Snowshoeing

Options
Hi everyone! I have a quick question I’m hoping you all can help me with. I just spent about 2 hours snowshoeing. Totally fun, btw. My question is: should I log it as separate exercise even though my FitBit tracked my steps? Would it be double dipping, considering the steps are already counted?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's counted in your steps. Hope you had fun!
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    also depends, did you wallow through waist deep snow? or were you on a trenched out path?
  • Frenchgrad
    Frenchgrad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It's counted in your steps. Hope you had fun!

Yeah, I had that feeling. Thanks!
    also depends, did you wallow through waist deep snow? or were you on a trenched out path?

Definitely not waist deep. There’s a big snowstorm right now and I was out in it, but I was following a snowed over paved trail.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lucky you, fresh snow! I like to go off trail and make fresh tracks when I can, it seems like more work, so I imagine, or hope, I'm burning more calories. We're in desperate need of snow at the moment here in Vermont, so yeah, lucky you.......have fun!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That's way harder than just "stepping," but I wouldn't know how to account for it!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    MFP Has an entry for it.
    nnbo1hp3yda4.png

It's close to cals burnt running for me.
  • Frenchgrad
    Frenchgrad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MFP Has an entry for it.
    nnbo1hp3yda4.png

It's close to cals burnt running for me.

I believe that! I was so completely starving when I got home that day that I made dinner right away. I didn’t log anything in addition to my steps. It looked like I got about 10k just from snowshoeing, so I ended up with a ton of “extra” calories. I was so tired that I fell asleep on the couch before I could eat them all, lol!

It was definitely strenuous, mostly because of the fresh snow; but my friend & I were also going at a pretty quick pace. The snowstorm dumped about 6 inches on us; so combined with the snowfall we got last Thursday, about a foot fell in 2 days. This week we’re gonna have 40s, so a lot of it will melt.