HELP ME!!!!!

Options
Ok, everyday I am very strict on myself diet and exercise wise, limiting my calorie intake, eating healthy, etc. However every night I get the BIGGEST urge to eat something fattening, especially chocolate chip cookies. Somehow I end up succumbing to this food every night, even if I try my hardest. So I was wondering, are there any foods that will replace this craving? I think the problem is that I need something sweet at night, so if there are any healthy yet "dessert like" foods that help you steer clear of bad foods, please share, I'll greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eat fiber one 90 calorie brownies or special K cookies, they are good and have helped me.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    If your diet is otherwise on track, I'd splurge on that one cookie (just keep it to one). I'd rather eat one smallish "real" cc cookie than anything "diet". You can try to eat some fruit when you get the urge for something sweet, and if that doens't work, I'd go for the cookie. I'm not big on deprivation.
  • nilla128
    nilla128 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink hot chocolate- it's so sweet it stops the craving and I don't eat anything else.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes - they are the bomb... sweet and slushy
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of a cookie or something for dessert if I want it. I just make sure I stay within my calorie limits to allow myself a treat at night if I want it.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do what nichola does---hot chocolate. Fat free. The sugar free isn't sweet enough to kill the craving. I also drink a cup of tea in the evening sometimes with stevia or splenda. That seems to work for me. Not dessert-like, but its the sweet I crave.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I like the sugar free dark chocolate mousse cups that are 60 calories. Just eat it slowly and savor each bite.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat popcorn and .5 cup of grapes every night before bed. I would stop with the cookies and after a while the cravings will stop. If you keep feeding the habit you will never stop craving. It's all about self control.
  • thompson000
    Options
    Quaker mini rice cakes, the chocolate ones taste like coco puffs and are really sweet!
  • FutureM
    FutureM Posts: 9
    Options
    I use to have this problem ALOT. I started eating more during the day - especially lean meats, proteins, whole grains, and fats. Now, the urge to eat those things is ALOT less.

But, I know everyone needs something sweet. I buy the bags of MINI reese cups (the tiny ones that come in a zip bag) put them in the freezer and usually eat 1-3 after dinner :) It's perfect and under 50 cals.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    im an ice cream freak - and I've been "splurging" on WW raspberry dark chocolate ice cream bars! sweet, chocolaty, yummy!
  • Txfiestagirl
    Txfiestagirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat it and then track it. Or if you are like me and cannot just eat one cookie, then do not keep cookies in the house. I usually have one dark chocolate Ghiradelli square (55 calories). Since it's dark chocolate, one usually does the trick. Good luck.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i like something sweet after dinner. sometimes it's a few peices of dark chocolate. sometimes a handfull of dried mangos. last night i had cottage cheese (2T) with a handfull of blueberries. yogurt and fruit and a little whole grain cereal for a parfait is really good too - just pop it in the freezer for a few mins and it's got that ice cream feel to it.

there is a lot out there that's sweet. just make sure to stock those in the cupboard rather than the not-so-good cookies.
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love Vitamuffins Vitatops! They are like eating a chocolate brownie! Chocolate chocolate chip. And only 100 calories. They are big too.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Hershey's syrup in skim milk helps me, or, I buy 1lb (16oz) blocks of cheese and divide them into 16 1-ounce blocks before starting to eat any of it. Then if I need something at night, I head for ONE little block of cheese, and I make sure it's a flavor I enjoy, like sharp cheddar or swiss, and eat it slowly and enjoy every last little bite.

Deprivation leads to binge eating after the urges become too much for us to handle, so I don't deprive myself, I enjoy smaller portions.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    If your diet is otherwise on track, I'd splurge on that one cookie (just keep it to one). I'd rather eat one smallish "real" cc cookie than anything "diet". You can try to eat some fruit when you get the urge for something sweet, and if that doens't work, I'd go for the cookie. I'm not big on deprivation.

I'm with Michelle - if you can stick to a single cookie to end the craving it will help to nip it before it gets to large and you binge (that is what I try to do)...
    Also for me - salty will often replace the sweet craving - so sunflower seeds or almonds can help...
    Lastly - the organic section of my market has several cookies that are gluten free and surprisingly good and not bad for you - I've gotten to the point that there is a "sunflower" cookie that is quite yum (that is actually what I crave for cookies now) - it might help you :)

Hang in there, I can assure you that you aren't alone in your cravings at night as many of us go through that - I've found increasing complex carbs during the day and ensuring I have a large amount of protein at night (chicken, fish, even a protein shake) helps fight those later night cravings as I stay fuller - longer...

Let me know if we can help in any way!
    C.J.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop buying foods like that and stock up on fruits and nuts.
    Next, drink tons of water when you get the urge!
  • jrn1115
    jrn1115 Posts: 35
    Options
    First of all, stop buying foods like that and stock up on fruits and nuts.
    Next, drink tons of water when you get the urge!

trust me i wouldn't buy them, but i've been staying at my aunts and she buys them for my cousin the chocoholic. thanks for all the tips guys, i'll try the tea one later tonight, i could use a nice hot cup of tea