How to help start toning without gaining muscle weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I don't look worse. I was a size 24 and now I am a 6. I look soooooo much better in comparison. But that's the thing. I don't have a size 6 Karen who has more muscle to compare to. All I know Is the thinner I get the better I look. I am taking you guy's word for it about muscle building.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yah maybe. I know. Just worried about losing momentum and I really want to make it to my goal which is 135. Right now I am 148 and 5.6.

Don't get stuck on a number...Meet Stacy:

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, Staci is 11 pounds heavier (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

progress-713x566.jpg

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/female-powerlifters-meet-staci-ardison/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can set other goals besides the scale. Running faster or farther, getting stronger, smaller body measurements...Also, lifting weights while in a deficit will not make you gain weight. It will help you preserve the muscle you have and make you stronger. Once you hit goal weight, eat at maintenance and lift. You might be able to gain a little muscle and lose fat, but it takes a lot of work. You don't just accidentally gain muscle.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    People always say muscle burns more calories. Is that true? Building muscle will pay off in the end because the weight will come off faster? I dunno. I know being toned makes you look better.

A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day. A pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day. So if you lost 10 pounds of fat and put on 10 pounds of muscle (which would be a very significant accomplishment), you'd be burning 40 more calories per day.

So yes, it's true. But it's hardly significant.

Just a question @AnvilHead ... is this at rest or including exercise? Just wondering if actually using my muscles will make a difference.

This is increases your RMR. Using your muscles will increase your caloric burn yes.

^ Yes, this. Those figures are for RMR. Muscle is more metabolically "expensive" - three times as much, by those figures - but when you look at the actual numbers, it doesn't make anywhere near as big a difference as some people claim.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You're not building muscle.

If you were. Sell me your secret for building significant muscle mass in a deficit so then I can then sell it to all manners of athletes. I will own the fitness industry. A legal way to induce a constant hypertrophic response. I'll never work again.

You're gaining definition due to loss of total body fat. If you're losing weight whilst in a deficit how exactly would it be possible to gain weight from muscle growth?

Unless you're taking a trenbolone clembuteral cocktail that you'd like to share with the group.

Keep eating in a deficit. You'll reach your goals in time.