Birthdays

Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
I haven't properly celebrated a birthday since I turned 21 (and I wouldn't call that a celebration so much as an excuse to binge drink). What do most of you do on your birthday?

I usually just buy something I want and pretend the day doesn't exist.

Where do you go? What do you do? Do you even celebrate it after the age of 21? Is it worth celebrating?

I have questions.. give me answers.

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Usually just celebrate with family. I want to go to the Keys for my 30th though.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I don't make a big deal out of my birthday.

It's kinda like Christmas and Santa Claus. When you find out he's not real, the magic of it goes away..same with bdays and getting older imo.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usually we do dinner and the birthday person gets to pick. I always make hubs a cake, or at least buy one. He usually gets me flowers. We don't do big stuff, but we acknowledge the day. We don't really do much with gifts on any holidays.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i went to disneyworld on my last birthday and it wasn’t even a big one or anything, i just wanted to be in magic kingdom for my birthday. it was awesome, u wear a button telling everyone it’s yr birthday so all the characters and even random people are telling u “happy birthday!’ all day long. and space mountain and mickey ice cream bars. highly recommend.

humm, when I finally go to harry potter world I wonder if I should do it on my birthday?
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Usually just celebrate with family. I want to go to the Keys for my 30th though.

Doooooo it!! We went there for New Year's after a ten year absence and it was soooooooo nice. You'll enjoy it and if you go in the off season (no holidays and not summer), it's practically empty so you get to enjoy all the nice things, but without all the tourists!
    I prefer to pretend they don’t exist. Really after 35, there is nothing to celebrate. It all feels downhill from there.

Well, I just had to remember that I turned 33 at 6 AM this morning because my six year old asked, sooooo.. yeah. After 21 I just kind of forgot.

Mr_L33 wrote: »
    I lock myself in my room and cry on my bdays nowadays.

whats worst is that the lunar calendar has their own bday, so my parents adds an extra year for me. they like to celebrate twice -_-

Whaaaaaat?? Your parents must really love you to celebrate twice. :wink:

81Katz wrote: »
    I don't make a big deal out of my birthday.

It's kinda like Christmas and Santa Claus. When you find out he's not real, the magic of it goes away..same with bdays and getting older imo.

I don't, but apparently my six year old is.. so I'm kinda stuck. I can't pretend it doesn't exist because he already knows. :D
    i went to disneyworld on my last birthday and it wasn’t even a big one or anything, i just wanted to be in magic kingdom for my birthday. it was awesome, u wear a button telling everyone it’s yr birthday so all the characters and even random people are telling u “happy birthday!’ all day long. and space mountain and mickey ice cream bars. highly recommend.

Ha! I haven't been to Disney since I was 16. I bet a lot has changed since then! Good to know Space Mountain is still around, though! I love that ride.
    tamlou89 wrote: »
    I go for a meal with family on the day, then a night out with my girl friends. This year I'm going for a weekend away with my Mom.

That would be cool if I had a.) friends and b.) family nearby. Sadly, I have neither. I move a lot. Still, that sounds nice!
  • km8907
    Options

Doooooo it!! We went there for New Year's after a ten year absence and it was soooooooo nice. You'll enjoy it and if you go in the off season (no holidays and not summer), it's practically empty so you get to enjoy all the nice things, but without all the tourists!

Unfortunately my birthday is in June lol but maybe I'll go a few months early. Plus they haven't recovered from the hurricane yet so we'll see.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Unfortunately my birthday is in June lol but maybe I'll go a few months early. Plus they haven't recovered from the hurricane yet so we'll see.

I was there in January. There was debris around, but everything was up and open and traffic was normal. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My husband keeps remembering my birthday. What's up with that? Been trying to forget it for years.

Hitting the big 50 this year, people like to throw confetti and balloons in your face when 'turning another decade older' for some reason. Dreading it or not I'll play nice and not hide in my closet with cream puffs and boxes of tissues.
  • km8907
    Options

I was there in January. There was debris around, but everything was up and open and traffic was normal. :)

Which part did you go to?
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Happy Birthday @CanesGalactica

Thanks! :)
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    My husband keeps remembering my birthday. What's up with that? Been trying to forget it for years.

Hitting the big 50 this year, people like to throw confetti and balloons in your face when 'turning another decade older' for some reason. Dreading it or not I'll play nice and not hide in my closet with cream puffs and boxes of tissues.

My dad's family has this annoying habit of sending 'x' amount of cards depending on which 'big 0' you're hitting. So if you turn 40, expect 40 cards from each and every family member. :neutral:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday @CanesGalactica

Thanks! :)
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

My dad's family has this annoying habit of sending 'x' amount of cards depending on which 'big 0' you're hitting. So if you turn 40, expect 40 cards from each and every family member. :neutral:

Exactly, people do the craziest things when you hit the 'big O'. :smile:
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 in less than 2 weeks. Yikes! I am going to celebrate in Florida in less than a week. I'm sure I'll get a little smashed since the majority of ppl I'll be celebrating with are much younger than me. I fly back home my birthday where I will dine with family and friends.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I usually have cake.
  • qandv9
    qandv9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always stay somewhere overnight for my birthday. Sometimes its actually near my birthday and sometimes not. But i always treat myself to a night(s) away.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    This year for my birthday my friends took me out to a club
    And I felt like the old crew at the table
    (Still in my20s)

Everyone looked questionably young

But honestly I would have liked goin lazer tagging or rented a cabin with lots of whiskey