Waking up in the middle of the night just to eat?!!!

Options
Hi guys, I've recently started this weird habit of just waking up in the night to scoff down something. It's not even anything special that's tempting...last night was a slice of bread with butter :/
Does this happen to anyone else? Did you find a solution for it? I would appreciate any help because it cuts into my calories for the next day and just puts me in a bit of a bad mood :'(

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat more during the day. Otherwise, wake up, drink a HUGE glass of water and go back to bed. I've heard of people waking up to eat but it's never happened to me so I don't have much advice.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? Is it 1200? Did you choose, when you set up your MFP, to lose 2 lbs per week?

Maybe switch to 1 lb per week and eat more calories during the day. See if that fixes it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I read a study on what ( I ) think this happens to people. Now forgive me, it was done on rats, the brain goes into food seeking mode in a deficit. Also, as long as body fat stays below its set point. Basically, the body is starving and wants nutrition. Now this is just a theory, it was noted in rats. Rats tend to be used as a proxy for humans, but it is a mammalian study. I hope this helps understand why it happens. Best wishes.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Wow.... woo's for stating some subjective info along with some research I read. Heck... I can't win! Lol
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Happened to me last week. 6 frozen waffles later..... I lowered my deficit and started eating more of my exercise calories back.
  • owl879
    owl879 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! I'll increase my calories a bit since that seems the most popular answer. I'm just a bit worried that even though I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, I'm only 5 foot so going over 1200 calories won't help me with weight loss.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Sorry for the rather long winded info earlier. Just wanted to let you know that you were not alone or weak willed. That i think it has/does happen to most of us and that I believe there is some biology to it. Best wishes and nourish yourself well with all that exercise.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    owl879 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great replies! I'll increase my calories a bit since that seems the most popular answer. I'm just a bit worried that even though I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, I'm only 5 foot so going over 1200 calories won't help me with weight loss.

I upped to working out 5 times a week and that's when I started night eating (twice so far). I really do think you'll find that you either need to work out a little bit less or eat a little bit more.
  • owl879
    owl879 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Sorry for the rather long winded info earlier. Just wanted to let you know that you were not alone or weak willed. That i think it has/does happen to most of us and that I believe there is some biology to it. Best wishes and nourish yourself well with all that exercise.

Don't be sorry I appreciated it!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I've never done this, but have had urges to eat when I was eating most of my calories during the day. I've been eating 90 percent of my calories right before bed for years now and have never had urges anymore
  • psychod787
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do tend to eat more of my macros at night. That has helped me. While I have not binged yet, I have found myself staring mindlessly in the fridge at night almost craving calorie dense foods like bread and butter. Also, very food focused these days, even at what I think is a small surplus. I hope with a slight uptick in weight and bf might help. Much love people!
  • vanilla_frosting
    vanilla_frosting Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do this and have for years, even before my weight loss journey. Not every night but often. I want something sweet so bad. I asked my doctor if my blood sugar was getting low and my body was telling me to do something about it. According to him, it could be...

I just make myself a 1/2 PB & J or grab a small piece of chocolate. Then I can go back to sleep.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    owl879 wrote: »

Do you eat back any of those exercise calories?
  • stacithomas22
    stacithomas22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done this as well. Sometimes I can resist the urge to eat in the middle of the night and sometimes I cannot. One thing I have noticed that if I can save some calories to have closer to bed time, that seems to help not wake up in the middle of the night and raid the cabinet. I have been making a little PB2 with water, mixing it with a cut up banana and a splash of honey. It's so yummy, the perfect sweet treat and protein/carb combo is very satisfying. Good luck!
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    Im 5ft 2 and was put on a 1.450 calorie diet, which personally i think is too much i always end up eating around 1.2000 calories. I also tend to get hungry in the middle of the night but i drink water and the cravings go away. I always crave carbs lol