High Cholesterol and Other Things

Options
Hi people! I have been using the My Fitness Pal app on my phone of an on but this time I am super dedicated to using it every day because I have high cholesterol. My cholesterol is 243 and mostly LDL (bad) cholesterol. Now, other than my high cholesterol I am very healthy and have been eating super healthy lately but I used to eat horribly. I got really depressed during my sophomore year in high school. I ate a lot of sweets, dairy and gluten. My body does not tolerate gluten and dairy these days (I am almost 25) and my knees swell badly when I eat gluten and dairy. Therefore I steer clear of anything with gluten and dairy. As far as weight goes I have been over 200 pounds since 2010. Believe it or not, I did not have any health issues but I got blood test done and my cholesterol is now atrocious. People used to give me a lot of nasty comments based on my size. I am a size 20 in jeans. I always lose weight in my hips, legs and a little bit of weight in my waist. I wear a 2x or 3x in women's tops depending on what I'm wearing. I take an XL in men's shirts in hoodies. I think this is because I'm chesty. I have always been chesty. I got breast reduction surgery a few years back and am still chesty. Another woman told me, "I'd be embarrassed wear a size 3x, that's really freaking huge!" Then I got told by her that guys are going to call me porky and no guy is going to want me. I have had four boyfriends over the years who treated me very well. I am very confident and comfortable with my clothing size. I even know all of my measurements by heart. 47" bust, 44" waist and 50" in hips (I wanted to be a plus sized model until I got told that I'm not emotionally and physically ready to be a model by another woman). High cholesterol runs in my dad's family and I am on medications that are notorious for cholesterol issues that I can't stop taking (I have epilepsy, autism and depression). The gym, my treadmill and Wii Fit have been great coping skills.

Sorry for the long post

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you want to improve your cholesterol numbers, you'll need to lose weight and exercise. That's 2 things, not one thing. There are some natural sort of statins like red rice yeast which you might find to be helpful.

Do this up right and you can change your plan, and instead desire to be a proper sized model.
  • acetrainer67
    acetrainer67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want to improve your cholesterol numbers, you'll need to lose weight and exercise. That's 2 things, not one thing. There are some natural sort of statins like red rice yeast which you might find to be helpful.

Do this up right and you can change your plan, and instead desire to be a proper sized model.

My weight goes up and down between the 230s 240s and 250s. I consume less than 2,000 calories and I hate processed, junk and even fried food and fast food. The last time I was "skinny" was in elementary school. I also cycle, walk on the treadmill at a speed of 2.0 or 1.8, do yoga and Wii Fit. I used to jog and plan on getting back into it. I do all of this and yet I never go below the 200 pounds range.

What do you mean a "proper" sized model? Even my doctor wants me to lose 50 to 60 pounds which would put me at 207 (if 50) or 197 (if 60). I asked my dietitian if I needed to be 106 or below pounds to be physically fit and she said no and have attainable goals.....like the ones my doctor mentioned.

• pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I dropped my cholesterol from 6.1 to 4.8 in 44 days by reducing the amount of meat, butter, cheese and chocolate I eat. I've also cut out all processed meat, pastry and biscuits and cut back on alcohol. I've increased fruit, vegetables, oats and oily fish.

Are you logging and weighing your food? That will help you track exactly what you are eating (taking care to pick the correct entries from the food database!) and you should see a drop.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hereditary cholesterol wont be reduced by changing dietary factors-not enough to make a difference for most unless your diet is full of cholesterol. Read up on that. My diet is low in red meat and dairy and my LDL was 199. Thanks, Dad. I need to drop lbs and become regularly active- but even then (Trying!) statins are in my future.

Get a food scale- log every bite- log exercise and eat back 50% of those calories. Re-evaluate in 4 weeks. ***YOU GOT THIS!!!!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My doctor recommended a low carbohydrate diet for reducing LDL. It may improve autism too, according to some studies. :+1:
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Hereditary cholesterol wont be reduced by changing dietary factors-not enough to make a difference for most unless your diet is full of cholesterol. Read up on that. My diet is low in red meat and dairy and my LDL was 199. Thanks, Dad. I need to drop lbs and become regularly active- but even then (Trying!) statins are in my future.

Get a food scale- log every bite- log exercise and eat back 50% of those calories. Re-evaluate in 4 weeks. ***YOU GOT THIS!!!!!

This sucks!