Impatient

Options
I’ve made a few other posts asking what could be stalling weight loss, possible reasons being water retention, sleep deprivation, or just not working out enough. This morning I went back and saw a pattern, I lost the most weight when I was only eating one meal a day with a few light snacks. However, I was worried I was messing up my metabolism doing this and went back to eating lunch, along with dinner and snacks. Since then it seems that my weight loss progress has come to a halt, even going up a little.. although I’m still strictly doing a calorie deficit. Could eating lunch potentially be my problem?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Meal timing or having lunch as you're suggesting doesn't impact weight loss. Its eating more than your body burns that's the problem.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Assumption: X calories per day = calorie deficit.

X cals including a lunch will equal the same weight loss as X cals skipping lunch.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Just going to make up some numbers to illustrate a point.

Lets say you are trying to eat 1500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. Whether you eat those 1500 calories in one meal or eat them in 6 meals throughout the day has no affect whatsoever on how much weight you will lose but it can have a huge affect on how easy it is to maintain that diet while feeling satiated and comfortable.

I have no idea why your switch caused you to no longer lose weight...you haven't said how long this "stall" has been for but if it hasn't been over a couple of months then probably it isn't actually a "stall" at all and you just have to be patient. If it has been longer than a couple of months then my first assumption would be the switch has caused you to snack or eat more than you think you are eating.

Calories are a unit of energy, you cannot just produce energy from nothing so if you are getting more energy stopping your body from using its fat stores then you are taking in more food or doing less activity.

My guess though, given the title of this post, is that your "stall" has been for a couple of days in which cause as your title suggests you probably just need to be patient and not worry about your weight on a day to day basis.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I definitely was eating less calories when I was only eating dinner, like less than 1200 usually, I didn’t want my body to go into starvation mode so I started to eat more. that’s why I think my metabolism just got used to not many calories a day, so when I started to have more it might be causing a weight gain?

I've missed your other threads so apologies if you've addressed this, but my two questions would be 1) how much do you have to lose, and 2) are you sure your tracking is as on point as possible (i.e. always use a food scale, log everything, make sure the entries you're using are correct, no unlogged "cheat" meals or days)? If you have very little to lose it's going to take a long time and you've got to be patient and diligent. And even if you have a lot to lose, people are really, really bad at estimating their portions, much worse than they think. It's not a moral judgment, it's just a common fact. Either way, good luck!
  • kyraleigh7163
    kyraleigh7163 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m about 181 right now, I’ve lost 20 pounds already, and want to get down to around 130.. I don’t have a food scale but I try to track as accurately as possible!
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m about 181 right now, I’ve lost 20 pounds already, and want to get down to around 130.. I don’t have a food scale but I try to track as accurately as possible!

I started at 181 in mid August 2017 and am at 148.6 today. If you keep track of your intake and eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Try to look at the big picture and try to be patient. Reassessing your intake after every 10 lb loss is also a good idea as your required calories go down. It is important to get sufficient protein, so you do not end up with muscle loss, as you lose weight. Best wishes to you on your journey. :)
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

First things first, get a food scale. It is hard to accurately log your food intake without one. Ideally a digital scale. But you can find a old school manual food scale to suffice until you get a digital scale.
  • scttdmpsy
    scttdmpsy Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Platues happen. You were doing OMAD. It takes an adjustment over time. It is possible starting out on OMAD that you shed a lot of water weight at first. If that added lunch is now carb rich, it will retain water with it. Carb hold water with them. It’s a body building trick, go keto to cut and hit the carbs for the presentation to swell the muscels with hydration to look bigger.

Some say OMAD or 6 meals a day doesn’t matter, basically this doesn’t as to calories, yet there are a lot of varients. Spiking blood sugar too often for people with an already insulin resistance can cause weight gaining issues far and above the calorie count equal to OMAD.

Activity is a factor. On OMAD an active person will see gains in muscle weight. It’s shown in the lab with animal studies and even vegans are seeing muscle weight gain doing OMAD.

There are many factors to consider than just more than CICO, but bottom basic rule of thumb is CICO should be ball-parked.

Yes, OMAD low calorie intake will reach a plateau. The body does get used to it. The body does adapt. If you reached a plateau of a certain anount of calories on OMAD, then the activity level might be off. Increasing activity (conisder mornings) can change metabolism, yet even changing that up in different ways will make a difference. Arbold Schwarzenegger pushed this, you have to shock the routine and keep the body adapting to new changes.

Sleep is a factor. I was lean-ish, but not intil my sleep improve did I start to see my soft belly giggle start to flatten. I have always had that since preteens.

Inflammation is huge. I am still having leaning issues, yet have a little eczema. This means there are foods that are still measing with my body’s norm. So, I am trying even harder to eliminate wheat. Inflamation can keep cortisol up, and when it is up, fat matabolism is halted.

There are many factors for platues, and it takes patience and digging to concur it.