Whole Earth Natural Sweet - feel weird after consuming

Options
I'm usually a purist, but trying to expand my options...so yesterday, I tried some Whole Earth Nature Sweet.

Omg, I can't be sure there's a link, but I couldn't sleep, my legs felt cold, and today my brain is mush.

If I use stevia powder, it's usually on solid foods (quinoa, oats, etc.) and I seem to do okay. In a liquid, however it does something similar to above.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any low-cal sweeteners that are less...questionable?

Thanks!

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand Stevia liquid. There's a couple varieties of Stevia that I end up seeing - sometimes it's Stevia, sometimes it's Stevia Leaf Extract. I often end up with a gross aftertaste, so I just avoid most anything with Stevia.

Swerve is a really good no calorie sweetener in my opinion. Like @Cherimoose I also use Sucralose. Swerve leaves a bit of a cool feeling in my mouth - not overly bad, just different. Sucralose I don't have issues with.

~Lyssa
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried every brand of Stevia in liquid and powder form -Every one. I just can’t do it. It burns on my tongue and makes me feel weird. I love Splenda (especially drops) so I just roll with it, and all it’s chemical goodness.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Stevia smells deliciously like vanilla when my husband puts it in his coffee -- but every version of it or erythritol tastes ineradicably of licorice, and I hate it. Sucralose is my go-to. I've had allulose (in Quest Hero bars) and it tastes fine to me -- no bad digestive effects, either.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Splenda is sucralose, not aspartame. Sucralose is just a chlorinated sucrose, I think it has 3 chloro- subs for the hydroxyls, two on the fructose subunit and one on the glucose. Store bought Stevia is a processed natural product deglycosylating a steviol natural extract. From memory, on my phone so hard to look up the details right now.

I wouldn't put too much causation on a correlative link from a single experience. If it happens literally everytime then sure, choose something else I guess but there is no reason I can think of that stevia would make your feet cold.
  • Anvasilak
    Anvasilak Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I purchased certified organic stevia extract from Swansons Vitamins. It is pretty good. No after taste.
    Natural sweetener
    Calorie free
    Saccharin free
    Aspartame free
    Non bitter aftertaste
  • theoriginalkp
    theoriginalkp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. IDK what I was thinking when I bought that stuff. I tend to keep it very real with food.

I'd like to try coconut nectar...interesting.

Fyi, ingredients for it are Erythritol, Fructose, Chicory Root Fiber, Stevia Leaf Extract, Monk Fruit Extract. I think Erythritol is suspicious, for me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Erythritol is a sugar alcohol sourced typically from fermenting corn sugars and purifying the biproduct.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've tried them all and have all of them in the house. I like sucralose best, too. The maltodextrin mixed with it to make it granular 1:1 with sugar tastes bad to me, so I stick with liquid formulations. There's a vanilla flavored syrup in the coffee aisle of the grocery store (similar to the DaVinci and Toranni products) and more concentrated drops I buy on Amazon.

Also, instead of using one sweetener, using less of 2 sweeteners will halve the aftertaste of each. It takes experimentation. Good luck!