Tummy Troubles

Options
Not sure if this is in the right message board, but I'm hoping for any type of guidance / suggestions.

My weight loss journey started in Sept. 2016. I lost a substantial amount of weight through tracking calories, then later macros. In September of 2017, I decided to try eating "paleo" so for a a few months I avoided carbs/gluten like the plague. It backfired and once Thanksgiving came around, I lost willpower and the next 2 months, I basically gained all the weight I lost. Bummer, but have mentally moved on and am back on track.

Now that I've gotten my nutrition back in check, I'm tracking macros (not eliminating any food group, etc.) but still prioritizing quality food. My issue is that I've now been stricken with some tummy woes and it's super frustrating. I've upped my fiber intake to about 30-40g a day, drinking at least 3-4 liters of water, taking a pre/probiotic and exercising regularly, but my bathroom visits are the issue. This is obviously gross and embarrassing, but the issue is super loose stool and bloating.

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue/success in resolving it? I thought it was just my body getting used to my new eating habits, but it's been nearly 4 weeks of this.

The reason I brought up the paleo part was that through some more research I found that even a month on a gluten free diet could affect gut flora - so not sure if now that i've re-introduced gluten, my tummy is out of whack and it's all my doing.

At the end of the day, I am probably going to stop taking the supplements I've been taking (rhodiola, fish oil and PEScience summer shred stack) to see if that has any affect. I've taken these before with no issue, but I figured I need to start somewhere.

It's the most frustrating part of it all - I've eaten this way before, taken these supplements before, so there is nothing I can pinpoint that I'm doing differently this time around that would have my tummy in turmoil.

I'm planning on a gastroenterology visit if the elimination method doesn't pan out because this is no bueno!

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Okay this may be a stupid question but ... are you drinking alot of coffee? It can sometimes create an issue. The other thing I have trouble with is artificial sweetners like sorbitol. Other than that it' likely a bug of some sort. I'd check with the doc. Four weeks sounds like a long time to suffer.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You will get lots of advice. Stop the supplements, then rule out one food group at a time and see if it gets better. Major culprits are typically dairy or gluten. Give each a minimum of 2 weeks. For me, I have a hard time with fatty red meat. Sensitivities can develop at any time.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Okay this may be a stupid question but ... are you drinking alot of coffee? It can sometimes create an issue. The other thing I have trouble with is artificial sweetners like sorbitol. Other than that it' likely a bug of some sort. I'd check with the doc. Four weeks sounds like a long time to suffer.

haha not stupid at all! but no, not a coffee drinker. i'll have green tea once and a while. and yes, i have read about the artificial sweeteners but i've made a habit of avoiding them for a while so i was thinking either the diet or, like you mentioned, maybe some kind of bug. i feel fine otherwise which is why i didn't put it high on the list of possible culprits.
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    You will get lots of advice. Stop the supplements, then rule out one food group at a time and see if it gets better. Major culprits are typically dairy or gluten. Give each a minimum of 2 weeks. For me, I have a hard time with fatty red meat. Sensitivities can develop at any time.

okay good plan - yes, I figured the sudden onset of sensitivity could be something that just happen to coincide with when i changed my eating habits. will give the elimination diet a try to see if anything else. thanks!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    How consistently are you having the problem? Daily?

Thinking back, can you tie the stomach problems to any other changes? Changes in diet? Routine? Schedule? Supplements? Coffee? Meal timing?

Unfortunately there are so many things that can lead to stomach issues.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Chromium picolinate is one of the main ingredients in the supplement you are taking, it's known to cause the stomach issues you are describing for some people.
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    How consistently are you having the problem? Daily?

Thinking back, can you tie the stomach problems to any other changes? Changes in diet? Routine? Schedule? Supplements? Coffee? Meal timing?

Unfortunately there are so many things that can lead to stomach issues.

Yes! :( unfortunately, it's been a daily struggle for the past few weeks and yes - there are so many possibilities which makes it quite frustrating.

It's like I want to eliminate everything to get some relief, but I want to make sure I know what's causing it so I can be sure to avoid! I really wish I could tie it back to something specifically, but other than the supplements I've added back in, food intake is all things I've eaten before with not much issue. But i've also taken these supplements before and never had a problem. Not to say I couldn't have developed a sensitivity to either though so the supplements will be the first to go I think.
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Chromium picolinate is one of the main ingredients in the supplement you are taking, it's known to cause the stomach issues you are describing for some people.

ah good to know that - when I searched for side affects of the supplements, i didn't see my exact issue per se, but maybe i didn't research enough. those are the first things to go! thank you
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    my parents both had issues when they were taking a pre/probiotic supplements. A few days after they stopped, things went back to normal for both of them.
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    my parents both had issues when they were taking a pre/probiotic supplements. A few days after they stopped, things went back to normal for both of them.

wow - well definitely something i'm going to stop. hopefully that will help turn things back around! thanks!
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    sarahcs107 wrote: »
    Hi !! I recomend to drink two tablespoos in the morning of apple cider vinagrate it helps me alot it has so many good sources to help your body it help me alot even the taste is not great but omg it works! I put it on just green tea or in the green juice I make every day in the morning then the taste is not bad after all

ah okay great, i'm definitely open to anything that could possibly help haha. thanks!
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    Do you by any chance chew a lot of sugar free gum? This happened to me continuously until I kicked my gum addiction!

ahh, i do not! i suppose it was the artificial sweeteners to blame?
  • sharpbj
    sharpbj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello. I had the exact same problem and i didn't take anything other than vitamins, just added more protein for my macros. I couldn't pinpoint the cause. Went to the doctor and i had a stomach bug. Took a Zpack for 4 days and voila, donezo.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I can relate. I use N.O.-Xplode. I've been thinking they should change the name to M.O.-Xplode! As the label says "Explosive Energy." LOL! It didn't use to cause that issue... I don't know if it's the latest version (something they added) or what. I still take it anyway. :flushed:
  • chase7612
    chase7612 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're prolly just so buff now your body is an expert at PULVERIZING food! It's a tough life being a beefcake... Try eating stronger foods like celery. *nods at his own intelligence*
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    sharpbj wrote: »
    Hello. I had the exact same problem and i didn't take anything other than vitamins, just added more protein for my macros. I couldn't pinpoint the cause. Went to the doctor and i had a stomach bug. Took a Zpack for 4 days and voila, donezo.

Haha - yeah I'm thinking of heading to the dr.'s next week just in case it is a bug or something. thanks!
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    I can relate. I use N.O.-Xplode. I've been thinking they should change the name to M.O.-Xplode! As the label says "Explosive Energy." LOL! It didn't use to cause that issue... I don't know if it's the latest version (something they added) or what. I still take it anyway. :flushed:

Haha you're a brave soul!
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    chase7612 wrote: »
    You're prolly just so buff now your body is an expert at PULVERIZING food! It's a tough life being a beefcake... Try eating stronger foods like celery. *nods at his own intelligence*

hahah, yes beef cake life is a rough one
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber can cause bloating and loose stools. Maybe shoot for only 20g per day.