Planet Fitness Success Stories?

Options
So I just cancelled my goodlife membership in favour of the much cheaper planet fitness, anyone else out there with planet fitness? Add me!! I’m very new to this machines and their machines are slightly different than goodlife.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think they use Life Fitness machines. There should be pictures on the machines detailing how to use them.

Here's a demo playlist by Life Fitness:
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    I’ve been a member at PF for a long time now. They get a bad rap from some people, but you can’t beat the price and unlimited tanning you get with the black card. I’ve never had a bad experience. They work for me :smile:

Why exactly do they have a bad rap??

• georgebumgarner1989
    Options
    Mine has bench and squat racks. Granted they aren't conventional, they still work.
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    They don’t have squat and bench racks, which makes it kind of difficult for some hardcore lifters to do various workouts. They have an alarm that sounds if someone slams a weight down too hard. They call themselves a “judgment-free zone” which prohibits certain behavior and clothing attire in the gym. It’s just not an ideal gym for those geared more towards serious body building, etc. That being said, it doesn’t bother me, and has everything I need, so they’re not a bad gym in my opinion.

Is it true you get in trouble there for wearing a wife beater or a sports bra only? Genuinely curious.

• eringrace95_
    Options
    They don’t have squat and bench racks, which makes it kind of difficult for some hardcore lifters to do various workouts. They have an alarm that sounds if someone slams a weight down too hard. They call themselves a “judgment-free zone” which prohibits certain behavior and clothing attire in the gym. It’s just not an ideal gym for those geared more towards serious body building, etc. That being said, it doesn’t bother me, and has everything I need, so they’re not a bad gym in my opinion.

Is it true you get in trouble there for wearing a wife beater or a sports bra only? Genuinely curious.

I’m curios too, I guess I should have done more research this is all giving me pretty bad anxiety lol. Not that I feel like I have enough confidence to wear just a sports bra anyways
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Not for everybody but it suits me fine. The machines in the one I go to are Cybex. Also, pretty sure the trainer is, or will soon be a franchise owner. That makes a difference and is probably pretty unusual.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    If you want to powerlift or go really hardcore into bodybuilding you will probably out grow Planet Fitness (although some people have made it work). If not it will probably work for you just fine. It is a good gym that doesn't hype things up very much and if you are looking for a cheap place to knock out a workout it is hard to beat.

While I'm not a member (I have a home gym) Planet Fitness is my go to when on the road and I can't find a close independent gym to hit up. It is clean and consistent and they don't care if I bring my own dip belt.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Mine has bench and squat racks. Granted they aren't conventional, they still work.

They have Smith machines, which some people insist are dangerous because the strictly linear movement produces bad form, which can lead to injury. I haven't tried them, so don't know on that one.
    I will say that their other chest press machine has a rather unnatural feeling movement to it as well. The third bench press option is to use dumbbells, but that is obviously only going to go so far in terms of available weight. So my biggest criticism of PF is they don't have anything to serve as a proper bench press. On the other hand, they're cheap, and the one I belong to has water rowers.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

In some franchises, yes. At some, no.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    PF is my umbrella/ice/snow plan.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    pfmember <3
  • faythe621
    faythe621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use PF! Good gym for moderate/beginning. Black card gets you a guest and unlimited tanning. Can't beat it. I just wish they had childcare for my 1 year old but for $20/month it's a good deal.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been there for close to two years now and am very happy with it.

Here is a youtube channel that is more specific to Planet Fitness and their machines -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnA2IGSh8jOPPiz20oamKzA/videos

https://youtu.be/1N0RYgpFsa4
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    ErinSot wrote: »
    I’ve been a member at PF for a long time now. They get a bad rap from some people, but you can’t beat the price and unlimited tanning you get with the black card. I’ve never had a bad experience. They work for me :smile:

Why exactly do they have a bad rap??

Some people are offended by the PF marketing strategy demonstrated in this ad. (I think the ad is hilarious.) PF is going after one (large) segment of the gym-going population, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSeOieLh7s

If you look through PF threads in the Fitness forum, you'll get other points of view.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i was a member for 3 years. i loved it, would still be there if there were one near me.

all the negative things people talk about, were non existent at the one i went to. no pizza or bagels or buzzers or people getting in trouble for wearing whatever.

just ... a gym.

i loved their shower rooms. and it was the CLEANEST gym ive ever been a member of. and the staff, genuinely friendly.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was checking out gyms yesterday and walked into a planet fitness to ask about prices. The employee literally said ‘ huh? Like did you look at our website? Like uh, so like you’re like wanting to know how much it is? Like uh, so you don’t like have a membership? So like what do you want? Didn’t you like look at our website?’
    I was not impressed with either his vocabulary nor intelligence :D
    Not to mention, it stank ( not bo but stank of chemicals). It looked like a Costco warehouse.
    I’m personally not surprised at all the negative things that I hear