5 weeks dieting and exercising, no weight lost. HELP!

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    DId you end up weighing all your food for a few days and figure out if it was contributing or not? I thought about this thread when I read this today...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41494897#Comment_41494897
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie I didn't read everyone's posts but from my personal experience iv already lost over 10 pounds on 2 weeks. Add me and see if you want. But I'm not strict with my food I prep as much as I can but having a hectic schedule I loose a lot of time to eat when I should. I just make sure my protein is at least where I need it to be m. Super stupid simple. If I don't eat it then I drink it with shakes ., n I don't do any cardio done I'm injured. Went from 235 to 219 this morning in 16 days and I'm still building and recommissioning. Hasn't slowed down yet.. even just today ate Buffalo Wild Wings and drink beers and I bet I'm a pound lighter tomorrow morning. I would say what you doing for workouts.. cardio is ok if you trying to looks skinny fat but if I had to pick. Staying active and doing hiit workouts kills that or just the stair master..

skinny fat is what happens when you lose too fast(too high of a deficit) because you also lose lean mass. it has nothing to do with cardio or anything else. the only thing that prevents you from becoming skinny fat is not losing weight too quickly,getting enough protein and doing resistance/weight training to minimize the amount of lean mass being lost. if you lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and just started much of it will be water weight at first. The more you lose the slower it will get because your body wont have the fat stores to lose it quickly unless you are really aggressive with a deficit in which isnt healthy in the long run. also the less you weigh the less calories your body needs to sustain that new weight. The last 10-20 for most are the hardest and take the longest to lose.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    renee8865 wrote: »
    I injured my back on Friday, boooo. I was supposed to go workout after work, but I had to cancel my session at Orange Theory. I woke up yesterday and couldn’t get myself out of bed. The nerve in my back was pinched so badly that my left leg had gone weak. Today it still hurts pretty badly, but I was able to get up and move around a bit. If I turn my shoulders too much to the right, I feel a sharp pain in my back. So I’m sitting and walking like a crooked old lady. My intake yesterday was pretty poor but I’m trying to get some foods prepped today while I’m feeling up to it.

eat at maintenance or just a tad under until you heal. rest as your body needs it.have you seen a dr yet? if its that bad you need to see a dr to make sure that once you are feeling better its not something that will get worse with exercise.but again you dont need exercise for weight loss. you just need a deficit. but when injured its usually better to eat around maintenance to let your body heal.
  • renee8865
    renee8865 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    DId you end up weighing all your food for a few days and figure out if it was contributing or not? I thought about this thread when I read this today...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41494897#Comment_41494897

Yes, I've been weighing my food every day except yesterday. Hasn't seemed to help :(
  • renee8865
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I injured my back on Friday, boooo. I was supposed to go workout after work, but I had to cancel my session at Orange Theory. I woke up yesterday and couldn’t get myself out of bed. The nerve in my back was pinched so badly that my left leg had gone weak. Today it still hurts pretty badly, but I was able to get up and move around a bit. If I turn my shoulders too much to the right, I feel a sharp pain in my back. So I’m sitting and walking like a crooked old lady. My intake yesterday was pretty poor but I’m trying to get some foods prepped today while I’m feeling up to it.

eat at maintenance or just a tad under until you heal. rest as your body needs it.have you seen a dr yet? if its that bad you need to see a dr to make sure that once you are feeling better its not something that will get worse with exercise.but again you dont need exercise for weight loss. you just need a deficit. but when injured its usually better to eat around maintenance to let your body heal.

I don't know why, but I was down slightly despite laying in bed all day recuperating. My intake was poor (choice wise) but it may have ended up being less than 1400 overall calories. Yesterday I had to go back to work even though my back was still hurting, but unfortunately I had no food prepared. I tried to start getting some prepped yesterday, but I just didn't get to it. So, I got oatmeal at Starbucks and put half of the fruit and nut packet, none of the syrups or sugar, and a splash of nonfat milk. I estimated it ended up being around 240 at the most. I got a chicken greek salad and split that between lunch and dinner. I asked if the veggies came pre-tossed in any dressings or oil, nope. So I added no dressing, just a quick drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. The rest was romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, a small amount of feta cheese, and chicken. I have no idea of how many calories it was, but it my mind it seemed healthy and though I couldn't pack my food, I felt certain I didn't go over 1400 calories. Woke up a pound heavier so now I have no clue. And these past few weeks I've noticed my stomach feels upset a lot. I thought it was certain foods, so I cut them out, but it persists. I also feel bloated quite a lot, drinking my 70-80 oz of water doesn't seem to help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yes, I've been weighing my food every day except yesterday. Hasn't seemed to help :(

a few days is still too early to tell.weigh fluctuates so it will take time to tell. its not going to just start falling off(i wish). give it a few weeks and see.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I don't know why, but I was down slightly despite laying in bed all day recuperating. My intake was poor (choice wise) but it may have ended up being less than 1400 overall calories. Yesterday I had to go back to work even though my back was still hurting, but unfortunately I had no food prepared. I tried to start getting some prepped yesterday, but I just didn't get to it. So, I got oatmeal at Starbucks and put half of the fruit and nut packet, none of the syrups or sugar, and a splash of nonfat milk. I estimated it ended up being around 240 at the most. I got a chicken greek salad and split that between lunch and dinner. I asked if the veggies came pre-tossed in any dressings or oil, nope. So I added no dressing, just a quick drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. The rest was romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, a small amount of feta cheese, and chicken. I have no idea of how many calories it was, but it my mind it seemed healthy and though I couldn't pack my food, I felt certain I didn't go over 1400 calories. Woke up a pound heavier so now I have no clue. And these past few weeks I've noticed my stomach feels upset a lot. I thought it was certain foods, so I cut them out, but it persists. I also feel bloated quite a lot, drinking my 70-80 oz of water doesn't seem to help.

a 1/2 cup of oatmeal itself is 150 calories.an oz of nuts is about the same so there is 300 there. not sure how much fruit or what kind. feta cheese can be 396 calories for a cup(150g). olive oil per tablespoon is 119 calories(may vary a bit between brands). you may not have went over 1400 calories. but weight can go up the next day especially if you had very little food the day you didnt eat much. weight fluctuates my weight is up 4/10 of a lb because I ate more carbs yesterday than the previous day so with that you get water retention.

your body also has an injury so there is probably some water retention and inflammation from that. that could mask weight loss too. but give it time a few days mean nothing, you have to look at the picture long term. if you are having stomach issues then you definitely need to make a drs appt as soon as you can. it may just be a virus going around but it could be food allergies or intolerances or something else.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ugh it cut off my comment. your weight could be up due to inflammation and water retention from your injury or it could be up because you ate more than you did the previous day. weight fluctuates day to day,hr to hr. so give it time and see what happens. a couple of weeks to a month and you should start seeing something happen with your weight if you weigh everything.

But for what you ate, oatmeal itself for a half cup is 150 calories. nuts for an oz is around 150 calories. so theres 300. a tbsp of oil is about 120 calories. feta cheese for a cup(150g) is almost 400 calories. chicken can be a calorie bomb depending on how much was in the salad. you may have eaten less than 1400 you may not have but its just one day. my weight is up today due to eating more carbs yesterday which I know is normal. just give it time and weigh everything if you cant always estimate higher than normal.give it a few weeks to a month and see what happens.

If you are having stomach issues see a dr. I mean it could be a stomach virus but it could be food allergies,intolerances or something else. if its not better in a few days or gets worse seek help.bloating can be from being partially constipated or if you overdid it on fiber and arent used to it. if that becomes painful or you have other issues see a dr as soon as you can.
  • renee8865
    Options
    I was trying to estimate much higher than normal now. I looked up the calorie guide for starbucks oatmeal and counted it as if I had put the entire nut medley packet in. To give you an idea, I know their counts are probably off but I didn’t even eat half of the packet. I doubt it was 150 calories. The slivers I ate were 4-5 almonds worth. And it definitely wasn’t anywhere near a cup of feta. Holy cheese! My estimate, being extra generous would be a half cup at most. It was sprinkled on top. Chicken, gauging by my fist size was around 10-12 oz spread across two meals. When I can’t measure or weigh, I usually estimate 1.5-2x what I think it is just to be safe. Anyway, who cares, doesn’t matter haha. Keep on going. I made an apt with my dr but it’s not for a few weeks because of my stupid schedule.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what your panels say. Your measurements are almost spot on the same as mine (I'm an inch taller and 5-6 lbs heavier). I'm losing at 1600 (powerlifting 3x per week) if I'm accurate.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I was trying to estimate much higher than normal now. I looked up the calorie guide for starbucks oatmeal and counted it as if I had put the entire nut medley packet in. To give you an idea, I know their counts are probably off but I didn’t even eat half of the packet. I doubt it was 150 calories. The slivers I ate were 4-5 almonds worth. And it definitely wasn’t anywhere near a cup of feta. Holy cheese! My estimate, being extra generous would be a half cup at most. It was sprinkled on top. Chicken, gauging by my fist size was around 10-12 oz spread across two meals. When I can’t measure or weigh, I usually estimate 1.5-2x what I think it is just to be safe. Anyway, who cares, doesn’t matter haha. Keep on going. I made an apt with my dr but it’s not for a few weeks because of my stupid schedule.

yeah well hope goes well with the drs appt and let us know what they say(I know the results take awhile to come back). but yeah it was one day so I wouldnt worry about it
  • renee8865
    Options
    I'd like to know what your panels say. Your measurements are almost spot on the same as mine (I'm an inch taller and 5-6 lbs heavier). I'm losing at 1600 (powerlifting 3x per week) if I'm accurate.

My panels?

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

My panels?

blood panels(results of the blood tests and other tests)
  • renee8865
    Options

My panels?

Oh, duh haha! Yes, I'll share as soon as I get results back. I'm eager to know as well. And good reminder that inflammation can cause water retention. I'm not sure what is going on with my stomach, but I added it to the list of things to check. Today I didn't have gluten, but my stomach is still upset. Tomorrow I'm going to try no dairy. Going to do a little process of elimination to see if I can figure out what it is before I see my doctor.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

My panels?

Oh, duh haha! Yes, I'll share as soon as I get results back. I'm eager to know as well. And good reminder that inflammation can cause water retention. I'm not sure what is going on with my stomach, but I added it to the list of things to check. Today I didn't have gluten, but my stomach is still upset. Tomorrow I'm going to try no dairy. Going to do a little process of elimination to see if I can figure out what it is before I see my doctor.

thing with eliminating things from your diet is to eliminate them one at a time,wait a month and then slowly reintroduce it. a few days may or may not work. this way you are sure if the offending food is causing the issue.then take another food out and try that for awhile and then repeat. I too have stomach issues some days certain things bother me and other days they dont. there for awhile locust bean gum in things caused me stomach issues and caused my throat to swell a bit. now it doesnt bother me.

some people have issues with guar gum, or carrageenan which is a food "filler". check labels and try a different product without those things and see if that makes a difference,Im not saying that is your issue but its worth checking out. I also cannot eat eggs anymore. it used to be just certain brands but now the only way I eat them or can eat them is in macaroni salad or in say baked goods. otherwise I cant eat them,weird I know.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

My panels?

It takes at least two weeks of being completely free of an irritant before your stomach will start to feel better and heal. That's why gluten exposure is so terrible for celiacs... it's not just for that day, being "sick" can last for two weeks!
  • renee8865
    Options

My panels?

thing with eliminating things from your diet is to eliminate them one at a time,wait a month and then slowly reintroduce it. a few days may or may not work. this way you are sure if the offending food is causing the issue.then take another food out and try that for awhile and then repeat. I too have stomach issues some days certain things bother me and other days they dont. there for awhile locust bean gum in things caused me stomach issues and caused my throat to swell a bit. now it doesnt bother me.

some people have issues with guar gum, or carrageenan which is a food "filler". check labels and try a different product without those things and see if that makes a difference,Im not saying that is your issue but its worth checking out. I also cannot eat eggs anymore. it used to be just certain brands but now the only way I eat them or can eat them is in macaroni salad or in say baked goods. otherwise I cant eat them,weird I know.

I'm not sure what potential triggers to focus on. I already knew dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, but yogurt hadn't bothered me as much as liquid dairy so I thought it was safe. You don't think it'd work to slowly eliminate things over a couple weeks, wait a couple more weeks, and then introduce them one by one? Because otherwise I'll be testing out foods for a year haha! Today my stomach has been cramping all day, it's faint but obnoxious. It's not close enough to that time of the month and I generally don't cramp then either, so I'm pretty sure it's food related.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

My panels?

I'm not sure what potential triggers to focus on. I already knew dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, but yogurt hadn't bothered me as much as liquid dairy so I thought it was safe. You don't think it'd work to slowly eliminate things over a couple weeks, wait a couple more weeks, and then introduce them one by one? Because otherwise I'll be testing out foods for a year haha! Today my stomach has been cramping all day, it's faint but obnoxious. It's not close enough to that time of the month and I generally don't cramp then either, so I'm pretty sure it's food related.

period like cramps could be non food related. if you elimanate a food slowly over a couple of weeks and wait a couple more weeks and then introduce them one by one that is a months time.(a couple is 2 so). I am having issues with cramping when its not my time of the month, I have a uterine fibroid and saw a gyno who wants me to get a colonoscopy to rule out bowel issues,besides the issues a fibroid can cause.. im going to be 44 and bowel issues run in my family. They do have non dairy yogurts you could try.
  • renee8865
    Options

My panels?

period like cramps could be non food related. if you elimanate a food slowly over a couple of weeks and wait a couple more weeks and then introduce them one by one that is a months time.(a couple is 2 so). I am having issues with cramping when its not my time of the month, I have a uterine fibroid and saw a gyno who wants me to get a colonoscopy to rule out bowel issues,besides the issues a fibroid can cause.. im going to be 44 and bowel issues run in my family. They do have non dairy yogurts you could try.

Oh, haha, I know. But I'm kind of hooked on greek yogurt, I don't like the thin consistency of coconut, soy, and almond yogurts. First world problems.