Waking up in the middle of the night just to eat?!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have done this, but not really because I'm hungry. Its more I wake up to pee or something and then I'm like man I'd love a PB sandwich. I'm a PB addict. I'd eat it for every meal all the time if I could and still be reasonably healthy but I figure getting some greens in there somewhere is probably a good idea from a nutritional perspective. So for me its not a calorie deficit thing, just a I'm awake and the craving hits so I do it. That being said, I add it to the next days calorie intake and move on. Happened last night actually.
  • owl879
    owl879 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    owl879 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great replies! I'll increase my calories a bit since that seems the most popular answer. I'm just a bit worried that even though I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, I'm only 5 foot so going over 1200 calories won't help me with weight loss.

Do you eat back any of those exercise calories?

No because I don't think my work out is intense enough to make up a significant deficit.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! I'll increase my calories a bit since that seems the most popular answer. I'm just a bit worried that even though I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, I'm only 5 foot so going over 1200 calories won't help me with weight loss.

No because I don't think my work out is intense enough to make up a significant deficit.

This might be your problem. Eat back ~50% of them and see how you fare.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

What's your workout?
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of muscle? I have about 100-150 calories of casein protein just before sleep. And you're not peeing when you wake up?
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to do that before I started MFP. For me it was just a bad habit. Couldn’t go back to sleep, so I just wanted to eat.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I've recently started this weird habit of just waking up in the night to scoff down something. It's not even anything special that's tempting...last night was a slice of bread with butter :/
    Does this happen to anyone else? Did you find a solution for it? I would appreciate any help because it cuts into my calories for the next day and just puts me in a bit of a bad mood :'(

Nope! I finish my dinner and desert around 8PM, and with the exception of (drinking) water, I don't eat anything else until breakfast the next morning, between 8 and 9AM. I don't feel hungry after dinner or during the night, just sleepy.

Make sure that your dinners are fulfilling and that you balance your protein and fats.
  • grammagrape
    grammagrape Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Sorry for the rather long winded info earlier. Just wanted to let you know that you were not alone or weak willed. That i think it has/does happen to most of us and that I believe there is some biology to it. Best wishes and nourish yourself well with all that exercise.

Absolutely there's some biology to it..we've been evolving for 200,000 years as homo sapiens and 2 MILLION years as hominids. We are programmed over that long evolution to seek food, store food, expend as few calories as possible, and to ratchet into survival mode if we go on deficit. Imagine taking 2 million years to evolve food survival skills, and only in the last 50 years to try to undo those 2 million years. The trick is tricking our bodies and our thousands and thousands of years of evolution. Never go too low with your calories because your body..for its survival..has evolved the skills of slowing down its metabolism to burn less, while increasing your cravings to get you to eat.
    Its seen in all animals, not just humans. Ask any cat owner- Cat food with poor protein levels keep the cat eating and eating and eating (and eating) while it tries to get the proper nutrition it needs, so the cat gets fat because its on a nutritional deficit and not getting enough protein. Humans do exactly the same. So begin with protein every time. There is an ideal but narrow calorie window in which you lose weight but not so low that you trigger starvation mode. Yo-yo dieting is a no-no, since it it makes your calories too low so that your body responds you into gaining it all back while slowing your metabolism, every time. Crash diets fail for the same reason, your body slows its metabolic rate down when you go too low, and when you go off the diet, your evolution forces binge cravings and gain it all back. Absolutely biology.

Get enough protein first, and keep your calories JUST under break-even, and it will curve your carb cravings and midnight raids without kicking you into starvation mode, so that your weight loss lasts.

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Apparently Hilary Swank used to wake up in the middle of the night just to eat while training for Million Dollar Baby.

And because I pretty much idolize her body here:
    amf97tx0yxbn.jpg
    c7bh6p8xbfmv.jpg
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the rather long winded info earlier. Just wanted to let you know that you were not alone or weak willed. That i think it has/does happen to most of us and that I believe there is some biology to it. Best wishes and nourish yourself well with all that exercise.

Absolutely there's some biology to it..we've been evolving for 200,000 years as homo sapiens and 2 MILLION years as hominids. We are programmed over that long evolution to seek food, store food, expend as few calories as possible, and to ratchet into survival mode if we go on deficit. Imagine taking 2 million years to evolve food survival skills, and only in the last 50 years to try to undo those 2 million years. The trick is tricking our bodies and our thousands and thousands of years of evolution. Never go too low with your calories because your body..for its survival..has evolved the skills of slowing down its metabolism to burn less, while increasing your cravings to get you to eat.
    Its seen in all animals, not just humans. Ask any cat owner- Cat food with poor protein levels keep the cat eating and eating and eating (and eating) while it tries to get the proper nutrition it needs, so the cat gets fat because its on a nutritional deficit and not getting enough protein. Humans do exactly the same. So begin with protein every time. There is an ideal but narrow calorie window in which you lose weight but not so low that you trigger starvation mode. Yo-yo dieting is a no-no, since it it makes your calories too low so that your body responds you into gaining it all back while slowing your metabolism, every time. Crash diets fail for the same reason, your body slows its metabolic rate down when you go too low, and when you go off the diet, your evolution forces binge cravings and gain it all back. Absolutely biology.

Get enough protein first, and keep your calories JUST under break-even, and it will curve your carb cravings and midnight raids without kicking you into starvation mode, so that your weight loss lasts.

Wow... woo's as well for you. I hope the person who is doing it will post their ideas.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Wow... woo's as well for you. I hope the person who is doing it will post their ideas.

There are lots of people on the site who think "woo" means "woo-hoo!" (good for you!) I'm in a team competition and whenever somebody does something good, a few people insist on clicking the woo button to celebrate it. LOL. So maybe it's just someone praising everyone? :/