Squats

Options
cct204
cct204 Posts: 181 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey friends,
I've been upping my Squat game lately (going for that boo-tay! ) and my thighs are aching after... but not my rear. What's the deal? Is my form wrong?
I'm keeping my back straight and doing the a*s*s-to-grass squats. But I'm open to criticism and suggestions!

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Without reference, it's hard to suggest anything, but if you're going ATG and still not activating glutes, is it possible you might be divebombing in the hole and relying on the rebound to bounce you out of the hole? If so, try slowing down the eccentric (tempo squats or pause squats) and once you hit depth, you can explode up to lock out each rep. Lock out by squeezing glutes before setting up for the next rep.

Alternatively, if you're a non-responder for whatever reason to squats, then supplement with glute bridges as an accessory movement to take legs out of the equation after squats, or if doing them on an alternate day.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its most likely a form issue.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's pretty normal. Depending on your body shape, and a host of other factors you aren't necessarily going to feel squats a ton in your glutes, even if you are doing them "correctly". Add some more glute focused hinge pattern movements like deadlifts, hip thrusts and kettlebell swings.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hmm..I don't squat for a glute workout really. I find there are better exercises to target glutes.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've always noticed more thigh soreness as well. I very rarely feel the pain in my glutes and wondered for a while if I was engaging them enough but progress pics have definitely shown a noticible difference!!! How long ago did you up your squat game? Have you worked with someone on your form? Progress pics really put things in perspective and over time you should be able to see some development :) P.s...Glute Bridges and Hip thrusts are amazing for the backside if you want some extra focus on the booty!
  • cct204
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Hmm..I don't squat for a glute workout really. I find there are better exercises to target glutes.

Tell. Me. Everything. !!
    I would love suggestions to get a better booty! I lost 30lbs running and started doing weight training a few months ago but my rear is still flat as a pancake!!
  • cct204
    Options
    I've always noticed more thigh soreness as well. I very rarely feel the pain in my glutes and wondered for a while if I was engaging them enough but progress pics have definitely shown a noticible difference!!! How long ago did you up your squat game? Have you worked with someone on your form? Progress pics really put things in perspective and over time you should be able to see some development :) P.s...Glute Bridges and Hip thrusts are amazing for the backside if you want some extra focus on the booty!

I love this!! Awesome advice on the progress pics. I normally just do a quick mirror pic, I didn't think to do a booty/rear view pic too!!

*runs to take a "before" selfie*
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    My butt got flat in my initial cut as well. The goal was to build it back up, better. I’ve always had a large butt but it is more muscular now.

I gained weight while doing exercises from Strong Curves like the hip thrust, cable pull through and kick backs, in addition to my squats and deads. I was probably doing a form of barbell lunge as well.

guwua7w11kvy.png
    9zizspddz4r3.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Could be form, could be that your glutes aren't as strong yet, could be lack of activation... Also squats are great but they are more quad focused. I feel them in my glutes quite a bit but only certain variations.. and it took time.

Also to build the booty, look into Strong Curves as bbell mentioned. However in order to gain size you will find the best results eating at maintenance or above.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What kind of squats are you doing?

I used to be put all my time into high bar squats. My quad game was real.
    Since then I've turned to what helps me put the most weight on the bar. Low bar squats.
    They have a much greater emphasis on your glutes. And naturally I've made some fair peach boi booty gains. I train in the 1-5 range so naturally if I increased volume and decreased intensity I'd see more muscle growth across the entirety of my legs.

Are you in a surplus?
    It's about form
    Rep schemes
    Calories
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Low bar squats and deadlifts will get you pretty far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Squats are quad dominant...yes, they also work the glutes and hamstrings, but they are quad dominant so you're going to feel a lot more in your quads. Don't stop doing squats, but there are better movements that are more glute dominant.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    +1 for Strong Curves by Bret Contrares
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without really seeing you squat. Assuming everything is fine, you can try going more low bar and you might notice a little more glute activation but probably not to the degree that you're interested in achieving. At the end of the day and regardless of bar position, your hips and knees flex and then you extend your knees and hips to get back up. The position of the bar changes the stimulus and movement a little. I think the MFP population puts too much emphasis on this aspect of squatting. Put the bar where it's comfortable and squat, it's not science.

To really put some emphasis on the glutes, you will probably want to do a couple other exercises to focus on them. Bret Contrares damn near has it down to a science, so his body of work is pretty solid and would be a good place to start.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey friends,
    I've been upping my Squat game lately (going for that boo-tay! ) and my thighs are aching after... but not my rear. What's the deal? Is my form wrong?
    I'm keeping my back straight and doing the a*s*s-to-grass squats. But I'm open to criticism and suggestions!

Squats mainly target my quads too. AFAIK, they don't get the hamstrings and glutes all that much for most people. Deadlifts get my hamstrings pretty well. I mostly rely on back extensions to get the glutes. Glute bridges and hip thrusts are the main exercises usually done by those trying to target the glutes. (see Strong Curves/Bret Contrares if you want more options specifically to get the glutes).