1g of protein per lb of body weight?

Options

Replies

• Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    So more carbs n fat, less protein. Ok, I will give it a try. Thanks for putting up with me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So more carbs n fat, less protein. Ok, I will give it a try. Thanks for putting up with me.

A good general approach is .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass, .35 to .45 grams of fat per lb of body weight, carbs for the rest. You can increase any one of those but you don't want to go lower on protein (not that I think that is an issue with you) and the .35 is kind of minimum for fats for optimum hormonal function.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Eating more than 2g protein per kg every day is actually harmful for your body so eating 160g on a 58kg bodyweight is way to much. You are almost at 3g protein per kg so you should really cut back some.

What is your research source for this? It doesn't agree with studies I've ever read.

Ye sorry my bad i read up on the study again and it was actually a consumption of 3,5-4,5 g/kg a day that could be harmful to your liver among other things

Right! All good!
    Options
    Ok my new plan:

Brotein: 152
    Carb: 380
    Fat: 101

Options
    Then why does MFP recommend 150???
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

You're good with the 152g you mentioned.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I wouldn't rely on generic calculators. You will probably see over time how it works for you and adjust everything properly. I personally try to avoid consuming more than 2g per 1kg as I don't see it as healthy for a long term.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

MFP gives you a flat percentage based on your calorie goal. If your goal was 5000 calories instead of 3000 it would tell you to eat something like 250 grams. If you were eating 1500 calories instead, it would tell you to eat 70 or so.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Okay there’s a lot of different recommendations on here lol thanks for all the input and info people it’s all really helpful and insightful for greater perspective, so does everyone agree that this will be the best method to follow..
    mmapags wrote: »

A good general approach is .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass, .35 to .45 grams of fat per lb of body weight, carbs for the rest. You can increase any one of those but you don't want to go lower on protein (not that I think that is an issue with you) and the .35 is kind of minimum for fats for optimum hormonal function.

So I weigh 128lb/58kg and my macros are currently: carbs: 467g. Fat: 69g. Protein: 150g. Should I take my protein down then?

Should I calculate my new macros using @mmapags advice?
    Thanks!
  • mmapags
    Options
    That's up to you. Those are kind of target macros. More protein doesn't mean more muscle building benefit. Once you are hitting (or exceeding) the protein and fats targets, the rest is personal preference.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I like the macro split @mmapags posted.
    Why not have the split you posted as your max limit, and the lower end of mmapags suggestion as your min limit?

That would mean-
    protein 100-150g
    Fat 45-69g
    And let carbs fill in the rest.

This would give you plenty of versatility without having to worry about being exact.
    Set your MFP macros however you like, just know you have leeway.

Cheers, h.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like the macro split @mmapags posted.
    Why not have the split you posted as your max limit, and the lower end of mmapags suggestion as your min limit?

That would mean-
    protein 100-150g
    Fat 45-69g
    And let carbs fill in the rest.

This would give you plenty of versatility without having to worry about being exact.
    Set your MFP macros however you like, just know you have leeway.

Cheers, h.

Okay that’s helpful to know thanks I do always try to get things to the same exact number day in day out but I can’t manage that all the time so this is helpful to know. Thank you.
  • sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I weigh 95kg how much protein do I need to maintain my muscles??
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sflano1271 wrote: »

Depends. Are you cutting, maintaining or bulking?
    a general rule of thumb would be about 1.75 grams per KG of goal weight (0.8grams per lb of goal weight) if cutting, less is fine if bulking or maintaining. So if your goal is 85kgs that would be a target of 148 grams.
  • sflano1271
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

a general rule of thumb would be about 1.75 grams per KG of goal weight (0.8grams per lb of goal weight) if cutting, less is fine if bulking or maintaining. So if your goal is 85kgs that would be a target of 148 grams.

Im cutting
  • sflano1271
    Options

Im cutting

I want to get down from 95kg to 65kg
  • erickirb
    Options

Im cutting

Then 65*1.75=114 grams, and should be a minimum amount to aim for
  • sflano1271
    Options

Im cutting

Cool do you know how much grams of carbs I should be getting and fats aswell???
  • erickirb
    Options

Im cutting

Cool do you know how much grams of carbs I should be getting and fats aswell???

A rule of thum for fat is 0.35-0.45 grams per lb so 0.75 to 1 gram per kg. ( would suggest 0.75 /kg of current weight or 1 gram per kg of goal weight, again fat should be a minimum. fill the rest of cals with carbs, and use the carbs as a max.

So in total:
    114 grams of protein, 65 grams of fat, this gives you:
    456 cals from protein, 585 grams of fat for a total of 1041, so if your calorie goal is say 1700 that would be 659 calories from carbs or 165 grams.
    For MFP you would have to put those in %, but use fat and protein as minimums and carbs as a max. In my 1700 cals example that would be 27% protein, round up to 30%, 34.4% for , round to 35%, which leaves you 35% for cabs, if your calorie goal is higher you may be 25% protein, 30% fat, 45% carbs