Unsure Fitbit calorie adjustment

Options
So today I have done 30min arm workout, 30min leg workout, 20min cardio/weight combo and T25 cardio as well as 10k (17k including workouts) steps mfp has given me 1100 exercise "points" can this be right that would mean my net for today is only around 500 Cal's? But I time all my workouts right before a meal or snack so I'm eating right after and am not going hungry

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    As I believe has been discussed in your other threads, you are far more active than you think you are, so therefore the info you put in MFP probably underestimates your calorie burn and FitBit is trying to true that up with the actual activity you are engaging in. Why are you exercising so much? Is this a normal day, or an isolated incident? How many calories does FitBit say you burn, on average, over the last week, month, three months (however long you've been using it)? What calorie goal does MFP have you set at? What results are you having - losing, maintaining or gaining?

This^^^ and yeah, why the incessant exercise?

I don't really look at individual events or activities on my FitBit, but it gives me a pretty accurate estimate of total calories burned at around 2800-3000 which is in line with all of my other data...some outliers here and there.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Do you normally hit upwards of 10k steps without purposeful exercise? It may be helpful to re-evaluate your activity level. Seems like that is the first place to start.

For example, I used to keep my MFP set at "sedentary" because some days at work I pretty much sat, and some days I ran and it seemed safest to do things that way. Then, I got my fitbit and found that it was not uncommon for me to workout in the morning, and then end up running my kiester off at work, and then on days I walked my dog (at least 2, usually 3+ miles), I ended up with some pretty big adjustments - right about where you're seeing.

I went back in my fitbit data and found that on my lazy weekend days where I was doing nothing but picking up the house, cooking, and hanging with the fam, I got at least 4,000 steps. So I upped my activity to lightly active because work is a crap shoot - could be running for 8 hours, could be twiddling my fingers. I still see adjustments sometimes but they aren't as crazy, and I have more calories to eat.

If you really think your activity level is right, only eat back half that number. Track your progress for 4-6 weeks. That will tell you if your data is correct.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    All my walking is purposeful exercise i don't work and I don't think just over 90min is "excersising so much" I know people who spend hours at the gym. I've only had my Fitbit since 17th Feb it says between the 19th-25 I burned 17094. I'm on 1400 calories per day and I'm not sure on my rate of loss as I weigh daily and it's up and down like a to yo at the minute I was 12.9 yesterday I'm 12.66 today don't think I lost 3lb overnight
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Is a 41% daily caloric deficit appropriate for you? Any reason you're trying to lose so fast?

An appropriate deficit for an obese person might be as high as 25%. For a non morbidly obese person a 20% deficit might make more sense and ensure that less lean mass gets lost, that energy and compliance stay high, and that hormonal counter-balancing is minimized.

You can connect trendweight.com to fitbit.com and it will automatically receive your weigh ins when you enter them into your Fitbit account. This will allow you to focus on your over-all trend, especially when dealing with highly variable weight ins and would allow you to figure out your current weight loss rate (trending weight on day 1 vs trending weight on day 28 or 35 or 42, i.e. four to six weeks).

Based on your description, if we were to try and shoehorn your activity and exercise into an MFP activity setting instead of relying on your Fitbit adjustment, you would be exceeding MFP's very active level.
  • angelsja
    Options
    But mfp asks you to select a setting before excersise without my excersise Iam sedentary. Don't know where you are getting 41% from :/ please explain I have until June 9th to lose the initial weight then August 19th to lose the rest I use libra to track my weight but honestly don't really get it :/
  • angelsja
    Options
    Just checked libra and I've lost 7.4lb since the 15th of January
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    But mfp asks you to select a setting before excersise without my excersise Iam sedentary. Don't know where you are getting 41% from :/ please explain I have until June 9th to lose the initial weight then August 19th to lose the rest I use libra to track my weight but honestly don't really get it :/

You are correct.

MFP asks you to ADD YOUR EXERCISE SEPARATELY AND EAT BACK the actual net exercise calories that you burn because your complete deficit is included in your base goal.

But you are NOT doing that.

You did not log and eat back the (net) calories for your various exercise classes and for your purposeful walking for exercise that was done over and above daily activity... did you?

And, truthfully speaking, when you're using a Fitbit to estimate your daily activity level (which is what you're doing) you shouldn't log exercise on MFP because what you're doing is actually changing MFP's original setup and you are converting MFP's separate logging of a base activity level to which you then add purposeful exercise into a single value that represents your "complete daily activity as evaluated by Fitbit", aka: "Fitbit TDEE".

Because that is what the "exercise adjustment" you get from your Fitbit does. It converts your MFP calories out value into the calories out value detected by your Fitbit.

Thus, you are replacing the MFP sedentary activity setting that you chose with what your Fitbit actually detected as your TDEE

And in order to achieve that you have to adjust the base MFP value that is derived from what you told MFP you expect your activity to be (sedentary). Thus you get an exercise adjustment that gets added to the Sedentary MFP setting such that the total at midnight is equal to your Fitbit TDEE at midnight.

Earlier you stated that your Fitbit gave you a daily TDEE value of 2442 (17094/7) and that you eat 1400 Calories.

This means that you are shooting for a 1042/2442 = ~42% daily caloric deficit. A normal moderate deficit with minimal side effects peaks at 20%, maybe 25% while the person is obese.
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For 17000 steps I get about a 1500 calorie adjustment and I eat all of it.
  • angelsja
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You are correct.

MFP asks you to ADD YOUR EXERCISE SEPARATELY AND EAT BACK the actual net exercise calories that you burn because your complete deficit is included in your base goal.

But you are NOT doing that.

You did not log and eat back the (net) calories for your various exercise classes and for your purposeful walking for exercise that was done over and above daily activity... did you?

And, truthfully speaking, when you're using a Fitbit to estimate your daily activity level (which is what you're doing) you shouldn't log exercise on MFP because what you're doing is actually changing MFP's original setup and you are converting MFP's separate logging of a base activity level to which you then add purposeful exercise into a single value that represents your "complete daily activity as evaluated by Fitbit", aka: "Fitbit TDEE".

Because that is what the "exercise adjustment" you get from your Fitbit does. It converts your MFP calories out value into the calories out value detected by your Fitbit.

Thus, you are replacing the MFP sedentary activity setting that you chose with what your Fitbit actually detected as your TDEE

And in order to achieve that you have to adjust the base MFP value that is derived from what you told MFP you expect your activity to be (sedentary). Thus you get an exercise adjustment that gets added to the Sedentary MFP setting such that the total at midnight is equal to your Fitbit TDEE at midnight.

Earlier you stated that your Fitbit gave you a daily TDEE value of 2442 (17094/7) and that you eat 1400 Calories.

This means that you are shooting for a 1042/2442 = ~42% daily caloric deficit. A normal moderate deficit with minimal side effects peaks at 20%, maybe 25% while the person is obese.

No I didn't log the excersise because my Fitbit sends my calories burned to mfp and you just said I shouldn't add in exercise when using a fitbit I didn't eat excersise calories back as 1 I don't know if I can trust the burn and 2 I plan my workouts around my meals and snacks so I'm already eating a full meal or snack (at night excersise) after working out
  • angelsja
    Options
    If I was to eat my Fitbit calories - 500 I would be eating between 1900-2000 calories or more and how am I supposed to know in advance how much I'm going to burn in a day my last excersise is around 7-8pm I don't like eating after 9pm so what happens if I've a bunch of calories left a the end of the day the burn I mentioned in the OP was the first time I've had such a high burn and as I haven't had my Fitbit very long I'm still getting used to it I wasn't trying to "blame" or "use what you said" at all I'm just trying to get it right and I've only lost average of 1.2 lb a week since 15th January not eating any exercise calories back
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss isn't on par with the numbers. I'm guessing you're eating way more than you think, but your weight loss rate is healthy, so keep doing what you're doing.
  • angelsja
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had a couple of binge days and put on a couple of lbs that I re lost in that time too. I weigh and log everything
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If I was to eat my Fitbit calories - 500 I would be eating between 1900-2000 calories or more and how am I supposed to know in advance how much I'm going to burn in a day my last excersise is around 7-8pm I don't like eating after 9pm so what happens if I've a bunch of calories left a the end of the day the burn I mentioned in the OP was the first time I've had such a high burn and as I haven't had my Fitbit very long I'm still getting used to it I wasn't trying to "blame" or "use what you said" at all I'm just trying to get it right and I've only lost average of 1.2 lb a week since 15th January not eating any exercise calories back

If you finish one day in a large deficit, plan to make it up the following day. Eat a big breakfast; eat two breakfasts.

But I agree with this:
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Your weight loss isn't on par with the numbers. I'm guessing you're eating way more than you think, but your weight loss rate is healthy, so keep doing what you're doing.

Do you log your binges? Measure/weigh all your portions? Our brains are incredibly good at preventing us from starving ourselves; it’s really hard to override all its tricks to eat in the kind of deficit you’re describing.
  • angelsja
    Options
    Yes I logged my binges I ate over 12k calories in one weekend I only got my Fitbit on 17th so it could still be "getting to know me" my diary is open anyway
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Yes I logged my binges I ate over 12k calories in one weekend I only got my Fitbit on 17th so it could still be "getting to know me" my diary is open anyway

Okay, well that 12000 spread over the week would account for your uneaten exercise calories pretty well. So you are eating them back; you’re just doing it all at once and without control.

If you ate those calories in healthy, satisfying foods throughout the week would you be less likely to binge on the weekend? If so, there’s your answer; if not maybe it’s time to talk with a professional about your eating patterns.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

But you do know how much you are going to burn, you have a couple weeks worth of data that suggests your average calorie burn is 2400, so the calorie target you should be aiming for is 1900. As Pav said, do that for a few weeks, monitor the results and adjust based on what actually happens with your true weight trend (not knee jerk reactions to normal weight fluctuations).

As has been explained - you are majoring in the minors. You need to establish a trend over time, some days you may be a little over, some days you may be a little under - but consistency and repeatability (precision) is more important than to the decimal point accuracy.

Why are you timing all your meals around a workout? Again, following PAVs advice, increasing your activity level to a more representative amount would help you prepare your calorie intake. I have a desk job which according to MFP makes me Sedentary but I average 12-15k steps a day so my activity level is set to active. That gives me a higher baseline to start with and then smaller adjustments which makes it easier to plan my calorie intake for the day. Negative calorie adjustments ensure that you don’t over eat on days you have a truly Sedentary day - skip a workout, etc.

• angelsja
    Options
    No because if that was so I wouldn't have put on weight I would have lost or at least maintained
  • angelsja
    edited February 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

But you do know how much you are going to burn, you have a couple weeks worth of data that suggests your average calorie burn is 2400, so the calorie target you should be aiming for is 1900. As Pav said, do that for a few weeks, monitor the results and adjust based on what actually happens with your true weight trend (not knee jerk reactions to normal weight fluctuations).

As has been explained - you are majoring in the minors. You need to establish a trend over time, some days you may be a little over, some days you may be a little under - but consistency and repeatability (precision) is more important than to the decimal point accuracy.

Why are you timing all your meals around a workout? Again, following PAVs advice, increasing your activity level to a more representative amount would help you prepare your calorie intake. I have a desk job which according to MFP makes me Sedentary but I average 12-15k steps a day so my activity level is set to active. That gives me a higher baseline to start with and then smaller adjustments which makes it easier to plan my calorie intake for the day. Negative calorie adjustments ensure that you don’t over eat on days you have a truly Sedentary day - skip a workout, etc.

Because I can't workout on a full stomach and that's just how my day falls get up do school run/walk dogs, home breakfast wait an hour or so workout, lunch pick kids up have evening meal, workout at 7 have snack chill and bed. And I've only had my Fitbit for 9 full days