A question about Mio and your opinions?!

So I’m the throw of person who doesn’t really drink water unless I’m working out. But I’m trying to drink more throughout the day to keep my water weight off and feel more full. Will Mio do this? What are y’alls thoughts on Mio? I have a bunch of them but I don’t want to keep using them if all it’s going to do is make me keep the water weight on! Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    You are more likely to retain water if you are dehydrated, so if you're drinking more water then you wouldn't necessarily keep more water weight as a result.

Also you're trying to lose fat not water.
  • latentspring
    latentspring Posts: 27 Member
    -drink mio or whatever makes you hit your water / pee color goals
    -alternatively, watch sodium content if water weight / bloating is an issue for you that heavily impacts your self image
    -???
    -profit
  • jesslynchxo817
    jesslynchxo817 Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks for the insight! I just know the more water you drink the less water you will retain and the better and more full you will feel!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    My only issue with Mio is that it aggravates my reflux.

Otherwise, water is water, regardless what is dissolved in it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Mio works. There’s even Mio Sport.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2018
    I would just drink when I'm thirsty unless you have some specific medical concern or issue that you aren't sharing. But if you feel drinking more will help you feel fuller, it's worth a try. If Mio makes it easier for you to drink that water, why not?

My husband found that Mio caused stomach upset for him when he consumed a lot of it, but I don't think this is something to worry about unless it happens to you.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    JoeR2424 wrote: »
    I'd research the artificial sweetener(Sucralose), which is what Mio is sweetened with. I personally switched from Mio to Stur, which is sweetened with Stevia.

Is there something inherently better about Stevia, or worse about Sucralose? I drink a fair bit of these water enhancers...
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I love Mio! I don't think I'll ever be a plain water drinker, except in occasions where I'm reaaaally thirsty. I prefer tea or Mio.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Stevia is fairly new, and was discovered as an extract from a plant. I personally find it gives a lasting “tingle” to my tastebuds so I mask it with cinnamon.

Sucralose has been around a lot longer and is more extensively studied.

Both are GRAS.
  • jesslynchxo817
    jesslynchxo817 Posts: 24 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'd try to change your mentality regarding water weight. It will come. It will go. Based on a 100 factors, many of which you can't control. Try to accept that water weight is a thing and it's always going to be a thing... then shift your focus to body fat. Not always an easy thing to do, I know... but doing so will help you in the long run.

True! I just know that it's hard for me to not think about "is that water weight or fat gain?" especially since I use a lot of salt (which I know is bad lol, but I LOVE it, just switched to the Pink sea salt!) I just wanna try to flush it out as much as possible! thanks for everyones help!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Mio will not make you "keep on water weight".

That said understand that there is another word for "keeping on water weight", it is called being hydrated. That is a good thing, not sure why people want to avoid it just because it makes their scale go up. Choosing to do things in your diet that drop water weight is just actively trying to become dehydrated which isn't going to do you any favors health-wise. Fat weight matters, water weight does not.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I'd try to change your mentality regarding water weight. It will come. It will go. Based on a 100 factors, many of which you can't control. Try to accept that water weight is a thing and it's always going to be a thing... then shift your focus to body fat. Not always an easy thing to do, I know... but doing so will help you in the long run.

True! I just know that it's hard for me to not think about "is that water weight or fat gain?" especially since I use a lot of salt (which I know is bad lol, but I LOVE it, just switched to the Pink sea salt!) I just wanna try to flush it out as much as possible! thanks for everyones help!

But if your diet is heavy in salt (or whatever other factors you think are adding to it), then that degree of water weight is going to be fairly consistent. If you alter something to impact water weight, you're kind of cheating your numbers, aren't you? And what happens when you stop doing whatever it is you did to drop that water weight?
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member

simple rule, day to day weight fluctuations are water weight and over a week or longer is probably fat.
    if you weigh 2lbs more tomorrow than you did today you 100% know thats water not fat, you didnt gain 2lbs of fat over night.

as said above, you need to stop over thinking the water weight, drink to thirst and stick to your calorie goals and over a period of time you will lose fat.
    also you may find drinking more dont make you feel fuller, some people do, some dont, but at the end of the day there is actually nothing you can do about weight changed due to water retention
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member

If you think it's fat gain, do the math. So say you see a 3lb bump one day. Figure out what approximately your TDEE was for that day - lets say it was 2200 and you accurately tracked 1800, but in that 1800 you had more salt than usual. Or maybe you accurately tracked 1800, but it's about to be your TOM. For that bump to be fat, you would have to have eaten 2200 PLUS 10,500 calories.

Drink to thirst, look at long term trends, eat whatever salt tastes good to you, don't worry so much about what you can't control, and watch long term trends. The proof is in the pudding.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    I'm MIO-er and it does help me stay hydrated. But I'll be honest, I'm trying to find something else. In general, I'm not a fan of the weird additives in MIO, Crystal Light, etc. I've been trying to brew strong flavored organic teas and chill it as a concentrate to use throughout the week. No luck with good tasting brew yet but I'm still working on it.