Stuck in a plateau, can't stay motivated

Options
gen724
gen724 Posts: 43 Member
Hello everyone. I'm writing here in hopes to receive some advice/support/motivation from everyone on here since this seems to be such an active (and supportive!) community. I have lost over 120 lbs in about 2 years... the first 60 I did with Weight Watchers, and the rest through portion control/medically prescribed appetite suppressant. I am no longer on this medication and found that I have gained some weight back, around 25 lbs or so. At my highest I was 336 and currently I am at 238, with my lowest being 210. My goal weight is 175 and for reference I am a 5'11 female so I have approx 65-70 lbs to go. This number seems so daunting! Even more so now that I have gained some weight. Each week I start fresh and do well at work, keep my exercise consistent (I work out approx 4-5 days a week, 45 mins-1 hour a day doing cardio and HIIT, typically), but I can't seem to stay motivated/focused with my eating. I am a snacker and at night and after dinner it's hard for me to not snack and also difficult to manage portion control. I will lose 2lbs in 1 week then gain 3, lose 4 and gain 1, etc etc. Help!

Any advice on staying focused or keeping the motivation? I am afraid I am going to wake up one morning and be right back at 336, something I do not want. I appreciate any responses!

Replies

• Omnimous69
    Omnimous69 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. You are down by 100, not up by 25! Drink copious amounts of water when you get hungry, or portion control during the day a bit more and plan a healthy snack for the evening, like air popped popcorn with some butter.
    Good luck and remember, it's a lifestyle, not a diet! If you need to cheat once a week, do it.
  • gen724
    Options
    Thank you! I drink a lot of water regularly but have been slacking a bit in that area. Definitely going to start there!
  • gpurvis63
    gpurvis63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, Good for you!! That's an impressive weight loss! Second, I think you need to focus on why you started losing weight, not the numbers. Is it to fight diabetes? That's important. Is it to battle hypertension? Again, important. Is it to look better? Super important! Don't think of it so much as a diet, because two years is a long time for you to be in food prison. I understand why you're losing motivation if that's how you view it. You're experiencing a life change. Even when you reach your goal, you will have to manage what you eat. It won't be a free-for-all. So, again, don't think of it as a diet. To help with that change of view, try going to a counselor, or even reading self-help books. I know it sounds corny, but it actually does work - depending on how much you want to affect this massive, wonderful change.

What helps me right now is not thinking of starting each day anew, but each bite. If you find yourself falling off the wagon, you can right yourself at that point, right then, not wait for the next day, because, if you're like me, that one bite of an apple streusel, can lead to binge-eating for the rest of the day.

When my little tricks don't work for me, I, uncharacteristically, think of the tried and true scientific approach: less food (calories) + exercise = weight loss. Guaranteed.

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your journey!!
  • 1fratguy
    1fratguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm,This is a toughy because when trying to lose weight diet is key however eating is also important. I know your struggle all too well because I also love my food and therefore greedy. -I'm also a snacker too. My advice would be to try and cut sugar from your diet, it's imperative and there are many other alternatives you can eat that doesn't have added sugar.

I suspect If you're in the gym 4-5 times a week your body might be telling you it needs more fuel, especially if you're doing cardio. Try and have a good breakfast in the mornings; something that will sustain you to lunch. Snacks are good but be mindful of what fuel they provide and the calorie impact they could have with a choice that doesn't agree with the goal you've set for yourself. My last bit of advice would be to (do what someone who's further along in their journey to a healthier life told me).... trust the process. You've come this far and have achieved great success, don't give up! And lastly...JUST EAT!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging meals and snacks helps, as does pre-packing snack into portions.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been finding that bubbly water fills me up, quite nicely. Even if you drink a whole quart, that's not many calories and it's water, so win-win. :smile:
  • gen724
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! I am trying to keep it simple for now and focus on taking things day by day. I have been logging mostly everything (good the bad the ugly) and it definitely helps to see where I can make improvements