Birthdays

Options

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Nothing. My husband usually gets me a sweet little gift, but I don't really need or want anything, and don't especially like all the attention, so it usually passes with a few happy bday texts/fb messages, and that's all. It's no big deal to me.
  • emilyofmysfamcottage
    Options
    Considering it's so effing hot at the end of August I don't really go anywhere uber special. My BFF will treat me to a birthday dinner though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My last birthday I went shopping at a big thrift store. It is something I like to do.

I usually do low key things because it seems like something bad always happens on my birthday. Things like stormy weather, my family going out without me, my pet dying, my parent forgetting my birthday, no one showing up to my party or people getting sick. Lots of bad birthdays in the past.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I need a cake from someone. Everything else is optional.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I turn 30 this year :D:s in about a month and a half... and it's actually on a Friday/weekend!!!
    I've been trying to think of something fun and different to do for like a year... haven't come up with anything!
    I guess I'm boring.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I turn 30 this year :D:s in about a month and a half... and it's actually on a Friday/weekend!!!
    I've been trying to think of something fun and different to do for like a year... haven't come up with anything!
    I guess I'm boring.

Go to Canada and get black out drunk. For extra excitement wear a shirt that says you hate hockey.

6rtssi5h27ug.jpg

Edit to add: make sure you have your friends record it for posterity.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I love birthdays, even at 41. My husband and I don't really do gifts but we like to go on a road trip, go out to dinner, etc. Usually I like to find a concert that is near my birthday and treat myself to that too.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm beyond caring. At this point, having them beats not having them. I've yet to have a milestone birthday that bothered me.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had a big birthday celebration. Usually I'll go out to brunch with the family and have something decadent like fried chicken and waffles. If my husband is in town, we'll go someplace fancy-ish for dinner.

Next year I do want to have a big party for my 50th...but my son's bar mitzvah will be a few weeks later, so there's a good chance it won't happen.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My husband usually takes me out to dinner, maybe do a little shopping. Last year he took me to Dave & Busters also, which I LOVED. I swear I am still a 12 year old. lol
  • metsjmitchell
    metsjmitchell Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Dread the day. What's the big deal anyway? We should celebrate our mothers on our birthdays!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Dread the day. What's the big deal anyway? We should celebrate our mothers on our birthdays!

I always wish my mom a Happy Labor Day on my birthday.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I haven't liked my birthday much since I turned 30. Except the presents part. I like that!

Uh.. I mostly buy myself gifts. My husband can't be bothered to buy gifts citing that he is "a terrible gift giver". I suppose I should be happy he remembers dates at all.

That would work if a.) I wasn't adopted and actually knew my mother and b.) if we didn't already have a day set aside to appreciate our mothers. :)

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Also, it's been really interesting reading how everyone celebrates (or doesn't). Thanks for the insights!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Sure.
    My mom is dead. She is in my thoughts pretty often. Every holiday or special occasion I miss her and remember her. I think she would want me to do something for myself and celebrate being alive than ignore the day I was born or celebrate her.

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I take off from work, so I don't have associated stress or emotion ruin my day.
    Eat noodles or long pasta at some point during the day (long standing tradition from my mom; long noodles = long life).
    Anything else is game. Had a very good time w/ friends drinking and eating all day and night for my 40th.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    It depends if I'm alone or not. And by alone I mean everyone I know has plans and don't want to hang out or do anything. I don't mind celebrating me once a year. Even if it's something small.

This year is a milestone b'day for me so I'm planning a trip.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    It depends if I'm alone or not. And by alone I mean everyone I know has plans and don't want to hang out or do anything. I don't mind celebrating me once a year. Even if it's something small.

This year is a milestone b'day for me so I'm planning a trip.

30?