Lower Carb diet

Options
I would like my daily calories to be lower in carbs. Not sure of the percentages regarding Fat, Protein and Carbs. If I lower the carbs what should protein and fat be? I know it should equal 100%.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want. Add to one, the other, or both.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Whatever you feel comfortable with. What % are you aiming for with carbs?
  • Anvasilak
    Anvasilak Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would like to do low carbs but not to extreme. Not sure what percent. I don't feel very well after cutting out carbs but it does work. So I thought just lowering carb percentage would help my weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Anvasilak wrote: »
    I would like to do low carbs but not to extreme. Not sure what percent. I don't feel very well after cutting out carbs but it does work. So I thought just lowering carb percentage would help my weight.
    What do you mean by "it works"? Eating less (fewer calories) for a long, long time is what makes you lose weight (fat). Eating less carbs makes you lose (additional) water weight initially.
  • stephenhenning
    stephenhenning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I set my carbs at 10%, fat at 60%, and protein at 30% to get into ketosis. I'd recommend doing some reading on the ketogenic diet, it feels great once you're there, but the process of cutting carbs can cause a dip in electrolytes called "keto flu" which might be why you don't feel well after cutting. Definitely helps losing weight, but feels counter-intuitive since it's a high fat diet.
  • Anvasilak
    Options
    Thank you. This information was extremely helpful. 10% carbs would be how many net carbs per day? So I will be drinking water with electrolytes to see how that helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This information was extremely helpful. 10% carbs would be how many net carbs per day? So I will be drinking water with electrolytes to see how that helps.

That would depend on how many calories you're eating. It's pretty low. Not lower, but low. I'm going to suggest that you need to do a lot more research before diving your carbs down to 10%. I'm not saying don't do It, just saying you need to know more about what you're doing, how, and why. (instead of going off the first post of a stranger on the internet and following that)
  • Anvasilak
    Options
    Thank you
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

If you don't feel well after cutting out carbs then I wouldn't recommend low carb.

What do you mean by "it works"? You can absolutely lose weight/fat while maintaining a diet high in carbs, all it takes is a calorie deficit.

Low carb diets often eliminate a lot of higher calorie foods, foods people enjoy eating, and junky type snacks, so by default will help lose weight but it's often not the carbs itself it's just the fact that you can't eat as much of what you normally would! Also if you don't feel good doing it it will not be sustainable either.