Gym Motivation!

Options
So I really need to get myself motivated for the gym, this cold weather makes it too easy to just say no.
Does anyone have any kick *kitten* way of self motivating? Or ways of motivating others?

Replies

• Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I've struggled with this all through winter. Indoor means changing out of warm clothes at 5am into chilly lycra & outside means mud, cold, wind & the extra bonus of having to wash my doggy companions off after every walk. A hot latte beside the radiator is much more appealing.

Except, that won't help me meet my goals & I can enjoy that after I've completed my workout. It's much more rewarding afterwards!

In either workout I warm up quickly & 9/10 enjoy it too. It's like getting out of bed for work on a cold morning, really. You don't want to, but if you want/need rewards from your day then theres no option.

On the tough tough days I look at my board. It's not a motivation board because I really don't think I've had any of that since the very beginning. It's more a collection of achievements so far(like the decreasing numbers from coat hangers & my too big wedding ring that I need to get resized when I hit goal), things I'd like for the future & folk I admire. I prop it up in my eyeline (either when dressing for the cold or changing/during an indoor workout). I also look at my progress pics to remind myself how far I've come & that if I want to continue, I need to keep at it.

l5w8dzx813pv.jpg

That's some of the ways I've pulled myself through, hope you can find something that helps you!
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I go straight from work to avoid temptation of planting myself on the sofa :D
  • vikiwx
    vikiwx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    like the decreasing numbers from the coat hangers

I love this idea!
    I have a motivational board, not just for fitness but for life goals in general, never thought of this idea, definitely doing this!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Do you have a regular time? When is it easiest to go?

Example- I was on a six day routine. I changed my day off to Tuesday from Sunday. It was easy to go on Sunday. Tuesday, after work was harder. Fixed 1 day.

Set a regular time and really work hard to get there for 2-3 weeks. You’ll start getting agitated if you miss.

After you have your time slot staked out, plan an at home backup. If you live in a bad winter climate, there are going to be bad days. You can find at home routines on YouTube. I had an old stationary bike. Once workout time is in place you need to have a way to make it impossible to fill it with couch time.

Instead of kicking kitten to the gym try to negotiate with yourself. Some days I had to make deal where I would go, but back off my routine. Something is better than nothing.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Maybe an external goal, like a race? I signed up for an 8K race in March, so I have to get to the gym to train or I won't be ready.

Go to the gym at your favorite time to make it easier; I like to go in the morning, and sometimes I'll pack my clothes the night before.

Also, it's getting warmer every day!!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Work out at home! I started doing it in January and it’s so much easier...and less time consuming, because you don’t have to go anywhere, park, checkin, store your stuff. Lots of free workout videos and also pay for stuff is way less than most monthly gym dues!
  • bey02
    bey02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Having a gym buddy really helps as you don’t want to cancel on that person or let them down!
  • vikiwx
    vikiwx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Work out at home! I started doing it in January and it’s so much easier...and less time consuming, because you don’t have to go anywhere, park, checkin, store your stuff. Lots of free workout videos and also pay for stuff is way less than most monthly gym dues!

Which fitness DVD's would you recommend, I have Joe Wicks' and I like that one?
    I used to have a home gym, which I loved, rower, cross trainer, bike and weights, but moved and sadly no room for all of it now.