'd crawl under a barbell after one of my cycling interval sessions, nor would I do them on the same day.

What kind of a lifting program are you following? I only lift 2x per week full body, but they are very intense sessions...no way I could do my intervals sessions on the same day...if I did, one or the other would suffer and I'd be so shot to *kitten* that I wouldn't do anything but lay around on the couch all day which would be kind of counter productive...

I can only do my interval work once or twice per week tops before recovery becomes an issue.

So cardio wise I sprint 9mph for 30sec then off for 30sec and I do that for 10 min.
    Then I move onto my lifting schedule. M: legs T:back &biceps W:shoulders TH: chest & triceps F:Plyo/legs S/S: rest or dance

Defo before

For the most part your second statement applies to a large group of people with a large group of workout routines. If your HIIT sprints are something you find exhaustive (we have no idea how fast you are or how hard that is for you) then doing them immediately prior to a hard lifting leg session might not be ideal. But after a brief break to recover some, you'd still have plenty of glycogen stores for your lifting.

And since you mention the cardio is primarily for weight loss purposes, consider your times and intensity involved. Ten minutes of hard intervals as you describe is still only 5 minutes of hard work. If you are primarily looking to help with your deficit, you might be better served with a longer yet less intense cardio session. Even if your sprints are really intense for your fitness level, few people will ever burn more calories doing intervals vs steady state. Even if you only continue to make that 10 minutes available, chances are you will burn more calories finding a tough pace that you can sustain for 10 minutes straight. In your case 4.5 MPH should be an easy jog for someone that can do 9 mph for brief periods.

Thank you for this. I actually do realize it’s not a long time of cardio but it what I started with, so I guess I’ll add more time to it with more intensity
  • paniz_s
    Options
    Hi everyone!

You'd get far more effect from just running at a 10 min/ mile for ten minutes. Notwithstanding anything else, you'll cover more distance.

Hahah easier said than done. But I’ll definitely give it a try. I get really tired easily so sprints are easier since I get a little bit of a rest in between.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm too tired after cardio to lift so I leave it til last.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. I do 10 min warm up walk on the dreadmill with a 10-15% incline at a reasonable walking pace of 4mph.

Then I lift, I go 85% 1 rep max. Use 95% of my energy level.

Than after if I have time 20 min of Jogging. I treat it as a bonus burn.