Desk job

Anyone have any good ideas for exercise ideas while sitting behind a desk all day??? I work full time during the day and full time college at night. I don't get a lot of time to work out. I try and get up a couple of times a day at work but I have so much work to do I don't always have the time to walk for ten minutes.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Treadmill desk.

Park away from class on campus.

Exercise ball chair.

Make the time to walk: it may well improve mental clarity so that you can work more efficiently.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Make all or part of your commute active (walk, bike).

If possible, make meetings walking meetings.

Take a walk during your lunch break (if you have one).
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    The idea I'm implementing is to make every break an excuse to get up and move. 15 minute break? I take a quick walk, up and down the stairs. Lunch? I take a 15 minute walk (if I can). Etc. I just find every excuse I can to move. AND I try to get up every hour or so, even just to walk to the bathroom and pretend to pee. ROFL
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    If you drink a lot of water at your desk, the frequent bathroom trips add up throughout the day. Get up every so often to at least stretch and move around. It's better than not doing anything. Take a walk after lunch to get some activity and sunshine. Park farther to get in extra walking to/from work or class. Do short high intensity bodyweight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, squats/lunges) at home before dinner, which can be as short as 5-10 min.

These are all viable options to balance the sedentary hours between a desk job and school.
  • Frmgroundup
    Frmgroundup Posts: 2 Member
    Get a resistance band and use throughout the day.
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Get a resistance band and use throughout the day.

Yes, I agree with the resistance band during the day when you can.
    I try to use this as much as can for a shoulder injury I have.
  • jennabun101
    jennabun101 Posts: 54 Member
    I also have an office job. I take the long way to the copier, boss's office, restroom... and do laps around the conference room table or parking lot on lunch.

Hadn't thought about the resistance band.. good idea!
  • Thank you all.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    You may find that two 10 minute walks a day may actually make you more productive. The increase in blood flow and stepping away from your work for a bit should actually boost your energy and concentration. Otherwise, take the scenic route to the bathroom, stand up whenever you can, wander around while waiting on copies, do isometric exercises while you sit, like glut squeezes.
  • anubis609 wrote: »
    If you drink a lot of water at your desk, the frequent bathroom trips add up throughout the day. Get up every so often to at least stretch and move around. It's better than not doing anything. Take a walk after lunch to get some activity and sunshine. Park farther to get in extra walking to/from work or class. Do short high intensity bodyweight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, squats/lunges) at home before dinner, which can be as short as 5-10 min.

These are all viable options to balance the sedentary hours between a desk job and school.

I do drink a lot of water, so I go to the bathroom a lot. I walk down the stairs and up about 6 times a day and park away and walk as much as possible just not getting as much as I need . When I take my lunch I am normally doing homework.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    I barely move at work, I get it. Restroom isn't that far, the whole place, that I can go into, isn't very big. When the weather is OK I can walk outside. Mainly I'm a slug a work. I'm not comfortable enough to pull out bands, etc. at my open area desk.

I workout at home in the AM before starting my day.
  • nancybuss wrote: »
    I barely move at work, I get it. Restroom isn't that far, the whole place, that I can go into, isn't very big. When the weather is OK I can walk outside. Mainly I'm a slug a work. I'm not comfortable enough to pull out bands, etc. at my open area desk.

I workout at home in the AM before starting my day.

I need to do the same and feel the same way at work. I just can't get going in the mornings . I end up over sleeping from studying at night.