Depression after dieting since June

Options
Hello, this is kind of a touchy subject I know. But I started dieting back in June of 2017, I started out doing a ketogenic diet for 2 months and then switched to just counting calories. I've been pretty much persistently dieting since June, besides a few cheat days every now and then.

I've noticed that I started developing some symptoms of depression in October, but nothing really terrible. Thought it was stress from hurricane Irma (I live in Florida and it turned the whole state upside down) Now I'm in Febuary and the depression has been creeping up, creeping up and the past couple of weeks, I've felt very emotional (I'm not an emotional person) and have actually felt the deep depression. I am a former Douglas High School student and had a bit of a bomb dropped on me days before the shooting as well, so I'm not sure if the 2 events have just really gotten to me and magnified the symptoms. I also got a new puppy in January, so my sleep schedule is all kind of messed up and I have the stress of a new puppy.

I've gone through bouts of depression in the past and I've noticed that I seem to get it when I've been dieting for an extended period of time, one of the reasons why I didn't want to start a diet back up, but I had to because the weight was getting out of control. I've lost 45 lbs since June. Started at 215 and now I'm weighing 168. But right about now, I have no appetite, I have to force myself to eat. Even if I could eat junk food or food that I didn't have to prepare myself. I can't even bother to nuke a microwave dinner.

Is it possible that the depression could be linked to the weight loss or dieting or both? I'm on an antidepressant already, but haven't changed the dose in years.

Replies

• Becca22618
    Becca22618 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure if there is a link, but it sounds like an idea worth exploring with a professional who does know <3
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    eating at a deficit can mess with your hormones. many people find that taking a maintenance break - about 2 weeks at least - can help to replenish leptin and decrease cortisol which helps to level you out. i incorporate diet breaks and find that if they're structured and scheduled it's not difficult to get back to a deficit most of the time once i've completed the break. i will do 2 weeks at my calculated maintenance calories - 10%. i actually find that i usually lose during the breaks but nothing significant.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mssarah87 wrote: »
    Hello, this is kind of a touchy subject I know. But I started dieting back in June of 2017, I started out doing a ketogenic diet for 2 months and then switched to just counting calories. I've been pretty much persistently dieting since June, besides a few cheat days every now and then.

I've noticed that I started developing some symptoms of depression in October, but nothing really terrible. Thought it was stress from hurricane Irma (I live in Florida and it turned the whole state upside down) Now I'm in Febuary and the depression has been creeping up, creeping up and the past couple of weeks, I've felt very emotional (I'm not an emotional person) and have actually felt the deep depression. I am a former Douglas High School student and had a bit of a bomb dropped on me days before the shooting as well, so I'm not sure if the 2 events have just really gotten to me and magnified the symptoms. I also got a new puppy in January, so my sleep schedule is all kind of messed up and I have the stress of a new puppy.

I've gone through bouts of depression in the past and I've noticed that I seem to get it when I've been dieting for an extended period of time, one of the reasons why I didn't want to start a diet back up, but I had to because the weight was getting out of control. I've lost 45 lbs since June. Started at 215 and now I'm weighing 168. But right about now, I have no appetite, I have to force myself to eat. Even if I could eat junk food or food that I didn't have to prepare myself. I can't even bother to nuke a microwave dinner.

Is it possible that the depression could be linked to the weight loss or dieting or both? I'm on an antidepressant already, but haven't changed the dose in years.

If you've been mostly in a calorie deficit since last June, you might want to look at taking a diet break. Check out this thread for some insights - I found it extremely helpful when I was struggling. Hugs!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Losing weight shouldn't have that effect - we take in and store and expend energy every day in maintenance too - but eating too little or unbalanced is unhealthy, and just feeling deprived or restricted, can make you feel resentful, unhappy, depressed. Unresolved stress can make you feel depressed, being unhappy about your weight can make you depressed. You already have a depression diagnosis, so you're more vulnerable. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about dosage or changing medication and/or alternative (talk) treatment?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me it's a bit linked to dieting, but because I had to give up on so many things I love (or restrict them too much) if I don't want to gain the weight back. Being someone who loves food, it's been hard.

But sometimes it's just life too. And yeah, puppies kill your sleep schedule and you might want to try to go to bed earlier (mine hasn't let me sleep past 7am once since I got her almost a year ago, and 7am is a rare treat). My first puppy had me in tears almost every day because he was SO MUCH WORK too, so that might not help (it gets better).

I mean, sometimes depression is hormonal, sometimes it's situational, and I'm not sure your meds can help with that one (that's how it started for me in my 20s).