Tattoo Day Spin off - meaning of tattoo

Options
2»

Replies

• cpck1
    cpck1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a star on each wrist one has a smaller pink star inside representing my daughter and the other has a green star representing my son. They love them and when we go places they insist that they hold the correct hands. I also have a heart with wings on my lower back - no meaning i was rebeling. lol My latest and favorite is the one in my pic. The stars start at my hip and end right under my arm. I am considering extending them both over my shoulder somehow and down around my hip bone. I got these when i was going through my divorce. It was kind of a freedom thing.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a Polynesian tribal-style dolphin on my right shoulder blade. My husband and I both got Polynesian tattoos while on our honeymoon in Moorea (small island closest to Tahiti in French Polynesia). I've always loved tribal tattoos, so I figured if I was going to get one, I should do it in Polynesia where this style originated.

My husband got a band around his left arm with a bald eagle embedded in it (multiple meanings - he simply really likes the birds, likes them as an American symbol, and he loves the Philadelphia Eagles). I got a stylized dolphin on my right shoulder blade.

In Polynesian symbolism, dolphins are a symbol of wisdom (I was working on finishing my Ph.D. at the time, so it seemed fitting), but dolphins are also very curious and playful - I like it as a reminder to never take life so seriously that I forget to enjoy it :smile:
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a pinup girl on my arm. It means....I like girls? LOL
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I love wolves so that was my first tattoo, I have many more to come though
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've got 4. Two of them are just because they're pretty, a man in the moon on the upper part of my boob, and a fairy on my lower back. (A tramp stamp if you will but, I had it loooooong before they were called that so I say I started the trend) The two with meaning for me are the EMT star of life with a beautiful blue wreath around it underneath my knee on the side of my leg, because I worked in emergency medicine for many years and plan on going back, I have two Chinese charactors on my right wrist they represent pleasure and promise. My husband has the matching tattoo on his left arm. This means we promise to make each other happy forever. When a friend saw them and asked about them and we told him he said, "So what, is that like a sex thing?" Um well none of your bidness, ya perve! But we've been married for 24 years so we're doing something right, right?

I want my next tattoo to reflect my daughters, so I know I want a monkey who plays hockey for my 14 yo, but my 21 yo is a little harder but I think it's going to be some version of a princess, cuz she is!
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have three...two have no meaning, just got something I thought was pretty.
    I have a kanji for joy on my ankle.
    I lost my best friend, Joy, 4-5-02. No one knows why. She just died in her sleep one night. Even the autopsy just says her heart stopped. Her parents had a very hard time dealing with the loss (as you can imagine), and took about 6 years to put a headstone on her grave. This drove me nuts, just going to a spot in the grass...nothing to mark where she was. It sucked, and didn't help with whatever closure I thought I needed. So I got the kanji that represents her name to help me with that.
    I still miss her every day. Every time I look at the tattoo, I think about her silly giggle and wonder what her life would be like now.

My next tattoo is the word "love" written in my mother's handwriting on the inside of my left wrist.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Mine is for my father. He passed away on 12-31-05. I got this tattoo three weeks ago. My first car was a 68 Mustang we rebuilt together. I have two others but this is my favorite.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    My first tattoo is a swirly, tribally looking chain around my right ankle that I had the tattooist adapt from a doodle I made. Because I was young and silly and just liked the way it looked (still do).
    Next I got a small anarchy symbol (in my hand writing) on the inside of my left wrist for my punk rock ties as well as a reminder to myself to always live by my rules. Then I got a peace sign the same size (also in my hand writing) on the inside of my right wrist, to show the balance of my nature, because truly I'm a punk-rock hippie :)
    Next on the small of my back I got a tattoo of a drawing I did of an Om symbol with the John Lennon lyrics "We all shine on" wrapping around it (also in my handwriting)- as a tribute to my favorite musician and principles and beliefs I choose to live by.
    And lastly, between my shoulder blades I have a drawing I did of a slightly cartoonish swirly ivy vine. This is in reference to my love of nature and plants (vines being one of my very favorites), as well as a nod to my great-grandmother, whose name was Ivy.