Anxiety at gym

Options
I really want to go to the gym to gain confidence and tone up my body and lose abit of extra flab I have going however I have extreme anxiety I’m scared to even go outside most of the time because I always feel judged by others or people are staring/talking about me and the gym scares me so much because it will be full of fit and healthy people while I’m fat and will be red and out of breath. I try to exercise at home but I have an evil older brother who always taunts and bullies me for it and even makes videos of me to laugh at. I really want to try and overcome my fear anyway by going to the gym but every time I attempt to go I will end up standing outside for ages too scared to go inside so I just want advice from others who suffer like this and what they did to overcome there fear and go to the gym I also have an extreme fear of men I don’t know why but I find it difficult to be around men or for men to look at me so I would also like advice on how to possibly avoid men in the gym or what will make me less noticeable if that makes any sense

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had fears about going to the gym, I also thought it would be full of super fit and healthy people who would judge me. I ended up going with a friend and realized that everyone there was at a different stage in their path to fitness and that made me feel so much better! Some were just starting, some have probably been going there awhile, every one was at a different stage. I also realized that everyone there is focused on their own workouts, and really don't care about what others are doing! You can also see if your gym has classes, and maybe take one of those first instead of going straight to the machines which can be intimidating. Some classes like zumba will most likely be mainly women if that helps!

I don't know. People don't usually make mean comments at the gym. They only once did to me, but it is very uncomfortable when you are beyond "normal" overweight. I am 270 lbs and work out at home. It is uncomfortable to go to the gym. I think I will start going once I get a little smaller and am not so big.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way! Can you hire a trainer, even for one session? I did a few sessions with a trainer and it gave me a lot of confidence going in. I felt like at least I looked like I knew what I was doing haha! Plus he became a friendly face around the gym!
    As far as what's going on in the gym- everyone is pretty focused on themselves and they won't be paying attention to you, I promise! Any interaction with others has always been positive....a quick "I see how hard you're working" or "keep it up"!
    Maybe try a class first? At my gym the classes are primarily full of women. You can stand in the back to blend in. They are no pressure, walk out whenever you want.
    Lastly, maybe just baby steps. Day one, go in and ask them to show you around... Day two, 10 minutes of exercise....ect...until you feel ready!
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your schedule is, maybe you can find a 24 hour gym and go during the dead times. Like 4 am, when nobody is there. That will give you a chance to workout with very little human interaction. Working out really helps build confidence and I think as you make progress and get more comfortable with the environment, you'll start to feel comfortable going in at different times. I had similar anxiety, and that's what I had to do at first, because I was so scared. Now, I can go anytime I want and have even started running outside in the street, which is something I never ever thought I would be brave enough to do.

Choosing a gym with the right culture for you is also really important. When you go to sign up, ask for a tour, so you can look around and see what it's like, what the patrons are like, etc. I just joined a crossfit-based gym, which I never thought I would because I think crossfit culture is ridiculous lmao. But the good thing is that cross fitters are very focused, so it is a gym where everyone (including the men) minds their own business and leaves you alone, which is perfect. So don't be afraid to shop around. If you just can't get comfortable in one place, try another one. It gets a bad rap, but I was a Planet Fitness member for a while, and it was great for getting started with the gym. It was just normal looking people, trying to get fit, so it was easier to get comfortable and feel less self-conscious.

Lastly, remember that you are paying to be at the gym, so every time you don't go in, you are wasting your money. Don't waste your money! Even if you just go in and walk for 10 minutes on the treadmill, you have not wasted your money, and that's great. You got this, and can do it!
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, and honestly still am to a degree. What really helped me was getting a friend (or in this case my aunt) and joining a beginners class together. We got to learn the equipment and have a really amazing trainer who specializes in helping people who are over weight, have physical limitations, or who are just really nervous about being at the gym.

I used rec centres as they are cheaper.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    What your brother is doing is *kitten* up. Stay away from him as much as possible.Get away from him as soon as you can.

As far as the gym, the only way to get over your fear is to cobfront ot head kn, and acclimatize yourself to it. Go for as few as 10 minutes a day at first. Go in, use a machine that looks familiar and just use it for 5-10 minutes, change and go home. Keep doing that until you are comfortable using tbat machine and dealing with being in the gym at all, and them pick something else there to get uses to. Keep up the pattern until the gym becomes a refuge, rather than a scary place.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I felt awkward at the gym at first, but realize that almost no one is looking at you. Everyone's into their own thing.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Do you have any friends who go to them gym? Perhaps you could go with them for a few visits till you get yourself on track.
    Or what about walking outside? It's super wintery here but I really enjoy bundling up and getting fresh air. If I walk fast enough I can get pretty sweaty. And it helps me sleep well.

Please do something for exercise. It will give you so much more confidence. Your health and happiness are very important.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First of all, good on you for deciding to make a change and get healthier for yourself! The first couple of visits to the gym can be intimidating, but once you get your routine down, you'll feel a lot more comfortable. Some things that helped me in the past (I can be super shy in unfamiliar situations):

-Find a time of day when it's quiet, either early morning or later in the evening, if those would work for you.
    -Try a class - stand near the back if you feel more comfortable there, and just follow along as best you can. It's hard for everyone, especially at first, so don't worry about feeling self-conscious!
    -Many gyms offer a free session or two with a trainer when you first join, which might help you to focus your goals and learn proper techniques.
    -Find a gym buddy to go with you.

Most of all, just give it a try! Most people are so focused on themselves that they don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing, and a lot of people are genuinely friendly and happy to encourage others. The benefits for your health and outlook will be worth it. Also, improved strength and fitness will help you to kick your brother's *kitten* ;)
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    One thing I learned you can try that I learned in therapy groups is go for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes if you are still and anxious you can leave but keep going back. Eventually you will stay longer. Anyone can do anything for 10 minutes. I used to drag myself to square dance groups and other stuff when I was extremely anxious. It is worth a shot. Gyms really aren't bad. I went to a bunch of different ones throughout my life. Most people are there to work on themselves. There will be some bigger than you probably and some smaller. Don't let that stop you from becoming the person you want to be.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are feeling this way. Is there a friend you can go with? If not, are there personalized training sessions offered at one of the local gyms? Perhaps doing a workout or two with a pro showing you how to effectively work the equipment will build confidence? I have been there, thinking everyone was judging me and later I realized that no one could give a rat's *kitten* about me....they were too focused on their own goals. I promise that after a few sessions your confidence will skyrocket.

If this is anxiety beyond just the gym, is there someone you can speak to professionally?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Most people at the gym started at square one, I know I did. The only advantage I've got at this point is that I've been going for over 10 years. That also means a few things: I'm mostly focused on doing my own thing, I understand where you are at, if you need help ask (really, 98% of us are nice people).

I hit the gym at 4 am and we have everything from the guys that could lift a semi to the bigger guys just starting out and we all cheer each other on. The bigger guys show up and hit the track to walk and do what they can and we encourage them because we know that is the first step of many. The huge guy causes a small earthquake setting a new PR and we encourage him because we know the struggle is just as hard.

Yes there are a few Bros here and there that are annoying but don't let them ruin it for you. Most people at the gym are nice, will encourage you, and are generally in and out without realizing what is going on around them (especially at 4am, I swear I'm done working out before my brain realizes that I've even started).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I really want to go to the gym to gain confidence and tone up my body and lose abit of extra flab I have going however I have extreme anxiety I’m scared to even go outside most of the time because I always feel judged by others or people are staring/talking about me and the gym scares me so much because it will be full of fit and healthy people while I’m fat and will be red and out of breath. I try to exercise at home but I have an evil older brother who always taunts and bullies me for it and even makes videos of me to laugh at. I really want to try and overcome my fear anyway by going to the gym but every time I attempt to go I will end up standing outside for ages too scared to go inside so I just want advice from others who suffer like this and what they did to overcome there fear and go to the gym I also have an extreme fear of men I don’t know why but I find it difficult to be around men or for men to look at me so I would also like advice on how to possibly avoid men in the gym or what will make me less noticeable if that makes any sense

I've been in and out of gyms for much of my life..while there are fit and healthy people in the gym, I'd say the vast majority are actually in the, "trying to get fit and healthy boat." Beyond that, the fit and healthy one's started somewhere...and many of them started as overweight noobs too.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [1] People are generally only focused on themselves. Oftentimes, in a hurry to churn out their own routines and get out of there.
    [2] Depending on your goals, the gym isn't necessary. If you are going for the purpose of getting cardio (rather than strength training) in and hate/fear/dread the gym, I would suggest finding something more pleasant. Buy a bike, find a walking/running/snowshoeing/etc route(s) you like,...
    [3] Plan out exactly what you intend to do once in there. Having clear purpose/plan will probably help a bit with the anxiety.
  • BillEgbert
    BillEgbert Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all the comments above. Nine months ago, I had never set foot in a gym in my life. I had many ideas of what I would encounter and they were all wrong! Now I am at the gym 5 times per week (3 times with my wonderful trainer). Every single person I have encountered at my gym has been an inspiration to me. We all start our journey somewhere and you will be surprised how supportive the gym environment really is. You are stronger than you think you are!!